• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why open-sourcing may be a really bad idea…

Is open-sourcing a good idea? (please read before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, sure. Thats why Microsoft removed encryption and all connections go through their masternodes instead of Peer-to-peer(you <-> person_you_talk_to).

They do hold the files you exchange. Send file to your friend from computer. The same file will popup on your android device even after 1month and you can download it. They hold everything. Microsoft is one of the most richest companys in the world, you think they can't aford it? :)

I am sure you're a cop bro.

meh, whatever

You're right. If you consider the entire crypto space, that's beneficial, because that means it could help someone build another crypto-currency with the advantages of Darkcoin and add even more useful features to it. But in this case you won't really care about Darkcoin anymore, will you?
Darkcoin isnt a person, once better tech comes out, I switch.
Heck, all someone has to do at this point is slap better graphics on it or build a more robust community. Im not married to this thing.

Open source is the only chance that allows Darkcoin to persist in the future.
  1. It allows trust build up by users and businesses.
  2. It allows independent security and privacy reviews, peer reviews in general.
  3. It increases security and privacy aspects as everyone can contribute.
  4. It broadens the developer team, as everyone can contribute.
  5. It allows adoption, as everyone can port darkcoin features to other clients, own implementations.
Everything else is just fear. And anyways, the markets are not reacting on innovation or great features, the markets only want fast profits. That's why the markets keep crashing even after successfull feature implementation, or launch.

By the way, I don't know any other success full coin using X11 or DGW.

Believe me, they don't hold history of the video, voice, or files you exchange. It would be too much.
They don't have to, they only need to give NSA access to their supernodes, they will store the conversations for them.

I have to add, reading your thoughts and adding Microsoft as a good example (wtf?) really ... you are very naive :)

If you trust in Microsoft, why do you need a trustless Darkcoin by the way? There is Visa and Paypal already, you can trust them too :)

Yet another edit, all right now I got your point. You trust closed source software and therefore you want darkcoin not to be trustless? A pity :(

I have to add, reading your thoughts and adding Microsoft as a good example (wtf?) really ... you are very naive :)

If you trust in Microsoft, why do you need a trustless Darkcoin by the way? There is Visa and Paypal already, you can trust them too :)

Yet another edit, all right now I got your point. You trust closed source software and therefore you want darkcoin not to be trustless? A pity :(
Guy is a cop. The only individuals/organizations that hate Darkcoin are the government. Everyone knows that a closed-source cryptocurrency has no future.

Guy is a cop. The only individuals/organizations that hate Darkcoin are the government. Everyone knows that a closed-source cryptocurrency has no future.
Definitely some sort of agenda going on beyond "I am worried about my several hundred Darkcoins." It's difficult to genuinely have half a clue without getting the full clue...

I think this was more of an exploratory recon mission...

We can expect the full probing in due course. :eek:

LOL.. yes the guv is coming after evan, let's hide him in your basement!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow can actually be considered the first day that the currency officially launches.

Many eyes will be on the entirety of the code. With it becoming opensourced, prominent members of the crypto community will actually be willing to take a look at the codebase.

I spoke to Gregory Maxwell a long time ago. His main objection to Darkcoin was that it wasn't open sourced. He felt that even if it was innovative, it wasn't a real currency unless it was auditable. There are countless other very smart people who feel the same way. Especially in the Bitcoin circles.

Open source opens the door to become a real no holds back contender to the other major currency.

The first day of Darkcoin is tomorrow.

Guy is a cop...
Definitely some sort of agenda going on beyond...

I'm a Darkcoin user and long term holder. These concerns were legit. It's a good thing there are people like jpr, CODERsp, or vertoe here to give good arguments and answer constructively because omg some of you just behave like asses with newcomers.

Maybe I'm naive yes. I think big tech companies bring a lot, I'm not against them. I'm not sure whether I trust them or not. Yes they probably deal with the NSA (Apple maybe less, their privacy policy is different), but afaik the NSA benefited as much from the fact they had countless Tor exit nodes than what they asked to big tech companies. So open-source P2P software don't fall between the cracks of the system either. And yes, obviously I have no choice but to trust Paypal and Visa, and I use their services all the time, don't you? I just think crypto-currencies, and especially Darkcoin, are complementary to these services. I'm not a revolutionary, I don't wish crypto-currencies will replace Paypal or Visa, they're just complementary. They meet other needs, like anonymity.

