• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bitcoin Rush episode Thread

Now while Bitcoin Rush is not my cup of tea, does anyone have any alternatives to suggest? Perhaps we should do the whole video ourselves? Instead of simply shooting Rush down.

F2000 put together a good list..
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg9354938#msg9354938

Can we remove the word official from this thread please?
If this is just a community organised interview then I'll back off and be still. But an offical video should be like the samples in f2000's list

Just to note I quite like Bitcoin Rush and don't mean any offence. It's just a question of suitability.

Spending money within the crypto scene is a complete waste. Cryptognats already know what Darkcoin is, and they mostly don't give a shit about it.

If you're going to spend money on marketing, spend it on something that will appeal to a broader audience, ie. hire a professional firm to do it.

Just to note I quite like Bitcoin Rush and don't mean any offence. It's just a question of suitability.

Yes, I totally agree...it comes down to taste. I hope it doesnt look like I'm attacking the guy (im not), I just want to make sure we are going down the right road.

Spending money within the crypto scene is a complete waste. Cryptognats already know what Darkcoin is, and they mostly don't give a shit about it.

If you're going to spend money on marketing, spend it on something that will appeal to a broader audience, ie. hire a professional firm to do it.

Nail/head.

Aye, the recent forexminute article stresses how Dark is lagging because of lack of adoption by merchants. Nobody is using it so it's just become a commodity. I'm not sure how this can be addressed beyond people just spreading their Dark around more. Plug 300 dollars into Bittrex and then spread it about would do more good than videos, etc.

Aye, the recent forexminute article stresses how Dark is lagging because of lack of adoption by merchants. Nobody is using it so it's just become a commodity. I'm not sure how this can be addressed beyond people just spreading their Dark around more. Plug 300 dollars into Bittrex and then spread it about would do more good than videos, etc.

I think a simple animation explaining how, why and general privacy wouldn't be a waste at all. It makes a great thing to refer to, it helps non-cryptognats understand Darkcoin is not just about darkmarkets and means journalists/public have an official viewpoint/overview to learn about Darkcoin. But short, simple, animated. Stylistically neutral.

Your money, your business. Use darkcoin.

Your own PRIVATE bank.

etc.

I see people on /r/darknetmarkets spreadng false information (either intentionally or simply because they dont know). For example, last time I checked they still thought centralised mixers were "good enough"...promo videos would squash rumours like those quick and painless. Not that we should focus on these types of markets (infact we, Darkcoin should prob distance ourselves from them)

Plus and perhaps more importantly, sites will use the videos as "click bait" on their sites...almost guaranteed. Most tech journalists dont even bother wiring proper articles anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see people on /r/darknetmarkets spreadng false information (either intentionally or simply because they dont know). For example, last time I checked they still thought centralised mixers were "good enough"...promo videos would squash rumours like those quick and painless. Not that we should focus on these types of markets (infact we, Darkcoin should prob distance ourselves from them)

Plus and perhaps more importantly, sites will use the videos as "click bait" on their sites...almost guaranteed. Most tech journalists dont even bother wiring proper articles anymore.

I agree
we should use this opportunity to make a professional animated video !
For the Show, but even more important for us and DRK !
How hard can that be ?! (well i can not do it obviously)
lets get some bounty behind this and get that sorted !
The show is one thing, and (sure the guy is a bit nuts) but it is PR !
and while we do that, lets make the best out of it and do a video we can use for a Million other things,
then this show is 100% so worth it !

TaoOfSatoshi
PS:
you should change the title,
as
"Official Darkcoin Promo Video Thread (We need ideas...)"
confuses the heck out of people as now they are all stressing out that this will be the OFFICAL DRK Video used for the next 25 years......>
(just a thought)

Wait wait. BitcoinRush seems to be pretty set on making this video.

If he wanted to do it no1 could stop him.

It looks like its happening whether you like it or not. So lets move on, put our heads together and make the best of it!

Tao the OP title could be misconstrued as the official Darkcoin video forever. :}

But imo this is just 1 video talking about how darkcoin works... There will be many more videos made, some worse some better. I say go for it!

TaoOfSatoshi
PS:
you should change the title,
as
"Official Darkcoin Promo Video Thread (We need ideas...)"
confuses the heck out of people as now they are all stressing out that this will be the OFFICAL DRK Video used for the next 25 years......>
(just a thought)
I totally agree, I would like to change it, if someone could tell me how. When I go to the Edit OP, I don't see where to change the title. Maybe, if a mod is watching, we can change the title to Bitcoin Rush Video Thread (This is not the Official Promo Video)

Hello to all!

