• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Let's take a quick vote on proposal costs

How much Dash should a proposal cost at current prices?

• 5 Dash

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • 4 Dash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Dash

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 2 Dash

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 1 Dash

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Less than 1 Dash

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Priced in grams of gold; stable, universal and we're meant to be sticking it to fiat
  • Percentage based on amount being asked to allow proposals of different sizes.
  • Minimum to prevent spam
  • Max cap because I see no point over a certain amount
  • Small fixed amount for zero sum proposals to allow for governance questions
I like the idea of a small fixed amount for zero sum proposals. The only thing about it that worries me is spammers. I also like the idea of basing the prices on weights of gold or silver. Harks back to a time gone by. When I was a kid, silver coins were still in circulation in the USA.

One last thought on this topic.... we all know that bitcoin can do very little to make changes to its functionality, and look at the mess they are in. People are counting on Dash to be more responsive to make changes where needed to improve the user experience. The fees charged are a core part of that experience.

I like the idea of a small fixed amount for zero sum proposals. The only thing about it that worries me is spammers. I also like the idea of basing the prices on weights of gold or silver. Harks back to a time gone by. When I was a kid, silver coins were still in circulation in the USA.

Initially the reasoning behind the proposal fee was the spammers. I dont think there is any other reason than that.

A proposal fee is not the only way to prevent spam. Spam can also be defeated by a captcha system, or by a reputation system.

On the other hand when you introduce a proposal fee in order to prevent spamming, you may kill some good ideas. You should pay people for having good ideas, it is wrong to ask them to pay for that. And of course you have to separate those who have the good ideas, from those who are capable to implement them. This can be achieved if you change the current proposal procedure to this alternative budget proposal system.

<vote history>
5 Dash 5 vote(s) 15.6%
4 Dash 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 Dash 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 Dash 4 vote(s) 12.5%
1 Dash 11 vote(s) 34.4%
*Less than 1 Dash 12 vote(s) 37.5%
</vote history>

Last edited:
It's hard to decide on a proposal fee. On the one hand, a low fee is great because it allows more people that have ideas to submit them to get them funded. On the other hand, more proposals might lead MNOs to not spend as much time figuring out which proposals are the best and which ones might not deliver or might not provide much value, as their time is now spread between many more proposals. This might not be an issue in the future as Dash rises in price and MNOs are paid more to offset the time spent voting. The reason why I think a high proposal fee is okay is that if your project is worth a lot you should have no issue with throwing down $500+ on a fee that will be reimbursed when your proposal passes. That said, this also creates a barrier against small projects people want to do but can't afford on their own, like if someone wants to request 10 Dash to help a few local businesses to accept Dash.

I think one way to go about this is to have somewhat of a dynamic fee that will either lower if the previous month's budget was not fully spent or stay steady if the previous budget was mostly used up.
As an example, reduce the fee by 1 Dash if under 75% of the budget was used, reduce it by 0.5 if 75-90% was used, otherwise leave the fee how it was.

Proposals should never be $500+ in my mind, regardless on the size of the proposal and based on the poll the community agrees. I don't see the point in a punishment based on a proposal not passing, kind of ridiculous. If you can't handle filtering through all the proposals, then don't vote... don't worry, the rest of us will take care of it.

Also, if proposals ever got unmanageable, we could always change it up to use some type of 2-tier process... like anybody that holds dash could get 1 vote per dash held... and majority vote could push it through to a final vote by the masternodes. Just an idea I read somewhere else, but there's a lot of us here so I'm sure we could come up with a solution.

I had prepared a proposal earlier on requesting the dev's to focus on IX, until I realized it was going to be fixed as part of evolution. That would have cost me 5 dash, and I would have only been requesting 5 dash. Kind of unsettling to submit a proposal like that when I can't be certain of the community reaction. That should not cost me $500+, nor should any proposal.

Btw, I find value in almost all proposals that pass ... big and small ... marketing and brand awareness can sometimes be a strange thing that's hard to measure... and all these proposals are bringing a little of that.

So bad we cannot see who voted here. Now that the new masternode badge has been implemented, we could extract usefull information if we could see the voters in this poll.

<vote history><-- why vote history is usefull?
5 Dash 6 vote(s) 17.1%
4 Dash 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 Dash 1 vote(s) 2.9%
2 Dash 5 vote(s) 14.3%
1 Dash 11 vote(s) 31.4%
*Less than 1 Dash 12 vote(s) 34.3%
</vote history>

Last edited:
This discussion is all over the place. I agree that the 5 dash fixed fee is not what it used to be, and in the future it could become prohibitive as the price of dash changes. However unlike many I do not live in the US and I am not always convinced that USD will not experience inflation. US debt is high and printing money could happen.

We need to keep it easy to understand. I suggest a scale based on the value of the proposal. 0.5 DASH for proposals up to 5 DASH. 1 DASH for proposals up to 10 DASH. 1.5 for proposals up to 20. 2 for up to 30. And 3 DASH after that.

I made these numbers up. We might choose different numbers. But something along those lines.

If we don't like that idea, I would support a link to the value of gold. But not to the value of a fiat currency.

This discussion is all over the place. I agree that the 5 dash fixed fee is not what it used to be, and in the future it could become prohibitive as the price of dash changes. However unlike many I do not live in the US and I am not always convinced that USD will not experience inflation. US debt is high and printing money could happen.

We need to keep it easy to understand. I suggest a scale based on the value of the proposal. 0.5 DASH for proposals up to 5 DASH. 1 DASH for proposals up to 10 DASH. 1.5 for proposals up to 20. 2 for up to 30. And 3 DASH after that.

I made these numbers up. We might choose different numbers. But something along those lines.

If we don't like that idea, I would support a link to the value of gold. But not to the value of a fiat currency.
This is the only suggestion discussed here that deserves consideration other than my own. If you want 10,000 DASH because the idea you had while smoking pot in your mom's basement was sooo cooool maannn.... We need to weed that crap out. Proportionality makes sense.

Some snowflake took my sarcasm seriously as an excuse to get offended and hate the ugly american... My example was clear. I stopped reading after that...

People who have resources to actually get things done, can afford it. We don't need ideas alone. We need people who can actually do them. A boatload of dreamers with no clue how to do it submitting proposals is a waste of time.

If you want to make a presentation to the Board of Directors, it's not free. There are expenses associated with doing so. Show us you're not full of crap. Ante up.

If you think you're going to revolutionize DASH, but don't even have $450 to spend to buy a pulpit to tell us all about it... Or you aren't confident enough in your idea...

It costs NOTHING to post a pre-proposal discussion. Maybe you'll find backers? Partners? Team-mates?

I find it hard to take someone seriously if they can't scrape together $450 for what they claim is the best idea, like, ever... If it's so great, put up or shut up. Quit demanding the bar be lowered. Grow a pair, jeez...

<vote history>
5 Dash 6 vote(s) 15.0%
4 Dash 0 vote(s)0.0%
3 Dash 1 vote(s) 2.5%
2 Dash 6 vote(s) 15.0%
1 Dash 13 vote(s) 32.5%
*Less than 1 Dash 14 vote(s) 35.0%
</vote history>

The above poll should be merged to this one.

All polls having similar subjects should be merged.

Last edited:
Back