I'm a Darkcoin user and long term holder. These concerns were legit. It's a good thing there are people like jpr, CODERsp, or vertoe here to give good arguments and answer constructively because omg some of you just behave like asses with newcomers.

Maybe I'm naive yes. I think big tech companies bring a lot, I'm not against them. I'm not sure whether I trust them or not. Yes they probably deal with the NSA (Apple maybe less, their privacy policy is different), but afaik the NSA benefited as much from the fact they had countless Tor exit nodes than what they asked to big tech companies. So open-source P2P software don't fall between the cracks of the system either. And yes, obviously I have no choice but to trust Paypal and Visa, and I use their services all the time, don't you? I just think crypto-currencies, and especially Darkcoin, are complementary to these services. I'm not a revolutionary, I don't wish crypto-currencies will replace Paypal or Visa, they're just complementary. They meet other needs, like anonymity.
Btw, there should be a 3rd button in your poll for "Not sure". :)
And another button for "I don't give an f" lol

It's a good thing there are people like jpr, CODERsp, or vertoe here to give good arguments and answer constructively because omg some of you just behave like asses with newcomers.

You were given a host of good reasons why open source is necessary, and your response was, "meh, whatever." If you wish to engage in debate you have to bring intelligent counter-arguments to the table. So far you haven't done so.

The truth is, Darkcoin might not be anonymous. Nobody knows except the people who have had full access to the source code. That's why the code needs to be public. For everyone to see and confirm that it actually is or isn't.

For something that claims to be a private system, you can't just rely on someone saying so. You yourself have to dive into the C++ and confirm it yourself. Allowing anyone in the world to look at the code, verify that it works as intended and improve upon it, is a good thing.

You were given a host of good reasons why open source is necessary, and your response was, "meh, whatever." If you wish to engage in debate you have to bring intelligent counter-arguments to the table. So far you haven't done so.

I brought my arguments in the first post. And no, my answer was not this, it was "Well, alright then. Dark markets with darkcoins are a good reason I guess.". So yes, I'm quite convinced now, thanks to CODERsp and jpr.

I just told darkstrike420 "meh, whatever" because he was accusing me of being a cop, which makes no sense. And I didn't wish to continue this argument with him.

The truth is, Darkcoin might not be anonymous. Nobody knows except the people who have had full access to the source code. That's why the code needs to be public. For everyone to see and confirm that it actually is or isn't.

For something that claims to be a private system, you can't just rely on someone saying so. You yourself have to dive into the C++ and confirm it yourself. Allowing anyone in the world to look at the code, verify that it works as intended and improve upon it, is a good thing.

True, but third parties under NDA can do it too, like Kristov Atlas did. It's not as good as open-sourcing because it requires trust to these third parties. But let's be honest, not every user will dive into the C++ code to confirm it by themselves. 99% of Darkcoin users will just trust third parties at some point anyway.

But anyway, I'm convinced of the benefits of open-sourcing now. So let's move on. Thanks everyone.

True, but third parties under NDA can do it too, like Kristov Atlas did. It's not as good as open-sourcing because it requires trust to these third parties. But let's be honest, not every user will dive into the C++ code to confirm it by themselves. 99% of Darkcoin users will just trust third parties at some point anyway.

By doing that (relying on third parties to audit), your ostracizing some of your userbase because they will never trust the auditor. I could pay someone $500 USD to say anything I want. It's simply not practical to trust a third party audit completely.

Opening the code up does not ostracize anyone. Everyone can look and see how it works without relying on anyone else that could of been paid off to write something positive.

But anyway, I'm convinced of the benefits of open-sourcing now. So let's move on. Thanks everyone.
To ease your concern, this is Evan's baby and he knows best when to let it loose. I already asked him the same question and you can see his answer here:

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/losing-faith-in-drk.2210/page-3#post-18684

Open source leads to better code because more people can have a look at it and find errors/vulnerabilities.

Not to mention more efficient....

So... It's been 3 days since the Darksend code became open-sourced... Has anyone seen any flaw in the code? Has anyone shared anything about the code?

I'm just wondering.....

Back