• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v0.11.0 - Darkcoin Core Release

what the issue with Vultr ?!
you do not recommend it ?
It's drastically overpriced because it is way more powerful than necessary.

It's like flying a jet to your neighbour’s house, 400 feet away... Overkill. Makes more sense to just walk...

It has some advantages and conveniences useful for testnet tho.

I am still learning.
THIS.

This time last year, I had never heard of a VPS. Now I have a bunch of them and they cost less than $0.50/mo...

Shit, this time last year, I didn't even have a house to live in!

Mmmm, learning.

6 of my nodes seem to have taken a miss on payment. I'm not crying about it.

THIS.

This time last year, I had never heard of a VPS. Now I have a bunch of them and they cost less than $0.50/mo...

Mmmm, learning.

Mmm hmm still learning.

Nah, it's just a matter we've visited ad-nauseum in crypto... I have little patience for it. It's no different from miners complaining that diff went up before their much delayed ASIC managed to pay for itself... And OMG, electricity isn't free!? Nobody told me that!! Nobody is obligated to tell you shit! Especially about fucking obvious shit anyone over the age of 5 should already know...

MNs are by far the most forgiving value output concept thus far invented in crypto. One would have to try to get fucked on purpose to fail at making a profit on MNs... If after all the noise miners have made over the last 6 years, someone manages to lose money on an MN and complain about it, I mean, holy shit, that's being ultra-dumbass right there...

Even with mega-dumb VPS choices like Amazon, VULTR, and DO, it's still profitable.

Even if every single coin were tied up in MNs, you'd still get more than one payment a month. And imagine how valuable that one payment would be with zero liquidity...

Bringing the cost of VPSes into it, and removing the cost of mining hardware and electricity, puts it on a platform drastically cheaper than necessary, something no other crypto has. You don't even have to recoup your initial investment, because you can always cash out the node, too! I can't imagine how a person could manage to lose money operating an MN. By the converse, it's damn easy to lose your ass mining, or buying a shitcoin because you didn't learn how to crypto and obvious scam was not obvious to you... Of course, you have to know how to computer before you can figure out how to crypto, and most of these traders would starve and die without their iPhone to take care of their lives for them...

Using technology and understanding technology are not at all the same thing. Step up! I'm not berating you, I'm simply describing reality with no sugar coating. Clarity is the gift of no candy-coated BS. If I pre-chewed it for you, you wouldn't get as much out of it.

Thanks for the clarity, I would like to step up, I'm not 5 anymore I vow to no longer complain or point out the shortcomings of our coin.

Yeah I'd be interested if this problem occurs for other wallets as well. After another DS round I have more DS balance but it is still 0.1 DRK short of what it should be.

Still mixing (3/4 done)
will post later pics (if ever done)

15 DRK 16 Round ... am going back to sleep then
:wink:

THIS.

Mmmm, learning.

$0.50 a month is unbelievably cheap to be fair, I can't even get a static IP for that. One decent VPS can host dozens of MNs no problem but I can't find anywhere that'll let me have cheap IP addresses :mad:

$0.50 a month is unbelievably cheap to be fair, I can't even get a static IP for that. One decent VPS can host dozens of MNs no problem but I can't find anywhere that'll let me have cheap IP addresses :mad:
While I haven't managed to get under $0.50 I did mange to get it down to under a dollar and could most likely get it alot lower if I was willing to go under 1gb ram and required a large amount like camo. The deals are out there if you're willing to talk to some of the lesser known providers.

On a different note has anyone been monitoring their vps ram use? 11.0.13 is using between 200 and 450mb. Anyone else think 450mb is a little high?

While I haven't managed to get down to $0.50 I did mange to get it down to under a dollar and could most likely get it alot lower if I required a large amount like camo. The deals are out there if you're willing to talk to some of the lesser known providers.

On a different note has anyone been monitoring their vps ram use? 11.0.13 is using up to 450mb. Anyone else think this is a little high?

I've just found one that'll do it for the equivalent of $0.58 per month, in theory, but not sure how reliable it is etc...

I've just found one that'll do it for the equivalent of $0.58 per month, in theory, but not sure how reliable it is etc...
That's the one thing you can never be sure about without actually testing it. So pick one up, use it as a MN or just as an empty wallet and monitor it's uptime.

That's the one thing you can never be sure about without actually testing it. So pick one up, use it as a MN or just as an empty wallet and monitor it's uptime.

Well, that's the other thing. To get these cheap deals you have to buy annual upfront from what I can see. Not much good if you realise it's a pile of shit two weeks into it!

Anyone know what the minimum RAM requirement is for a MN demon?

Well, that's the other thing. To get these cheap deals you have to buy annual upfront from what I can see. Not much good if you realise it's a pile of shit two weeks into it!

Anyone know what the minimum RAM requirement is for a MN demon?
Contact the provider and ask if you can pay for a month for testing purposes. Offer them twice what they would make a month if you bought the year and they will more then likely have no problem with it.