I have met, through the DTPI, a gentleman who runs the show "Bitcoin Rush". He is a wonderful, funny speaker and the team and I feel that it would be great to have him feature us on his show. This would not be our official promo video, so these fears can be put to rest....

Please click here to see an example of his work:

http://t.co/XLHAHlJxD1

This will be a great opportunity to help debunk the myths that surround Darkcoin, show off our superior technology, and promote Masternode ownership.

An episode of "Bitcoin Rush" usually lasts about 15 minutes, and is divided up into many smaller parts. However, for this episode, he has agreed to dedicate the whole episode to Darkcoin.

He usually asks for a $70-100 donation for his services, but we would take up the whole episode, so we offered him $300 in DRK and he accepted.

So, we need help to come up with content for the video, (images, creative snippets, and whatnot) and to crowdfund the $300.00 in DRK.

Use this thread to brainstorm possible ideas....

An added bonus, Evan has agreed to do an interview, or recorded monologue for the show!

The host of "Bitcoin Rush" will create an account here, post on this thread, and help us out as well!

Please submit ideas here. Looking forward to the community's creativity! Spread the word as well, Darkcoiners...

Tao Of Satoshi
f2000 pbleak Sapereaude darkwing thelonecrouton tungfa defunctec ALL

Thank you for your concerns. I think I presented this thread in the wrong way. This is not the Official Video, it's just the Official Thread FOR the video! My mistake.

Original post has been updated, just waiting on a thread rename to "Bitcoin Rush Video Thread (Not the official Darkcoin Promo Video)"

There is no such thing as bad publicity! What's the harm in making a video with him? It's not going to be the last one we ever make, and it's good to have variety. I am the first one who wants to have a slick, professsional official video done, but these kinds of videos have their place as well. We can make this into whatever we want, it doesn't have to look like the sample, ours can be much better...

The 15min StoryBoard

1. - Introduction - (0.5 min)
2. - Brief History - (1 min)
3. - What is DRK - (1 min)
4. - Why Privacy is important (1.5 min)
5. - Evan Interview and/or statement - (2 min)
6. - What are MN's and why are they important - (2 min)
7. - Latest features and Release info - (3 min)
8. - What is InstantX and how it will Change Crypto - (2 min)
9. - Brief closing statement from Evan - (1.5 min)
10. - Conclusion - (0.5 min)

Exactly 15 mins

Let us know what you think - this is just a start

1. - Introduction - (0.5 min)
Darkcoin is a crypto currency based off of the more famous Bitcoin. For those familiar with Bitcoin, Darkcoin is built upon Bitcoin’s foundation and therefore it is easy to modify existing programs built for Bitcoin to service merchants, exchanges, wallets, etc... The new technology the Darkcoin developers have created has been built upon this foundation.

2. - Brief History - (1 min)
It has become increasingly clear to many that the current monetary system the world functions under is corrupt, unsustainable and so grossly manipulated by governments that it has caused the world economy extreme volatility. Many people have tried since the 1960s to create a monetary system that was not corruptible nor subject to counterfeiting. Many inventions from the past, going back to cryptography’s beginnings in WWII have contributed to the eventual creation of Bitcoin, but it was not until Satoshi Nakamoto combined cryptography, with a system of “mining”to create new coins, and a ledger called the blockchain that a true crypto currency was finally created. As the miners mine the coins, they are also verifying the blockchains integrity. If the blockchain is manipulated by someone, and more than 50% of the other miners disagree with the changes, then their input will be rejected. In this way, the blockchain is kept safe from false coins being introduced to the system or from coins being spent twice.

3. - What is DRK - (1 min)
Despite Bitcoin being so amazingly useful and secure, there has come to light a major issue. Privacy. Once a person spends their coins somewhere, that person’s identity can be attached to their account, and from there, one can trace all the coins in that person’s wallet since they were acquired and see where they were spent or how many coins are in their wallet or wallets. Especially with new services that can be used online, it is trivial to look inside of a person’s wallet and see what they’ve spent their money on. Even multiple accounts or wallets that belong to one person can be determined with relative certainty via analysis.

