• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why open-sourcing may be a really bad idea…

Is open-sourcing a good idea? (please read before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

f3aa6b8c

Here are a few concerns about the upcoming source code release to the public, and why this may be a bad idea.

Darkcoin is a very innovative crypto-currency, we all know it. Among alt-coins, very few have this potential: it’s certainly the most advanced in the anonymity field, it’s quite stable, and instant transactions are a big deal, really. But please don’t be blinded by this, Darkcoin is not unique: other coins like NXT for example do not compete for anonymity, but still have extremely interesting features like their embedded exchange. Moreover Bitcoin still has the media attention, at least two orders of magnitude ahead of any other coin, and it’s not going to change anytime soon.

Features putting Darkcoin ahead in term of innovation are currently closed-source. They are the added value of this coin. If the source code of these features is released to the public, then it won’t be considered as added value anymore. Darkcoin will lose its innovative characteristics until Evan implement something new and worthy, and closed-source again. That’s what happened with DGW and X11. I mean, a mining algorithm which consumes 50% less electricity than Scrypt. Come on, this was a killer feature and should have been kept proprietary.

I really don’t understand what Evan and the community think open-sourcing these features will bring to Darkcoin.

Visibility? Sure, it will be acclaimed by a few open-source gurus. But this won’t get relayed or even noticed by Richard Stallman or the Apache Software Foundation. Sure, it will bring some media attention. People will talk about it on bitcointalk for a few days, and on the World Crypto Network channel on Youtube maybe. An article will be dedicated to this on CoinDesk, and on Forex Minute as well if we’re lucky. Then what? All these media are frequented by people who are already part of the crypto-currency community. Most of them already know Darkcoin. Open-sourcing it won’t get the Huffington Post, the Verge, or even Gizmodo to write an article about it. So, don’t be fooled, this won’t bring new blood, and certainly won’t raise its price to the stars.

Trust? I heard some people or services may be reluctant to use Darkcoin because of its proprietary code that cannot be trusted. This is bullshit. I use Darkcoin because I trust Evan, as I trust a company like Google, or Visa. Or maybe I don't, but I have no choice... Even if Darkcoin is open-source, I won’t review the code every time a commit is made to check if the wallet won’t try to screw me and my coins. Most people here just install and run the program blindly. 10% maybe recompile wallets themselves but they certainly don’t review the code. How many really do review the code? And even if there were people to review the code pushed on the public repository, what’s preventing the owners to build executables with malwares and keep the malicious code out of the repository? Afaik, most of the wallets are built on top of SSL and the Berkeley DB, do we really review the code of these libs too? No, we trust the developers, that’s it. Open-sourcing is reassuring because people think there are other people to review the code all the time, but the fact is nobody does it, that’s just burying our heads in the sand. If this is a matter of trust, then we should probably raise funds and get the code reviewed by a tech company like IBM or Kaspersky. A seal of approval from a company like this would be new for a crypto-currency and I’m sure it would have more media impact than open-sourcing. After this, if some people are still reluctant to adopt Darkcoin because of its proprietary code, you can still release it to them under NDA, exactly like you did with Kristov Atlas I guess.

On the downside, these features will be copied as soon as they get open-source. First by a few shit-coins which will use them to get pumped and dumped. Whales will be thrilled to make money thanks to this, but the whole alt-coin community will get a little more crippled because of it, as usual. But that won’t have a huge impact on Darkcoin. Some people think this won’t happen because setting up another Master Nodes network is structurally difficult (more difficult than just deploying a wallet) and requires a solid community. It’s true for shit-coins but…

…at some point a more serious coin will be proposed, with a serious developer or team of developers, like NXT or Ripple, that’s inevitable. This serious coin will fork Darkcoin and add its own killer features on top of it. Killer features will bring the solid community which will set up this alternative Master Nodes network. Now imagine this serious coin is backed by a company, not a big and “evil” one like Google, Apple, or Facebook, but a little one with a lot of money and hype. Imagine for example a company like Snapchat Inc, or Mojang before they were bought by Microsoft. They would have enough money to put ads everywhere (including on TV) in order to promote their new serious coin, they would instantly reach millions of users, and they are big enough to get exclusive contracts with Paypal or another banking system to bring their coin to the mass on every platform. If this happens, Darkcoin could just sink. Currently the crypto-currency world was relatively preserved from such kind of moves, but it won’t last forever, and even Bitcoin could fall.

