• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget glitch?

Your example of 0.0001 dash being worth $200 is ridiculous.. that's one million times it's current value, in US dollars... by the time one dollar is worth one million, would you still be using it? Like I said earlier, bitcoin is currently 168x more expensive than dash.

If you take my example from above, moving the decimal 3 to the right, then your 0.0001 dash becomes 0.1.dash. You'd still have two more decimal places, and that your example is ONE TWENTY-MILLIONTH in size.

ok, so if you don't care where the decimal place is, it's just a name, why are you against it?

YOU can handle those decimal places because YOU are so smart... it's not for you, it's for onboarding new users that don't have your smarts

YOU can handle those decimal places because YOU are so smart... it's not for you, it's for onboarding new users that don't have your smarts
This has nothing to do with smart.
It's about cutting off your nose because you don't like it, when you can just not look in the mirror because you're beautiful just the way you are.
Maybe that's why the client has that setting for showing as many decimal points as you feel like...

The coinomi app, for example, displays 4 decimal places or 8 if you tap it. It goes to 8 decimal places for the reason you stated.. and inherited from it's bitcoin fork. Every dash developer takes it's lead and prerogative from this reference, it's not enforced.

Personally, I agree with you that the decimal place is notional, however, your average Joe does not see things the same way.. they don't want to be dealing with point zeroes or crypto dust. And btw, four decimal places is a big turnoff for Chinese users (bad luck). What we need is some kind of enforcement.

One day there MAY be a problem with the 18.9m supply indeed. 18.9m * 100000000 duffs = 1.89e+15 or 1.890.000.000.000.000 (1.89 quadrillion). If you want to reserve two decimals for cents it "only" 18.9trillion (thats about the total debt of the US alone).

I think we will find ourselves in the same boat as the Bitcoin community when their currency reached astronomical values per unit...merchants and converters will simply price everything in mDASH.

People think that spending $50,000 on a bitcoin would be ridiculous, but by the time bitcoin is worth that much, they will *actually* be spending $50 on an mBTC. Nobody will talk about whole bitcoin anymore...everything will be based on mBTC.

As a practical matter it's irrelevant anyway. Either a 1000:1 split or pricing in mDASH...it's all the same so it doesn't really matter to me. Plus, we're still a ways from needing to do that =)

One day there MAY be a problem with the 18.9m supply indeed. 18.9m * 100000000 duffs = 1.89e+15 or 1.890.000.000.000.000 (1.89 quadrillion). If you want to reserve two decimals for cents it "only" 18.9trillion (thats about the total debt of the US alone).
I don't think there is any way we'll have more than 15,000,000 coins in 150 years, and that's if we don't keep burning them up in the budget system :p

If dash's goal is simply to replace Paypal i.e. an intermediately between other currencies, then I don't think any of this matters because ultimately we'll all be looking at the US dollar value etc. But if we want wide-spread acceptance, to be an integral part of a fully functioning economy, then we need to seriously look at these issues.

So, one dash becomes worth $50,000 and we switch to mDash or whatever... that's not as simple as it sounds, it's like asking americans to go metric - haha, fat chance of that happening - so why don't we just address the issue now? Keep in mind, this is not about us here in this forum, this is about the onboarding of new users that will respond better to something closer to what they currently use.

Yes it is that simple. You would probably use them today even. If you are buying a car pay in Dash, buying a pop pay in mDash, buying a piece of gum pay in uDash, and if you have a pay per second phone(of the future) you pay in duffs. Advertisers and vendors pick the best way to show pricing. This really won't matter anyway, the QR codes will populate the pricing in your wallet so you don't even have to keep track of decimals.

Gold is sold in mg, oz, and tons depending on how much you are buying/measuring at a time. Do we just go around and recalibrate all the scales so the numbers LOOK right, no. People get the difference.

Can we move on to something useful? Maybe GrandMasterDash can do a Dash rap for us. There must be some relation to the great Grand Master Flash.

Back