• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Utah Dash Conference 2023

trust_thyself

We're planning a Dash conference to take place in late Sept / early Oct of this year. Location is Utah. If you're interested to contribute to the planning, we invite you to leave your comments here.

If you're interested in the conference but won't be able to attend in-person, please consider hosting a satellite event where you live. If our time zones overlap sufficiently, our two (or more!) events can live video call each other for a truly global conference.

Is this an Incubator-funded event? Or more of an informal gathering of friends, where attendees would maybe all pitch-in to a donation address for venue fees/etc? Or are you thinking of putting a proposal to the network? Either way, it seems like a great idea.

Last edited:
Use this gathering to paint Utah blue with full of Dash ads. Maybe have a competition on who's able to put the most up? Would be one interesting agenda to include.

We're planning a Dash conference to take place in late Sept / early Oct of this year. Location is Utah. If you're interested to contribute to the planning, we invite you to leave your comments here.

You should get benefit of the gathering in this conference and implement a BeeDance encointer meeting.

BeeDance enables event organizers to create their own, flexible Encointer community for a single event or a series of regular gatherings. With BeeDance, organizers have the freedom to choose the event location and determine the timing of key-signing gatherings that suits them best. The beauty of BeeDance lies in its simplicity and flexibility, making it far easier to launch compared to Encointer LoCo. While it can serve as an excellent user acquisition tool for LoCo, it also serves as a standalone proof-of-attendance (PoA) protocol.

If you implement BeeDance, anonymous people may be tempted to attend your meeting.
Otherwise anonymous people are excluded, and that is not a good sign.

Last edited:
Is this an Incubator-funded event? Or more of an informal gathering of friends, where attendees would maybe all pitch-in to a donation address for venue fees/etc? Or are you thinking of putting a proposal to the network? Either way, it seems like a great idea.
Good question. This is a Dash event. As for the funding, we'll see -- it really hinge on the scope it takes. It may be that folks who attend are asked to chip-in. And/or if it makes sense, I or someone else may put in a proposal to help offset expenses. Right now I'm just trying to ascertain who is interested in attending, and who may be interested in brainstorming, even from afar or with their own local gathering/event. Then we can together hash out a date and what it'll look like. Might you have interest/ability to join in-person?

Use this gathering to paint Utah blue with full of Dash ads. Maybe have a competition on who's able to put the most up? Would be one interesting agenda to include.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do love me some guerrilla marketing. Especially one that's incentivized as you outlined.

One thought I've had since announcing this UT event is that perhaps it'd be best for this upcoming iteration in late Sept / early Oct to be smaller and more intimate. More of a brainstorming / working / identifying low-hanging fruit and outside-the-box ideas, etc. Perhaps with some livestreaming sessions so those unable to attend in-person could stay abreast and weigh-in with their own thoughts.

Then, come Jan., have a larger event. One that would coincide with Dash's 10yr anniversary and with the launch of Evolution/Platform. Perhaps have a hackathon to help generate some awareness/interest/excitement for the tech, and also do lots of outreach.

If this is how the event(s) takes-shape, your idea may be better fit for the latter, larger event. But again, I'm just one of the people putting-forth ideas. If others who plan to attend (yourself?) desire it to take another shape, and that seems best, so be it. I'm guessing (hoping!) things will be getting ironed-out over the next week.

You should get benefit of the gathering in this conference and implement a BeeDance encointer meeting.

If you implement BeeDance, anonymous people may be tempted to attend your meeting.
Otherwise anonymous people are excluded, and that is not a good sign.
Thanks for putting this on my radar. I have only scanned the overview thus far but will mention it to others involved as the event takes shape. Off the cuff -- your idea may be more relevant for a larger size/scope event.

I would like to attend, but organising a visa and flights in the short time given is already not possible. I'll watch online and wish y'all well!
Thanks! Yes, I'm hoping we'll do some livestreaming sessions so that folks like yourself who aren't present in-person can still weigh-in. As things start to take-shape I'll certainly post any relevant updates here.

