• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal: Hire Bitcoin Core Developer to work for Dash

I am confused why are you talking about phases, when we have barely begun discussing:

a) What the hell would a bitcoin dev do on this project
b) Would this contribution be worthwhile
c) If not is this endorsement/marketing worth the price e.g maybe the money would be better spend elsewhere
d) The possible negative effect it would have on the current dev team
e) If this is the right time for this, perhaps after evolution is complete
f) A bunch of other issues that have been raised

I get that your amped on the idea of a bitcoin dev jumping ship and the price exploding, but phases are at the bottom of a long list of considerations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount is big, I know. And it's huge compared to Evan and the rest of the team's current compensation. But it's not that big compared to salaries of what these developers could be making. If we make some big moves with the money we have right now, we'll eventually have enough in the budget to pay salaries to our current great dev team. It's all about making sure that people have the right incentives. Our developers aren't working out of the goodness of their hearts and they aren't working for the 58.3 Dash they get each month either. They're working because they're holding enough that if they create something great and the price increases it will have been worth it. In order to get someone who holds no Dash to work for and to be invested in the project we need to give them a ton of Dash.

I realize that Evan is greatly motivated by his personal holdings of Dash, and I'm sure most of the other devs are as well. But paying an outsider ONE HUNDRED THIRTY THREE TIMES* what you are paying the guy who *invented the entire currency* is a massive slap in the face. I cannot possibly think of anything more insulting.

"Here you go Evan. Here's your 50 Dash for the month. Oh hey Gavin, here's your 6600 Dash for your months' work."

(Evan currently gets about 50 Dash per month. Your proposal suggests paying an outsider in the neighborhood of $200K per year, which is presently 133x Evan's annual pay at the current price of Dash.)

I have some other idea. Why not we somehow use our second tier network for bitcoin mixing as well? I know the dark net is doing it. It does not hurt to provide that bitcoin mixing on a dash MN network if Evan will still call it MN network in a few months. The BTC network can gain its InstantX and coin mixing all here with the DASH second tier network with a small fee.

EDIT: I meant some service on the dark net is doing the bitcoin mixing. I think the name is Bitcoin Fog Company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some other idea. Why not we somehow use our second tier network for bitcoin mixing as well? I know the dark net is doing it. It does not hurt to provide that bitcoin mixing on a dash MN network if Evan will still call it MN network in a few months. The BTC network can gain its InstantX and coin mixing all here with the DASH second tier network with a small fee.

EDIT: I meant some service on the dark net is doing the bitcoin mixing. I think the name is Bitcoin Fog Company.

Pretty sure the services are all centralized and require trust since obfuscation is not built into the protocol. You'd have to send them bitcoins which they mix with other people's coins, and then if you're lucky they send you some coins back. Dash does it all at the protocol level, eliminating the need for trust because your money never leaves your wallet.

Hypothetically, let's say you convince Gavin to come work for us. Every Bitcoin publication in the world trumpets the headlines. Dash soars in value. I think you're right--this is exactly what will happen. But let me add to your plan:

Phase IV--After the initial hype, the price of Dash returns to where it was previously. Nothing in the project has fundamentally changed, the coin is not fundamentally better, we just have one more talented developer on top of our existing multi-person development team. In the meantime, Evan is insulted that we are paying someone new 133x his annual "salary" and becomes less motivated.

Phase V--Gavin doesn't actually believe in Dash, he's just working for a check. He has a big head and thinks he knows everything, because he was lead dev for the granddaddy of them all, and how dare anyone from a $14 million coin tell him how to code. After all, he was "in charge" of a $5 billion coin. Disagreements arise, and even if he stays, he doesn't do his best work because he's working for something he doesn't believe in. I've never once heard of a startup that changed the world by hiring "non-believers" and paying them enormous salaries. All the ones I can think of--certainly in the tech field--were started by "true believers," visionaries who worked for a pittance in exchange for significant equity and a chance to see their dream come to life.

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting now because this is your thread, and I have no intention of derailing it. I personally admire your thinking outside the box and I think that's a very good thing for Dash. I just think this particular idea is a non-starter, and I'm 99% sure that the vote would never pass in any event. I do hope you keep coming up with ideas like this though, because they are certainly very intriguing and thought-provoking!

(..)
Can you please name some of the bad consequences?(...)

David's hypothesis, for example, brings two possible bad outcomes:
  • Our current developers losing motivation;
  • The hired Bitcoin dev's arrogance becoming a huge problem.

Also, if the hired Bitcoin dev happens to be a total jerk, too proud to admit BTC is not enough, he may not ever commit himself to our project. He could, for example, receive the money we pay and, out of pure disdain, dump all the received DASH. In the end he could leave us, boasting everywhere (lying, of course) that he left DASH because it's inferior to BTC, etc... :what:

Hypothetically, let's say you convince Gavin to come work for us. Every Bitcoin publication in the world trumpets the headlines. Dash soars in value. I think you're right--this is exactly what will happen. But let me add to your plan:

Phase IV--After the initial hype, the price of Dash returns to where it was previously. Nothing in the project has fundamentally changed, the coin is not fundamentally better, we just have one more talented developer on top of our existing multi-person development team. In the meantime, Evan is insulted that we are paying someone new 133x his annual "salary" and becomes less motivated.

Phase V--Gavin doesn't actually believe in Dash, he's just working for a check. He has a big head and thinks he knows everything, because he was lead dev for the granddaddy of them all, and how dare anyone from a $14 million coin tell him how to code. After all, he was "in charge" of a $5 billion coin. Disagreements arise, and even if he stays, he doesn't do his best work because he's working for something he doesn't believe in. I've never once heard of a startup that changed the world by hiring "non-believers" and paying them enormous salaries. All the ones I can think of--certainly in the tech field--were started by "true believers," visionaries who worked for a pittance in exchange for significant equity and a chance to see their dream come to life.

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting now because this is your thread, and I have no intention of derailing it. I personally admire your thinking outside the box and I think that's a very good thing for Dash. I just think this particular idea is a non-starter, and I'm 99% sure that the vote would never pass in any event. I do hope you keep coming up with ideas like this though, because they are certainly very intriguing and thought-provoking!

Maybe a short movie like this,
, could have much better marketing effects :grin:

Pretty sure the services are all centralized and require trust since obfuscation is not built into the protocol. You'd have to send them bitcoins which they mix with other people's coins, and then if you're lucky they send you some coins back. Dash does it all at the protocol level, eliminating the need for trust because your money never leaves your wallet.
That's exactly why I think we will have a DASH second tier network product for those who want to mix their BTC. We have a decentralized solution for them with all their wanted features that would be too hard to implement on their network because their developers cannot even agree on issues like block size and etc.

I'd like to hear Evan's take on this. He's the main dev and it's vital that any other devs added have a good relationship with the main dev.

Sure. Our developers' honest opinions would be number one necessary prerequisite for such proposal.

Back