Open-sourcing is a big issue because it facilitates the work of anyone or any company who has a killer idea, a lot of resources, or marketing skills, and just have to take the open source software and build its project on top of it. So, except if there are upsides I don’t see, I really think that’s not worth it.

At least this decision should be put up to a vote from the community. Because people who invested thousands of dollars into Master Nodes could be pissed to see another coin, next week, allow its users to get Master Nodes for way less than 1000 DRK. In any case, implementing a secure voting system in the Darkcoin wallet could be a very useful feature.

My two mDRK.

Sounds like a very short sighted view to me.
You can just switch to the better currency and get in early on the copy-cat coins after the open source.
Closed source holds back development of the entire crypto space.

90% Cryptocurrency users won't trust Darkcoin if its closed-source. The number of times I have been told "Its closed-source, what a joke Darkcoin is." then I answer "It will be open-source soon.".

Who cares about copy cats? The strength is the original author and masternodes.

'I really don’t understand'' …. I sincerely hope you will soon understand :)

Open sourcing is needed. It is a digital currency which requires 100% accountability for the code. It might trigger a bunch of clones but the benefits of adoption outweigh the risks.

Open sourcing is needed. It is a digital currency which requires 100% accountability for the code. It might trigger a bunch of clones but the benefits of adoption outweigh the risks.

Right.

Closed-source cryptocurrency is a thing I would expect only from Google or Apple.

Structurally, clones aren't the issue. The likelihood of new coins released and having the expansive network that Darkcoin has is unrealistic due to distribution at coin launches. It's far more probable that an existing coin with already decent distributions decides to add the feature. I'd like to believe that DRK is strong enough on its own to survive blatant copies of code.

Sounds like a very short sighted view to me.
You can just switch to the better currency and get in early on the copy-cat coins after the open source.
Closed source holds back development of the entire crypto space.

You're right. If you consider the entire crypto space, that's beneficial, because that means it could help someone build another crypto-currency with the advantages of Darkcoin and add even more useful features to it. But in this case you won't really care about Darkcoin anymore, will you?

90% Cryptocurrency users won't trust Darkcoin if its closed-source. The number of times I have been told "Its closed-source, what a joke Darkcoin is." then I answer "It will be open-source soon.".

I think that's not accurate, most people don't know about the code behind crypto-currencies and if that's open-source or not, even here. People who told you this must have a good knowledge of the tech behind Darkcoin, that's a niche. A lot of my friends who wish to invest in crypto-currencies are of course talking about Bitcoins, some about Litecoins and Dogecoins, but they don't know anything about technical differences. If I advise them to look at Darkcoins, they won't come up with the closed-source argument.

Well I don't see a lot of points to counter what I said. You all seem convinced this will outweigh the risks, but that's it. I mean, when I talk about the fact that open-sourcing Darkcoin won't be relayed to general information websites like the Huffpost, and not even more tech-savvy ones like Gizmodo, do you think otherwise? How many people do you think this information will reach? How many of these people will get interested in this information? How many of these will even at least download the wallet? Do you know something I don't?

I personally own hundreds of DRKs, and I'm still afraid. Nothing here convinced me otherwise. This decision doesn't seem rational to me and when it's done, there is no coming back.

I think that's not accurate, most people don't know about the code behind crypto-currencies and if that's open-source or not, even here. People who told you this must have a good knowledge of the tech behind Darkcoin, that's a niche. A lot of my friends who wish to invest in crypto-currencies are of course talking about Bitcoins, some about Litecoins and Dogecoins, but they don't know anything about technical differences. If I advise them to look at Darkcoins, they won't come up with the closed-source argument.

The text "Open-source" builds trust by its own. 99% People won't look at open-source project actual source but they trust it because someone else will look at it and complain if it has backdoors or anything that one would dislike.

If Google/Microsoft/Apple created a cryptocurrency that is open-source I would look at it, if its closed source then I would only laugh at it.