As far as the RAM question I think it's recommended to be at least 512mb.

complain or point out the shortcomings of our coin.
If you can call an improvement of orders of magnitude a shortcoming... [sigh]
As far as the RAM question I think it's recommended to be at least 512mb.
I run 128ram/128swap. Rock solid on 0.11.0.13.

I experimented a bit even though this VPS provider has a no-refunds policy. A single MN payment still covers the cost of my tinkering.

Not sure if it would be cheaper doing routing magic on a single more powerful VPS or not. Certainly more work... For as cheap as they are, I prefer the simplicity of just using a dedicated VPS for each.

I haven't tinkered with any 96MB or 64MB stuff because they actually cost more than the deal I've got already...

A little common courtesy goes a long way towards making a deal. SCP -C or RSYNC your blockchain across all your nodes instead of letting them each pull down. Saves pipe and CPU. Offer to be max niced... If you demonstrate that you are willing and able to minimize your impact on the provider's machine/cluster, they have cause to be more flexible with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the VPN or MN hosting cost is interesting, I want to ask why we are seeing hosts with same IP addresses again. There are ~1900 MNs and only ~1500 unique MNs IP addresses.

If you can call an improvement of orders of magnitude a shortcoming... [sigh]

I run 128ram/128swap. Rock solid on 0.11.0.13.

I experimented a bit even though this VPS provider has a no-refunds policy. A single MN payment still covers the cost of my tinkering.

Not sure if it would be cheaper doing routing magic on a single more powerful VPS or not. Certainly more work... For as cheap as they are, I prefer the simplicity of just using a dedicated VPS for each.

I haven't tinkered with any 96MB or 64MB stuff because they actually cost more than the deal I've got already...
Interesting, how's your ram/swap usage?

I thought about the multiple MNs per VPS with multiple IPs but in the end decided that K.I.S.S is always the best solution and it would likely cost more due to providers charging hefty fees for extra IPs even if you buy in bulk.

Interesting, how's your ram/swap usage?

I thought about the multiple MNs per VPS with multiple IPs but in the end decided that K.I.S.S is always the best solution and it would likely cost more due to providers charging hefty fees for extra IPs even if you buy in bulk.
Generally 95% ram 45% swap.

It'll use all the RAM it can get. When I had 256MB VPSes, it used 95% ram. When I had 512MB VPSes, it used 95% ram...

But, it rarely used swap at all on the 256 and higher, so it is clearly near the minimum threshold at 128/128.

Generally 95% ram 45% swap.

It'll use all the RAM it can get. When I had 256MB VPSes, it used 95% ram. When I had 512MB VPSes, it used 95% ram...

But, it rarely used swap at all on the 256 and higher, so it is clearly near the minimum threshold at 128/128.
Thanks, good to know, guess my current containers are overkill. :grin:

Yeah I'd be interested if this problem occurs for other wallets as well. After another DS round I have more DS balance but it is still 0.1 DRK short of what it should be.

Aswan
36 hours later 15 DRK with 16 Rounds
(good i am not some swiss millionaire !)

Mac Wallet 11.0.13
All match !
(had pics but moli checked and said not needed :wink:)
hope this helps

I found something weird! Seems to be a bug.

rdomcdr5.png

I am using 16 rounds of DS. There are some funds with 17 rounds which are now listed as available DS balance (Bottom right: Balance: 19.700198).
I have selected all the denominations with 17 rounds. It's 18 denminations (Top left) and their total amount is 19.800198 DRK.

So apparently something is missing it we take the "Balance" Number on the bottom right. In fact, there is something missing that is smaller than the smallest denominations. There are missing 0.10000000 DRK, not 0.100001 DRK.

Idk why, but this seems to be a bug and I have no idea what could have caused it.
Have you sent your debug.log to eduffield ? It's definitely something that needs to be looked at.

11.0.14 Core - All Users

This update is not required

- Improved syncing speed (eduffield)
- Improved pre-mixing to create denominated amounts (UdjinM6)
- Update darkcoin-qt.desktop (vertoe)
- fix overpaying for DSTX - If you're using Darksend, please update (eduffield)
- make collateral inputs from all available inputs but not from mn-like (UdjinM6)
- 4 rounds default for DS, litemode changes for mining
- Catch UTXO set read errors and shutdown (UdjinM6)
- dseg limitations (eduffield)
- more fixes/cleanup/debug output to DS mixing (UdjinM6)
- Moved the note about masternode private keys. (Perry Woodin)
- Made the distinction between masternode private key and wallet private key more clear. (Perry Woodin)

Source: https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin
Windows .exe: https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/darkcoin-0.11.0.14-win.zip
Mac OSX: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/d...in-binaries/master/darkcoin-0.11.0.14-osx.dmg
Linux: https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/darkcoin-0.11.0.14-linux.tar.gz

Back