4. - Why Privacy is important (1.5 min)
Why is privacy important? In the United States of America, the right to privacy is spelled out in all 4 of the first 4 amendments to our constitution. It was obviously the first thing the founding fathers realized they missed when writing the constitution. Unlike other amendments that didn’t survive the test of time, these amendments have never been repealed. They make up our most basic freedoms. Glenn Greenwald recently did a TED talk entitled “Why privacy matters”. At it’s root, people do not act freely if they feel they are being watched. From pursuing your passion of collecting light bulbs, to enjoying that chocolate cake, if the powers that be looked down upon these perfectly legal activities, would you indulge in those activites freely when you know they could be recorded? You have nothing to hide! Or do you?
5. - Evan Interview and/or statement - (2 min)
Who are you and why did you become interested in crypto currency?
When did you realize you should make yet another alt coin?
Did you expect your alt coin to become so successful?
What do you see as the future of Darkcoin?

6. - What are MN's and why are they important - (2 min)
Masternodes are regular wallets, usually run as a basic command line daemon rather than the graphical interface most people use, but not always. They process DarkSend transactions. DarkSend is the name of the technology that obfuscates coins, making them fungible, or interchangeable and without individual identity like cash. What makes these nodes or wallets different is that they have access to and have put on hold, 1000 coins as collateral. This allows them to function at another level where they are entered onto a Masternode list and, if randomly chosen by the network via a voting system, this wallet will host the mixing process which obfuscates the history behind the coins.
When being mixed, the mixing of the coins and the connection to the past of the coins is never recorded into the blockchain. In this way, although the identity of a coin is verified going in, what comes out is a coin of equal value that has a new identity, but you cannot tell which of the 3 coins (of the same value) got which new identity. It is possible for a rogue Masternode to record what happened, however, if the user chooses to mix the coins a multiple number of times, it becomes more and more impossible for any entity to follow the coins. Even if they hold 90% of the Masternode network, which is in itself an improbability due to the cost of making the nodes (1000 coins for each node) and how gaining enough nodes to control the network would inflate the price of the coins exponentially. This is a well thought out balancing act that can be adjusted over time if need be.

7. - Latest features and Release info - (3 min)
With DarkSend now functioning as intended, the Darkcoin team is now focusing on instant transactions. This new technology is being called instantX.
There have been many other proposals for the Masternode network. It could possibly be used as a TOR-like network which, with the masternode network being decentralized and secure, can be far more secure than current options for accessing the internet anonymously. (see why is privacy important above).
Another issue that Masternodes may solve is creating a fully decentralized exchange, so that exchange failures, frauds and thefts can be a thing of the past. Current ideas include using exchange businesses to do the actually matching up of sells and buys, while the masternodes process the transfers that never leave the control of the wallet owner until the moment of exchange. This would use something like a multi-signature wallet.
Others have expressed interest in having Masternodes host a decentralized marketplace, and a p2p private messaging system is also enthusiastically being awaited.
It is becoming apparent that this masternode network Darkcoin created, due to it’s decentralization and security in redundancy, presents endless possibilities for future growth in the crypto coin environment.

8. - What is InstantX and how it will Change Crypto - (2 min)
InstantX? What is it? The developers are now giving the Masternodes the tools to verify, beyond doubt, that a transaction is valid, which only takes a handful of seconds, instead of waiting for miners to find a block, which takes an average of 2.5 minutes. If any transaction should turn out to be unverifiable, the transaction will be held until it can be verified by the mining process which acts as a backup. This should only be a rare occurrence. If this process proves to be extremely reliable, there is a possibility that finding mining blocks might be extended to only once an hour or a few per day, reducing the size of the blockchain, and keeping blockchain bloat under control.
The bloated blockchain is always a problem, because wallets are required to download and store what becomes a massive file. Currently, the Bitcoin blockchain is closing in on 24 gigabytes. That’s a lot of hard drive space every single wallet user must maintain. Otherwise, a user must rely on a single blockchain host and a specialty wallet. This is usually fine, however it creates centralization and a possible point of failure.
Masternodes, on the other hand, could also host the blockchain for lightweight wallets. And being a part of a large network whose blockchains are constantly being checked, does not create a single point of failure. So once again, longer block times equals a smaller blockchain and masternode network can keep the blockchain decentralized while serving it up to lightweight wallet holders without possibility of compromise.

9. - Brief closing statement from Evan - (1.5 min)
Whatever he would like to say.

