51% HASHRATE COINMINE.PL !!!

B

buster

I know we've all been blinded by the release of version 12 but this 50% + has not stopped. A few times it's gone below the 40's but thats still not good.

I'm concerned about the lack of concern. Is there something positive about a miner having 50% or more hash that I don't know about? I see Dash be compared to bitcoin very often. Sometimes people even say it's better. But bitcoin doesn't go over 50% hashing for 1 miner so how do we even compare?

Isnt this a big issue? Unless there's something I'm missing? Ignoring the 50% won't make it go away.

Solutions?

Edit*
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/#!extraction

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg12370194#msg12370194

Greetings All,

As long term pool operators operating a DASH pool we would like to point out we are quite worried about the recent hashrate distribution. It seems there is a large concentration of miners using coinmine which reaches over 50% of the network quite often by now.

We would like to encourage all miners to evenly spread hashrate on the network to better secure it against possible 51% attacks. Our fully featured and themed pool interface is ready to welcome so much more miners than we currently have and is the most complete out there. A while ago our fees were of 2% but we did lower them to 1% (even if it's not profitable at all to do so) to encourage more users to come by.

Please spread some hashrate towards www.SuchPool.pw/dash

We have proactive and fast support ready to help you in the event you would get any issues. Comments and feedbacks are always appreciated.

Thanks for your support since the early DASH days.

Louis and Dave
SuchPool Administrators
[email protected]
Twitter: @SuchPool
IRC: #SuchPool on irc.freenode.net

PS: Check this out

SuchPool.pw Mining Pools - Back in business! Twitter - [email protected]

You can review our services at BlockGen.net.

B

buster

We hit two ATH today. MN count and hashrate for coinmine, 69%.

I get it. There are solutions in the works for the future. But what about now? Like right this second. Ill keep Saying it. Over 50% for almost a month now (with a couple regressions). Are we to trust 1 pool operator until this 'solution' we have brewing is released? How many more weeks will it be? Months?

I'm a dash fan. In fact I support it more than any other options. But this is bothering me. It's bothering me that no team members are addressing it. It's bothering me that we think we can ignore it. It's bothering me that trolls are using it as ammo. It bothering me that we tell the trolls they're wrong when they use it as ammo.

I put my money where my mouth is because I trust the people behind this project. I have faith a long term solution will come. But let's not forget about right now.

Maybe a PR blitz by team members might help. Maybe a budget proposal to set up some miners? Maybe something other than ignoring this???

Wolf0

Oct 7, 2014
We hit two ATH today. MN count and hashrate for coinmine, 69%.

I get it. There are solutions in the works for the future. But what about now? Like right this second. Ill keep Saying it. Over 50% for almost a month now (with a couple regressions). Are we to trust 1 pool operator until this 'solution' we have brewing is released? How many more weeks will it be? Months?

I'm a dash fan. In fact I support it more than any other options. But this is bothering me. It's bothering me that no team members are addressing it. It's bothering me that we think we can ignore it. It's bothering me that trolls are using it as ammo. It bothering me that we tell the trolls they're wrong when they use it as ammo.

I put my money where my mouth is because I trust the people behind this project. I have faith a long term solution will come. But let's not forget about right now.

Maybe a PR blitz by team members might help. Maybe a budget proposal to set up some miners? Maybe something other than ignoring this???
I talked to Evan, but he basically told me no thanks, and he has his own plans for what to do - he'll probably tell the whole community soon about it.

vitaly

Mar 25, 2015
omg maybe it's time to consider and vote the antitrust law?

Last edited by a moderator:

vitaly

Mar 25, 2015
I think something like that
The antitrust law item 1:

Any pool should not exceed 50%
The antitrust law item 2:

In excess of 50% - fine equal of the profit in proportion of the founded blocks more than 50%

Money from fines will be transfered to the DASH budget
like this: 59% - 50% = 9% (-45%)

Is it possible to implement technically item 2?

Proteus

Jun 23, 2015
I think people are grossly underestimating the severity of this issue. A single point of failure is guaranteed to manifest murphys law.

Very bad timing as well with the emergence of options like ether (which less face it, all of DASH functions could be programmed with Ether and it has 15x the volume)..