You could add a vote the numbers question into the dash budget, asking all the masternodes about the date they prefer the UTAH conference to occur. You will select that way the perfect date, the date where the majority of the masternodes can participate, so your conference will have the greatest success possible.

I am talking about a vote_the_numbers simulation of a doodle meeting event (look at this video where a blonde amanda-oid explains what doodle is).

In its simplicity, you simply define 9 possible dates and ask the masternodes to vote the number they prefer (from 0 to 8) where each number corresponds to a meeting date. The individuals who control more than one masternodes, can obviously vote more than one preferred numbers (so this method is considered as an accurate doodle simulation only for the dolphins/whales, while the shrimps can vote only one date).

For 9 possible dates you need 2 budget proposals to implement the BASE3 numerical system, so it will cost you 2 dash proposal fee. For 27 possible dates, 3 dash proposal fee. If you like more accuracy, you can also define a date range, and let the masternodes vote within that date range by allowing them as much granularity as you can afford to pay. Finally for a cheap solution that offers more granularity, you may also use the BASE4 system.

Are you capable to design the above vote_the_numbers doodle question by yourself?
If you cannot, maybe @xkcd has the incentive to help you design the doodle question.
I would like to attend, but organising a visa and flights in the short time given is already not possible.

Or, would you like me to help you design it?

Last edited:
Is there any reliable date for the Evo release in place?
I am asking here because I was invited to a few events and I am not going to say again "we will release it by the end of the year". I would rather not do any presentation.

Hello Robert,
Sam is projecting that we will release it by the end of the year. I understand your bad experience with these types of claims and the reputation it can cost. I am not practically able nor want to rate the confidence level of these estimates but I would personally not say any specific date on this conference. I have my faith in the team but I generally think it is not the best practice to promise a fixed scope to a fixed deadline, and the transition to the testing phase still involves uncertainty (not specifically in this case but every research-heavy project). I like the phrase "projection based on our current understanding", which I believe is a reasonable way to frame what people can expect without promising (as our understanding constantly evolves as we go along) if you think it is required to set this expectation.

"projection based on our current understanding"

Translation of the above quote: We know nothing about the release date, and we say a random inaccurate bullshit to sweep the dirt under the rug.

Honest question: Do you assume that you are talking to idiots?
Honest answer: Yes I do.

Translation of the above quote: We know nothing about the release date, and we say a random inaccurate bullshit to sweep the dirt under the rug.

This is funny and not entirely inaccurate. IMO based on the progress we are seeing I give it a 10% chance Evo is released this year, IMO it will happen next year or never. Money to get it done has now run out and motivation is low, the pace of work is likely to slow significantly now to the end of the year which is the opposite of what is required to deliver. This really is a topic for another thread through.

We have limited knowledge of the delivery dates: That is directionally true for all R&D.

I am always open to suggestions, so anyone can reach out to me, and have a 1-1 with me for more context and we can discuss what is possible and reasonable to do.

regarding the talking to idiots part: No. I very much respect you, that is why I am telling the truth. Assuming we can give a precise estimate with all constraints fixed that would be a lie. As I said, my door is open, and I appreciate every conversation.

We have limited knowledge of the delivery dates: That is directionally true for all R&D.

Does R&D stands for "Refill (our pocket with money) OR Die" ?
Thats the optimistic point of view. It may also stands for "Refill (our pocket with money) AND Die".
Ambersand(&) is mostly used as a logical AND.

This is funny and not entirely inaccurate. IMO based on the progress we are seeing I give it a 10% chance Evo is released this year,

What if Evo is released this year? You are right. What if it is not released? You are right again. That's why you are lying.
There are 3 kinds of lies. Small lies, big lies, and probabilities/statistics.
Truth does not play dice.

"ἔστω δὲλόγος ὑμῶν ναὶ ναί, οὒ οὔ· τὸ δὲ περισσὸν τούτων ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ ἐστιν" -- Matth 5-37

So either say "we will release it by the end of the year" (as @kot did) or say "we will not release it by the end of the year", and put yourself into the honest risk of being accused as a liar. Thats the honest way, anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Last edited:
Back