If a project that is not controlled is closed source that means the developer is hiding something, perhaps a backdoor. Closed-source makes sense on non-p2p software such as Operating systems and games.

I seriously doubt it's 90%. Not that high.
But I also think that if we don't open source we will never get merchant adoption.
And I don't expect open sourcing will change the price much. Only real adoption will. We need real demand.
I think we need dark markets.

The text "Open-source" builds trust by its own. 99% People won't look at open-source project actual source but they trust it because someone else will look at it and complain if it has backdoors or anything that one would dislike.

If Google/Microsoft/Apple created a cryptocurrency that is open-source I would look at it, if its closed source then I would only laugh at it.

If a project that is not controlled is closed source that means the developer is hiding something, perhaps a backdoor. Closed-source makes sense on non-p2p software such as Operating systems and games.

That means this to us because we're tech-savvy people, and we know the crypto-currency world is full of sharks. But most people who invest in crypto-currencies are very distant from this. If the goal is to reach other people like us, then yes open-sourcing Darkcoin will have an impact. But if the objective is to reach other investors or the general population, then it does not outweigh the risks.

And btw, the world is full of successful P2P software which are proprietary: Kazaa or Skype are good examples.

I seriously doubt it's 90%. Not that high.
But I also think that if we don't open source we will never get merchant adoption.
And I don't expect open sourcing will change the price much. Only real adoption will. We need real demand.
I think we need dark markets.

Yes, unfortunately I think dark markets are the real deal. Did any of you try to reach them ? The owners of OpenBazaar for example ? Do they really care about the closed-source thing ? Or is this just an excuse to stick to Bitcoins ?

Yes, unfortunately I think dark markets are the real deal. Did any of you try to reach them ? The owners of OpenBazaar for example ? Do they really care about the closed-source thing ? Or is this just an excuse to stick to Bitcoins ?

As far as I know we are working on OpenBazaar itegration. I might be wrong but I think they would never adopt DRK without open source.

I had a conversation with one "dark" businessman and asked about Darkcoin. He said, that his community doesn't trust private currencies, so, I think, that open source is a good solution.

That means this to us because we're tech-savvy people, and we know the crypto-currency world is full of sharks. But most people who invest in crypto-currencies are very distant from this. If the goal is to reach other people like us, then yes open-sourcing Darkcoin will have an impact. But if the objective is to reach other investors or the general population, then it does not outweigh the risks.

And btw, the world is full of successful P2P software which are proprietary: Kazaa or Skype are good examples.

Skype is very p2p. Microsoft masternodes which hold all chat history, very p2p.

Darkcoin must be open-source!

As far as I know we are working on OpenBazaar itegration. I might be wrong but I think they would never adopt DRK without open source.
I had a conversation with one "dark" businessman and asked about Darkcoin. He said, that his community doesn't trust private currencies, so, I think, that open source is a good solution.

Well, alright then. Dark markets with darkcoins are a good reason I guess.

Skype is very p2p. Microsoft masternodes which hold all chat history, very p2p.

Believe me, they don't hold history of the video, voice, or files you exchange. It would be too much.

I think, that there is no reason to worry about stealing of Darkcoin technologies, if we're talking about real demand and not about pump'n'dump, I sure of Darkcoin and Evan with team and I'm not sure of other clonecoins. It needs a lot of time to get reputation and Evan with team is on the way to it. DarkSend+ is one of the steps to this reputation. As we can see, he has a lot of ideas and I'm sure, that team will do them.

My opinion of Darkcoin price: DRK is a first cryptocurrency after Bitcoin, that is based on real demand and it needs time to understand it by the market.

Reactions: jpr
Well, alright then. Dark markets with darkcoins are a good reason I guess.

Believe me, they don't hold history of the video, voice, or files you exchange. It would be too much.
Yep, sure. Thats why Microsoft removed encryption and all connections go through their masternodes instead of Peer-to-peer(you <-> person_you_talk_to).

They do hold the files you exchange. Send file to your friend from computer. The same file will popup on your android device even after 1month and you can download it. They hold everything. Microsoft is one of the most richest companys in the world, you think they can't aford it? :)

I am sure you're a cop bro.

Back