10. - Conclusion - (0.5 min)
Since the early, reckless beginnings of Darkcoin, Evan Duffield’s passion for finance and programming has pushed it to the extreme forefront of alternate crypto currencies. In fact, no other coin currently functions in the realm of privacy as securely and as well as Darkcoin. The coin’s functionality and code have already been peer reviewed by Kristov Atlas, who’s few concerns have been addressed and corrected already and nearly all the kinks that required hard forks (probably the most hard forks of any coin) are in almost Darkcoin’s past now. Not only that, but the technology also created by Evan Duffield of the “spork” or soft-fork, has made forking the code much safer for the network.
You can expect Darkcoin to continue on it’s sprint as the most innovative coin around, and the possibilities truly are endless. It may take a miracle for anyone to catch up with this team, and the Darkcoin team intends to keep that lead for the foreseeable future.

This is from me, not my hubbie, and if it doesn't fit in the format for the show, we can always use it for something else (that is if you like it) Of course it probably needs editing, but it's a start and maybe some of this can be used for this project. Of corse it's based off of MB's foundation.

I've got to see if I can get my hubbie to concentrate on this a little. He's much better at writing something that is entertaining, but he also could use what I wrote (though he'll slaughter my delivery) for info mining...

Oh WOW !!

You go girl :)

edit: additions and edits will be added to post #2

Last edited:
I interfered with my hubbie's work, LOL. I thought he didn't know how to post, so I hit the enter, but he was not finished. Now I've posted the whole thing below, and am deleting what was here :)

This is Tante Stefana's husband (I'll make my own account soon, but I just read the above posts - and with thoughts fresh in my head I want to post now). I've been writing for years, and this includes some advertisement work, including infomercials. My perspective may be a little different, but my goal is to see Dark Coin do well.

First, someone with authority has already asked Rush to do a show about us, so we're locked in. If we don't work on this with him, as some have suggested, then he can talk about Dark Coin, anyway - but without our help or input (which might not go well).

I think Rush does a great job trying to make material that can be very dry and boring interesting, so we definitely, in my opinion should work with him (and since he's been asked, it would be silly to pull out now).

Assuming this point is correct, that we should go ahead and work with him (if there's a reason not to that I'm missing, please tell me - because I don't see one), we need to look at what we want to accomplish and compare that to Rush's strengths. It's as simple as that.

Let's talk about Rush's style and what we'll have to do to make a good show with him (because we're going to want an entertaining and informing show that creates excitement, right?). Rush isn't going to change how he does his show, at least not in any fundamental way (nor should he - I think he's great!). With that said, he might modify things or add something new, as long as he feels okay about it. The reason why I've stated this is because the effort so far has been to go forward with a sort of textbook approach that has not been considering how it is that Rush works - and his strengths.

So, what are Rush's strengths? I'm going to have to study his shows again, but from what I've seen so far, he's very dramatic. He's very headline conscious - in other words, he likes to take techno-babble and deliver it like it's a big, exciting bold newspaper headline. He has a good natural sense for what's exciting, what's different, and what might change things - and he likes to pump up this sort of stuff.

With that said, I don't see a standard, textbook approach to Dark Coin marketing working with Rush, although - and this is important - a lot of the key information from the textbook approach will stay in a Rush-friendly format. It will just be delivered in a different way. In other words, I don't object to all the information that's in the textbook approach (some of it is vital). I simply object to the format - to the straightforward and somewhat conservative presentation style of the textbook approach. This is a subtle but critical distinction!

Being dramatic, I could see something like this:

RUSH: "True crypto-coin anonymity? This is a bold claim that has been made by many, many who have tried and failed - but wait - what's this - what's this - what's this? Here comes another contender. Another coin that's trying to pull the brass ring of crypto-currency - Dark Coin. Ooooh, Dark - the name just gives me shivers, already! But seriously, after all the competition has tried and failed at true anonymity, is there really any hope that Dark Coin can pull this off?"

Okay, that's a placeholder example opening. I'm not sure I quite have his voice (and how much Max Headroom he should be doing), but it's close enough to get us started. The point is that I'm trying to respect his style while suggesting an introduction that will create interest by asking one of the big, salient questions - given that others have failed, does Dark Coin really work? Am I really going to be using it in complete privacy?

From an opening we could go to why anonymity was so hard to achieve - and why other attempts failed. Maybe Evan could come in and do some Q and A over this, and dramatically build to the solution - and why Master Nodes are so brilliant. From there we could explain some of the details, if Rush's crowd is deemed techie enough to handle them (I would think they are to a certain extent - we'll have to keep an eye on this, thought). We could have fun, too - even get silly. "Master Node? THE Master of all Nodes? One Node to rule them all, one Node to find them. One Node to bring them all and in the darkness BIND THEM!" "Um Rush, there are actually thousands of Master Nodes." "Thousands? Wow, sounds like they need their own zip code!" We could go through various talking points as long as the show remains entertaining. If the show gets too dry, viewers will stop watching. If the show is very entertaining - and also delivers an impactful message about Dark Coin - it might go semi-viral.

