• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - August 19, 2014

I am all over this. Great idea. If I can see a way to pay for the bandwidth and make a margin I'm with this all the way.

There are allot of questions regarding legality. I do believe an option to run a Tor machine may be a good thing people deserve choices, but from what I hear there are options to pay for your servers with darkcoins. Is that still true that we can pay for our servers with DRK? Cause if it is, let me pay in darkcoins and let me get paid in darkcoins. Let the world revolve with darkcoins. Hopefully OpenBazzar will start taking Darkcoins and then we can buy our toilet paper organic foods and other wonderful non GMO or at least labled GMO products. Fuck the system its broke lets make our own. This is about freedom, we need to make it happen, not just let people make our decisions and call the shots for us. Stop letting the monsters enslave our children then put bullet holes in our babies in the name of occupation. We need to get this ball rolling and make something better for our future and it should not involve the Rothchilds, Rockefellers, all the other bullies out there that make life aggravating for the rest of us. Believe, just believe that this is going to make it better. We are on the forefront of changing something that has needed changing for a long time. We need to make it work don’t let it not work. I think the Tor idea is great lets figure out a way to make it work. And thank you Evan for your inovative awesome ideas. Your efforts are always greatly appreciated. Even if this is not your idea of how people should think thank you for the seeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AjM
People liked this and suggested I bring it here:

If that's a serious concern, presumable Evan could set it up so masternodes can opt out of being an exit node (so just be a relay), and have a specific fee paid just to exit nodes. Then the market will sort it out. The less masternodes want to be exit nodes the more the remaining exit nodes will get, adding incentive to be an exit node.​
I like it the way it is. Masternodes all exit and route .
Because less exit nodes = less security.

Well the DarkTor idea/project proposal is a fantastic opportunity to add real value to the network. People, however, have argued that maybe $0.50c is too much... so what would happen if we run the numbers based on $0.10c per day...? Shall we see...

From what I can see even at just $.10c a day ($3 a month) that would generate revenues of around $500,000 per day based on comparable Tor usage figures*. Divide that by 1000 masternodes and you have roughly $500/1BTC/200DRK revenue per MN per day!!! :eek::eek::eek: ...... $182,500 a year income per MN.

Naturally, this is the real world we live in, and the free market would bid up the price of DRK and attract many more masternode users until an equilibrium is found between capital outlay and % yield. It's what the free market does... :wink: Bottom line though is that MN's numbers would keep growing to support the network and DRK currency will appreciate in value.

Everyone wins.

Walter

*Tor users peaked at over 5 Million, then declined as performance and security issues took their toll. I think it's realistic to expect a similar uptake if a working solution is in place that doesn't suffer with performance and security issues (Tor really is slowwww for a start...).

I think a lot of professional individuals would have to be brought in to explain the security implications and repercussions that could arise from this.

I'm already paying amazon more money than I'd like in terms of bandwidth usage for MN's alone.

I'd like to see some professional economic projections as well for the cost and revenue of this proposal to be fully comfortable with this idea.

EDIT: My primary concern is the cost of bandwidth usage.

I'm already paying amazon more money than I'd like in terms of bandwidth usage for MN's alone.

EDIT: My primary concern is the cost of bandwidth usage.

How much are you paying Amazon in bandwidth per MN? I'm at around three/four dollars per masternode per month.

Just a few thoughts.
Will I get paid 50 cents even if someone drains my ec2 traffic worth 50 dollar?
Will I get charged or even sent to prison if crimes are comitted using my IP?
This might make running masternodes very unattractive.

Unless he's changed his mind since we talked about this a while back, users will purchase 24 hours of access to DarkTor and one Masternode per 24 hours will receive all of those funds.

Wowzers! This is amazing Evan, way beyond any expectations, a whole new global private network. Small suggestion, what about putting a country exit node option (if a masternode is running in that country). This would mean my foreign partner could watch her soups in the UK lol.

This is .... so fucking brilliant yet so simple!
I like it, the exit nodes could indeed pose some risks, the idea of extra payments for running these nodes would give the incentive to go through all the hassle of finding a host that would have no issues allowing it.

Unless he's changed his mind since we talked about this a while back, users will purchase 24 hours of access to DarkTor and one Masternode per 24 hours will receive all of those funds.

In terms of roadmap can we expect DarkTor before or after IP obfuscation?

This sounds like a great idea. Especially since I just received a Kimsufi KS 1 which has "unmetered" bandwidth.

What's the implications for those currently running a VPS with a basic config, you think we will need to bump up our plans to cope with the additional traffic?

I can't imagine that would work. Think about it, if we had 10,000 masternodes, then it would take years to get your payday. Actually, I thought that the funds collected every block would be paid to the current winning masternode.

I'm wondering why masternode tor would be faster than the tor network? Also, how do we keep our advantage. If our tor is open sourced, then everyone will offer the service with their coin. And as Toknormal on BCT said, we'd then have heavy competition. Yet we need to be able to pay for our band width. How can we avoid this?

Finally, I do see this as the foundation for private messaging and phone calls like Skype and conferencing. If we get this that far, it would be amazing! Oh, and email!

[email protected]

Oh yah, and another person suggested masternodes should somehow be paid according to their bandwidth. Those that offer more, get paid more... does bandwidth kinda = speed? I think that's what they meant... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, Evan shouldn't be developing the, "Apps" for the Dark Network such as Darktor. He should develop the, "App Store". Make the Dark Network via Masternodes able to be tapped into via, "Apps" that can be created by 3rd party developers. Masternode owners can then decide, via the open source App Store Evan develops whether to install it for their masternode or not. Apps can be DarkTor, DarkMarket, or whatever. But if we are truly going to be THE cryptocurrency, then we have to have an entire community developing for us. A Dark Network with Dark Apps allows for that.

In terms of roadmap can we expect DarkTor before or after IP obfuscation?

IP obfuscation is essential to the coin's core function of privacy, so it will likely be first. DarkTor is not the only big thing in the pipeline either, I think prioritization will depend on a few things (dev time, user demand, etc.).

I can't imagine that would work. Think about it, if we had 10,000 masternodes, then it would take years to get your payday. Actually, I thought that the funds collected every block would be paid to the current winning masternode.

Sure, good point. It's a concept right now. We've seen how much Darksend has evolved since February, this will probably follow a similar course.

I like the idea of apps, however, they'd have to be open sourced apps or else how can we keep malicious programs from running on our masternodes on which everything relies? It gets all muddy, there would have to be a system, because the developer of the app would certainly deserve to take a percentage or be paid for it. S/he would deserve compensation for maintaining the program as well.

But how to do it??

Back