This HAS to be addressed, not ignored with a simple "one guy is working on a solution, eventually"

Proteus

Jun 23, 2015
From my understanding (I've had less time to keep updated lately so I apologize if I'm wrong): The recent update actually reduced payout for miners while increasing payout for Masternodes (while also accruing budget revenue). If that is correct it seems like a logical solution to add PoS for active masternode clients only (block time set to 3x longer than PoW blocks). You wouldn't even necessarily need the PoS blocks to generate coins (if they generate coins we would most likely want to adjust the PoW algorithm so that the maximum generated coins remains the same). Obviously we would need to make this a passive function of active masternodes, since operators with less regard for the community/protocol would disable the PoS if it didn't provide additional newly created coins.

Just an idea, but I feel we need to start exploring all ideas/possible solutions now rather than later.

Reactions: raganius
B

buster

but if you carefully read this....seems like it's a not big problem
Good for the future, but what about right now. Coinmine can flip the switch at any time and become a bad actor.

What To Do When a Miner Controls Over 51% of Your Blockchain
http://blog.onename.com/namecoin-to-bitcoin/

Miner has more than 51% of network, Miner owns the network. Nothing in it's current state will change that (if I'm wrong please explain why). Sorry to beat the dead horse just still concerned that this issue isn't getting the immediate attention it deserves.

Does anyone have any information regarding the Grand Theft Auto Mining Hack thingy? Any forums I can go to and post about the issue? Any places we can help these idiots running the miner in the background?

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/#!extraction

Last edited:

GermanRed+

Aug 28, 2014
Can the MN network act as P2Pool at the same time? Then, force everyone to mine with the MN network regardless how much hash power one may have.

crackers

Jun 25, 2014
As a pool op, I find it disrespectful that they don't even put a notice on their pool to spread around. They do not care at all about any coins network.

On the same hand, it's really one miner, hanlab, that has the lions share of the hashrate. They just need to move to another pool.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
As a pool op, I find it disrespectful that they don't even put a notice on their pool to spread around. They do not care at all about any coins network.

On the same hand, it's really one miner, hanlab, that has the lions share of the hashrate. They just need to move to another pool.
Hanlab seems legit, in the sense that he's probably renting/owning equipment that has the lion's share, but he's not mining from someone else's computers. I wish he would share his hash with another pool though.
The other miner or miners are a different story, according to this:
http://biersteker.tweakblogs.net/blog/11915/hidden-cryptominers-in-game-torrents
And you can guess who they are on the chart:
https://www2.coinmine.pl/dash/index.php?page=statistics&action=pool

Reactions: buster

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Coinmin.pl has reached to the point of controlling 70% of the network hash rate, but I guess we shouldn't be worried???!!!

upload_2015-9-23_18-36-40.png

EDIT: 71% and rising now...

Reactions: buster

alex-ru

Grizzled Member
Dash Support Group
Jul 14, 2014
Coinmin.pl has reached to the point of controlling 70% of the network hash rate, but I guess we shouldn't be worried???!!!

EDIT: 71% and rising now...
Guy from Russian community advised to report about that torrent-X11-miner to all Anti-virus companies (in form of ordinary users complains "I've downloaded XYZ - and after this ...").
After it will be added to all anti-virus bases most part of botnet's power should be blocked.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Guy from Russian community advised to report about that torrent-X11-miner to all Anti-virus companies (in form of ordinary users complains "I've downloaded XYZ - and after this ...").
After it will be added to all anti-virus bases most part of botnet's power should be blocked.
I doubt that can solve anything. If the owner of Coinmine charges a fee, or does not allow more miners sign up into the pool, it can solve, but evidently the owner of coinmine doesn't give a fluke.

Reactions: raganius and buster

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
I sent to the admin of the pool the msg to put 10% fee so the miners will change the pool on their own insted af asking them to do it.
Rising fee meaby? - Each day 1% up till it get reasonable % of global hashrate?

feeleep

Oct 18, 2014
Hi,

I think you put too much attention to botnet miner because hanlab user is responsible for 41% of total hashrate in last 24 hrs. All remaining users (approx 176) on my pool generated 15% of blocks in last day. The real problem is that there is not so many miners in total to even the hashrate distribution.

I am repeating this again and again - I am not a malicious pool operator and I am not going to break Dash network. I even do not have such skills to do it.

My pool has IP DDoS protection but even if someone would like to stop my pool and takeover the network I believe 80% of the miners (hanlab for sure) have some backup pool configured - all hashrate will go to other pools securing the network from attacker.

Cheers,
feeleep