I think we will want our show to be on the dramatic side, because that matches Rush's style - and because it is emotion and not data that will trigger listeners into getting excited about our coin. Sell the sizzle, not the steak - and we're primarily selling here. Teaching and informing can be part of a Rush presentation, of course (and are), but if we want to move glaciers, so to speak - if we want to change opinion or pique interest - we need to go sizzle-sizzle-sizzle all the way, with extra hot sauce.

This is probably making some of you uncomfortable, and that's understandable. All I can say is that we've got a great coin here and a great opportunity to work with a guy who seems to be a budding crypto-coin celebrity, so let's make the most of it and maximize our effort.

Before we get to work on this, please help me try to answer some questions.

1. What do we want the Rush show about our coin to accomplish? What are our goals?

2. Who are Rush's core viewers and what do we want to tell them?

3. What points are w selling - or what are our talking points - are we recruiting miners, building interest, or trying to reach out into the marketplace - or all?

4. What high priority viewers (like CEOs) might happen to watch, and what do we want to say to them?

If Rush is listened to by people who run commerce sites, then we need to strongly consider a push to get them to include Dark Coin as an option for their customers. Even if this only makes up a tiny percentage of his viewership, this is so important - or at least I would think it is - that we should give this a try. If, for example, the guy who runs Overstocked.com were to watch Rush (we should assume he might - or that he might tune in) - and if we got him to even think about using Dark Coin, it would be a huge deal.

Please also tell me what your limits are and why (i.e. how crazy and creative can we get with this?). I'd say go for it, but my mind is probably not like yours, so please talk to me about this. Obviously we don't want to be asinine and ruin the coin's reputation, but does that mean we can't be extremely playful while informing and pushing a call to action. By the way, all marketing campaigns center around calls to action - what is ours? We must know this to get anywhere. I have a sense of what it might be, but I'd rather hear it from the community, first, please. Thanks much.

I would like to suggest that the actual episode be hashed out by a few people so it's not design by committee, but also so that a script isn't read by everyone and then there is no surprise or it isn't executed exactly as people were imagining it (and thus becoming disappointed. What do you all think?

I er... being me, TS, LOL

I hope everyone reads what my hubby wrote, and to continue, I'm gonna try to come up with some answers to his questions, though he won't listen to me, LOL. But here are my two cents and hopefully it'll kick off more comments :rolleyes:

1. What do we want the Rush show about our coin to accomplish? What are our goals?
Bring awareness to the crypto community. There are so many alts, some people might have missed us, Bitcoin only people might have brushed us aside and others have drunk the koolaid that DRK is a scam coin (farthest from the truth, it may be the only non-scam coin aside from Bitcoin!)

2. Who are Rush's core viewers and what do we want to tell them?
I have no idea, does anyone know his demographics?

3. What points are w selling - or what are our talking points - are we recruiting miners, building interest, or trying to reach out into the marketplace - or all?
Well, I'd say, building interest and awareness is #1, get people to make masternodes is a current need (we want a larger pool) We should let miners know they are appreciated and the marketplace is also important. But I would put near the top, the news that darkcoin is now considered complete with working DarkSend and now we're working on other improvements, especially currently, instantX

4. What high priority viewers (like CEOs) might happen to watch, and what do we want to say to them?
We definitely need to assume they will see this and maybe we should interview some of the guys that have businesses that are already accepting DRK as well. Make points as to why privacy is also important for merchants. A merchant doesn't want to reveal what his demographics are, what products sell best, etc... those are trade secrets.

And finally, what's our call to action?
To me? Definitely to download the wallet! Maybe we should have the fountain filled for this? Also to come to this website and register and get to know us. Also to Join the testnets (I see us having several as several projects launch in the near future)

So what do you all think? I'm gonna go to bed now, LOL. Good night!!!

Thanks Tante and Tante's husband for that great contribution! It's nice to hear a constructive word after all the haters came here to voice their opinion..

I agree, this video will be what we make of it, and we could make it pretty darn cool! I think people were looking at the show thinking that would be what our show would look like but ours will be totally different as we would be exclusively featured on the episode.

Agree that we should play to Max's strengths, and I like what you have come up with for content.

I will ask Max to look over your post, and ask him who is usual viewers are, as that would be helpful.

Bitcoin Rush What is your usual viewer demographic? Please look over the 3 posts above this one...

Back