• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

October 2015 Budget Proposal

The design portion is $2500 and we're just estimating the development portion is about the same. I don't think it will be much over $5k. Once we have the website built, we will ask for a second budget to reimburse the rest of the money that was spent.

As for features? It's going to be a rails site, setup something like wordpress, but much more extendable .

$5k seems reasonable to me. I own and run an IT Managed Services Provider so know the industry well. I've seen some horrors with cowboy operators ripping companies off for 10's of thousands of $$$. The ruby rails framework is also an excellent choice, the website will not only look and feel professional, it'll have a superb back end that will scale as interest in Dash rockets.

I'm sure some may argue that it could be done cheaper (the current one was done on a shoestring and looks ok) but the bottom line is that we want a professional, slick website to get our message across so a few $ is not a lot of outlay in the scheme of things.

Got my vote! :grin:

Walter

3/4 of the proposals are up! Please Vote!

#electrum-pt-2
mnbudget vote-many d06d273364938cd2083d6f46264c05d38ff7b96c5705604e709f2b4a0e26e0e3 yes

#foundation-pt-2
mnbudget vote-many 244bd3d4a71fa44d76d1299d6d9c45512cd9807f5a1387ca77f13025bf2a8dd6 yes

#website-pt-1
mnbudget vote-many 8387cdff019c2ebed75b33444ce5bcb27ddd8f6e56c00ec001957eefc931407b yes

I would like to remind everyone: When you publish on forums and so on information about your voting - it becomes corresponding (by timestamp) with voting registry - so you are in fact declaring to the whole world - "This particular masternode(-s) is mine!"
Not good in terms of financial and "shareholder" privacy.

I'm sure some may argue that it could be done cheaper (the current one was done on a shoestring and looks ok) but the bottom line is that we want a professional, slick website to get our message across so a few $ is not a lot of outlay in the scheme of things.

I think USA is not the best place to spend money, in general. It may be more effective to outsource expenses (when possible) for "cheaper regions".
In Eastern Europe, Russia, ... prices is much lower (I guess), for the same results.
For example USD/Rubles ratio dropped about twice during the last year, and ruble prices for things like web design are staying on the same level...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we really need to limit the number of liquidity providers?

The more the better, I guess? If somebody is ready to do the same work cheaper - why do we limit them?
So we may limit total budget - OK, and than the more people will join the less will get each of them - there will be a kind of natural balancing (manager will be "balancing" it)...

And what about support for TestNet and "TestNet managers"? Will it be in October Budget?

Do we really need to limit the number of liquidity providers?

The more the better, I guess? If somebody is ready to do the same work cheaper - why do we limit them?
So we may limit total budget - OK, and than the more people will join the less will get each of them - there will be a kind of natural balancing (manager will be "balancing" it)...

And what about support for TestNet and "TestNet managers"? Will it be in October Budget?

Not really as I understand it. Evan has mentioned this to be an interim quick-fix for DS snappiness. Not a long term solution. So not really a case of "the more the merrier", more like "a bit of oil in the gears"

Spending anything on liquidity providers doesn't make any sense for me:
1) you can't really prove were they working or not
2) they will be mixing with each other because they can't distinguish themselves from "normal" users (otherwise there is no anonymity left) bloating blockchain for no good
3) $50 is way too much

That's not a fix imo. If you want to support mixing - open your wallet and mix. I'm doing that for more than a month now with darksendmultisession=1 (which means it's even more aggressive than the liquidityprovider=1) and darksendrounds=16, restarting when it's done. And it cost me ~2.5 DASH/month which is nowhere near ~20 DASH proposed.

I say no.

2) they will be mixing with each other because they can't distinguish themselves from "normal" users (otherwise there is no anonymity left) bloating blockchain for no good
3) $50 is way too much

That's not a fix imo. If you want to support mixing - open your wallet and mix. I'm doing that for more than a month now with darksendmultisession=1 (which means it's even more aggressive than the liquidityprovider=1) and darksendrounds=16, restarting when it's done. And it cost me ~2.5 DASH/month which is nowhere near ~20 DASH proposed.

I say no.
I fully agree, this proposal does not make any sense. We are trying to "fix" a "problem" by throwing money at it.

3) $50 is way too much

I say no.

Could you please explain how to set up a liquidity provider with the settings above? I'd run such a setup as well, why not. Probably other as well.

Could you please explain how to set up a liquidity provider with the settings above? I'd run such a setup as well, why not. Probably other as well.
darksendmultisession is 0.12.1.x feature, not yet available in current binaries https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/615
darksendrounds=16 works in 0.12.0.53 (either in cmd line or dash.conf)

Keeping your wallet online and mixing with 8-16 rounds should be enough in general. The thing is - "faking" too many real mixing users with liquidity providers does not help at all and can even harm by bloating blockchain because of their useless inter-mixing. The real issue here is not the lack of liquidity in general but the lack of "true" liquidity. I don't know the right way to fix this but incentivizing providers by proposals is a bad way to go imo.

Keeping your wallet online and mixing with 8-16 rounds should be enough in general. The thing is - "faking" too many real mixing users with liquidity providers does not help at all and can even harm by bloating blockchain because of their useless inter-mixing. The real issue here is not the lack of liquidity in general but the lack of "true" liquidity. I don't know the right way to fix this but incentivizing providers by proposals is a bad way to go imo.

I agree with UdjinM6 regarding this is not a fix! However, I find that mixing my wallet takes days. I think for at least 1 month we should try it. The cost is minimal (only $300) and I think everyone on main net would like to know what it would be like to have much faster mixing.
  • If it works then we are proving that it will be much better as the masses come on board.
  • I would be happy to do the LP for free (as a volunteer) but keep in mind that it does cost the user DASH to provide the service.
  • I think the LP should have about 1000 available to mix
    • So that means they are missing out on MN payments
So why not try it for a month? It really doesn't cost (as long as all the slots are not filled yet). <ok, very slight inflation... but come on!>
:)

If they can't figure out to change the 'yes' to a 'no' they shouldn't run a masternode.

Hahaha very true indeed! LOL. Well maybe there are some copypaste nobrainers out there, who knows. Anyway as I said, i was being a nag with some underlaying truth.

I agree with UdjinM6 regarding this is not a fix! However, I find that mixing my wallet takes days. I think for at least 1 month we should try it. The cost is minimal (only $300) and I think everyone on main net would like to know what it would be like to have much faster mixing.
  • If it works then we are proving that it will be much better as the masses come on board.
  • I would be happy to do the LP for free (as a volunteer) but keep in mind that it does cost the user DASH to provide the service.
  • I think the LP should have about 1000 available to mix
    • So that means they are missing out on MN payments
So why not try it for a month? It really doesn't cost (as long as all the slots are not filled yet). <ok, very slight inflation... but come on!>
:)

I concur. If Evan thinks it will help, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and vote "yes" on giving 1.5% of the month's budget to the project.

Voted yes on all.

3) $50 is way too much

I say no.
Udjin, agreed with you on other points except 3): 50 usd is not too much, matter of fact, too little for many of us to bother the hassle, while we could use 1000 dash as a mn and get paid. Think of the opportunity cost a LP has to forego for this: 30 USD (approx. MN earning a month) + 7 USD (roughly for DS fees, could be more if they get hit with so many collateral fees) + electricity and computer wear and tear.. (unestimatable) ... At the end, how much profit can each LP earn? Come on ..not even enough for a cup of Starbucks coffee and a nice lunch for all that work in a month.... :tongue:

EDIT: Also, they could earn more by trading back and forth with 1000 dash in a month...

Back