• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A Potential Goldmine: Making The #FirstDashWallet Campaign Permanent

TaoOfSatoshi

My fellow Dash Nation members,

I don't know about you, but I have been inspired by the success of @amanda_b_johnson's #FirstDashWallet campaign, and the areas of the world it has brought people into Dash from.

This campaign has the potential to be the hugest thing to happen in earth's history, let alone Dash. People in countries with failing currencies will start it out of desperation, but eventually that network effect will bring it worldwide. This could seriously be the "killer app" that we need to bring the world into digital cash.

As such, I propose that we spend every last remaining budget dollar on this campaign, what is left over after all of the other approved proposals. The importance of what Amanda has started here cannot be overstated. Carrying on with this path could see huge swaths of people carrying Dash, and be the kickstarter to merchant adoption that we need.

In my opinion, that would create far more value than simply not creating the Dash.

As the Dash Nation founder, this campaign makes me absolutely giddy with excitement. Let's continue to get Dash out there into the hands of people who will help us create a worldwide economy with digital cash!

Who agrees with me?

Last edited:
As such, I propose that we spend every last remaining budget dollar on this campaign, what is left over after all of the other approved proposals.

Are you kidding me? I can think of a zillion other proposals that are way better than paying users to install our product. How are you measuring ROI? We are not Paypal, we are not Uber. This campaign is paying $20 to people in third world countries to install a Dash wallet with a zero balance, while people in first world countries with plenty of Dash don't have anywhere to spend it.

How about we put all the money and funds into actual, relevant, major projects:
  • Coinbase
  • BitPay
  • GoCoin
  • Merchant Adoption
  • Exchanges all over the globe (Hong Kong, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, New Zealand, Australia) where people can buy Dash with Fiat
Imagine if this campaign is a huge success and 1 million people sign up... are we going to spend $20 million? We don't don't have any data to back it up. We should grow organically, not by paying people to install our product.

While we are on the topic of what to focus on, how about we talk about the proposals that passed that we know nothing about? What exactly did core do last month? What are they going to do this month? What about the other proposals, what's the status?

There are many other things we should be doing and giving away $ is a very poor use of our limited resources.

Last edited:
I can see issues, however, like varying amounts of money per month, but that's why I started this thread. To try and see who is seeing the value in this, and how can we continue it in a more enduring way. It really could be massive.

Are you kidding me? I can think of a zillion other proposals that are way better than paying users to install our product.
And if those proposals that you can think of pass, then there won't be any need to use the remaining funds, will there? If they don't, IMO this is a better option than not creating the Dash at all.

How about we put all the money and funds into actual, relevant, major projects:
  • Coinbase
  • BitPay
  • GoCoin
  • Merchant Adoption
  • Exchanges all over the globe (Hong Kong, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, New Zealand, Australia) where people can buy Dash with Fiat
Agreed, these are excellent projects. Let's get them passed. But if we don't, let's put the remainder to work for us!

We should grow organically, not by paying people to install our product.
Organic growth can use a boost every now and then...

There are many other things we should be doing and giving away $ is a very poor use of our limited resources.
Perhaps, but having Dash in the hands of people who would spend it would help all of the other projects that you mentioned. Creating a worldwide Dash economy should be our goal, and using leftover budget funds in this way has been proven to work before, despite the fact that we are not Paypal.

While we are on the topic of what to focus on, how about we talk about the proposals that passed that we know nothing about? What exactly did core do last month? What are they going to do this month? What about the other proposals, what's the status?
Off topic for this discussion.

If this reaches poorer countries, giving those people $10 worth of Dash could help allow more trade to occur in those places and could boost our transaction volume, allowing us to test out our network capacity.

Or people might just forget about the Dash it and hold it, and hopefully not lose it. Later down the road the price should have appreciated so people would be excited if/when they find it again; and worst case is the funds are lost in the nether after introducing a new person to Dash, rather than the funds never being created in the first place.

This is one way to solve the chicken and egg problem - give users Dash so businesses are more likely to start accepting it.

I think it's a great idea to use excess funds for more of this program (or for similar outreach programs).

If this reaches poorer countries, giving those people $10 worth of Dash could help allow more trade to occur in those places and could boost our transaction volume, allowing us to test out our network capacity.

Or people might just forget about the Dash it and hold it, and hopefully not lose it. Later down the road the price should have appreciated so people would be excited if/when they find it again; and worst case is the funds are lost in the nether after introducing a new person to Dash, rather than the funds never being created in the first place.

This is one way to solve the chicken and egg problem - give users Dash so businesses are more likely to start accepting it.

I think it's a great idea to use excess funds for more of this program (or for similar outreach programs).
This, exactly.

If IT professionals can't spend Dash in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia etc, it's delusional to think regular people in Nigeria are going to.

If IT professionals can't spend Dash in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia etc, it's delusional to think regular people in Nigeria are going to.
That's totally not the point. The point is to get Dash out there, so it becomes part of the world's collective consciousness. These kinds of campaigns tend to get people passionate about the subject, and that can only be good for Dash. It will make it easier to do the other things that you want to do, because we will be able to point to the increasing number of people using the Dash network. Think remittances, for example.

That's totally not the point. The point is to get Dash out there, so it becomes part of the world's collective consciousness. These kinds of campaigns tend to get people passionate about the subject, and that can only be good for Dash. It will make it easier to do the other things that you want to do, because we will be able to point to the increasing number of people using the Dash network. Think remittances, for example.

From my perspective one of the benefits of this is that it draws more talent into the Dash ecosystem. Some of the people we reach are going to have networking connections, or are going to be interested and find a way to help. As a project with such small market penetration right now, giving people an incentive to come check out our product isn't a terrible idea.

What is the point exactly of getting "Dash out there"? What does it even mean? How does it correlate to Dash becoming "part of the world's collective consciousness"? Also what exactly do you mean by that?

You're making unsubstantiated claims, using vague terms, all while proposing to spend limited resources. You can't put things in the same sentence and expect them to show any correlation or causation without you providing evidence. What is the evidence for these claims?

From my perspective one of the benefits of this is that it draws more talent into the Dash ecosystem. Some of the people we reach are going to have networking connections, or are going to be interested and find a way to help. As a project with such small market penetration right now, giving people an incentive to come check out our product isn't a terrible idea.

At what cost though? Do you want to bring 100,000 newbies at a cost of $2 million on the off chance that it might do some good to the ecosystem? Have you considered the possibility that his campaign could do more harm than good? All this while we have other issues listed here that are much more important.

Could a group of 10 cash-strapped people get $200 worth of DASH total through the campaign, send it all to one wallet, and use it to buy a discounted Amazon gift card through Bitcart? I was raised in poverty and it forces you to be resourceful. We may be quite surprised at the results from this campaign.

Could a group of 10 cash-strapped people get $200 worth of DASH total through the campaign, send it all to one wallet, and use it to buy a discounted Amazon gift card through Bitcart? I was raised in poverty and it forces you to be resourceful. We may be quite surprised at the results from this campaign.

If you want to raise people out of poverty with your own funds please be my guest, but don't use the network's money (other people's money) for that.

Tao has the point. #FirstDashWallet is a brilliant idea and can make a great market change. Although, projects like Coinbase and so on will do significant impacts also. I believe making some fixed monthly budget to spend on #FirstDashWallet is a good idea. As well as to make big (huge? enormous?) 1 time payment to get into the Coinbase.

The #FirstDashWallet campaign is less than pointless at this stage in Dash.
I would rather we gave the remaining budget to a charity. This would give positive exposure and help people in need.

Back