• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Nation Consensus Discussion

Dash Nation is simply a way of saying we are all one team working to see Dash succeed, without classes or roadblocks, majority rules. That's the philosophy I'm asking for here. I'd really like to see this vision come to life. We have many, many talented people in Dash Nation who can all contribute. Who do they report to? The "core team", or the DAO? I say the DAO. Maybe the majority disagrees with me, I guess we'll see in time.

there is absolutely no harm at all in creating a "Dash Nation" ... a collective of equally minded guys doing their thing the way they see fit.
I applaud that!
Just not to try to make pass it as official. Dash Nation should report to no one, but their own self-organising consensus.

there is absolutely no harm at all in creating a "Dash Nation" ... a collective of equally minded guys doing their thing the way they see fit.
I applaud that!
Just not to try to make pass it as official.

Why not? We are a DAO, and if the majority of DAO masternodes agree, should it not pass like any other proposal? Food for thought.

Edited to say Masternodes, not members.

Why not? We are a DAO, and if the majority of DAO members agree, should it not pass like any other proposal? Food for thought.

So what exactly are you proposing? Creating a Dash Nation without structure to lead the development of a project without a clearly defined direction?
I'm seriously not getting it.

I applaud that!
Just not to try to make pass it as official. Dash Nation should report to no one, but their own self-organising consensus.

Well right now I don't think there even is a way to make it "official" in the sense that we can't make it have any power when there is nothing in place to give it any teeth. But it can be "official" in the sense that it's what most people agree on, and can point to in order to prevent misunderstandings.

That is not at all how it actually happens - except when he has a burst of creativity ... and as a creative person myself, I fully understand how important it is to let a visionary lock himself and work 18h a day without exterior input.

There is no internal trouble. The entire dev team is very finely tuned and in sync.

There may not be internal trouble inside the dev team, but this would not be about how the dev team works internally, it is about the entire DASH community and our relationships with each other in various roles. What people should do when 'x' happens,...etc

Well right now I don't think there even is a way to make it "official" in the sense that we can't make it have any power when there is nothing in place to give it any teeth. But it can be "official" in the sense that it's what most people agree on, and can point to in order to prevent misunderstandings.

I'm truly, honestly, seriously not following. "most people agree on" ? Where exactly is this majority?

Answered points regarding roles, majority, constitution and "one team philosophy" there https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/april-2016-budget-proposal.8480/page-3#post-92443 already.

Another note:
I've seen this too many times in crypto - shouting "We are community!" quickly turned into some kind of a crypto-racism "Yay! We are community! And those guys are... I don't know .. devs? merchants? miners? who cares! We must dictate the rules to them because... Because we are The Community!". I'd like to avoid that transition here.

Dash Nation is simply a way of saying we are all one team working to see Dash succeed, without classes or roadblocks, majority rules. That's the philosophy I'm asking for here. I'd really like to see this vision come to life. We have many, many talented people in Dash Nation who can all contribute. Who do they report to? The "core team", or the DAO? I say the DAO. Maybe the majority disagrees with me, I guess we'll see in time.
Report? I'd say to no one or better to say to themselves. If you can say to yourself "I've done smth cool and I've done it right (at least in the end :rolleyes:)" honestly - you are ok, if not - fix it.

Exactly this. A general agreement on how to proceed. Does the "core team" and community status quo stand, or are we all one team under Dash Nation? You know where I stand, we need more opinions. This is important to sort out to avoid problems every step of the way.

I'm truly, honestly, seriously not following. "most people agree on" ? Where exactly is this majority?

This is a good question. Is this intended to be something that exists to demonstrate the position of masternode operators, or the entire DASH community?
I was thinking just masternode operators, because we already have a voting mechanism in place... but not sure. What do you think, tao?

Answered points regarding roles, majority, constitution and "one team philosophy" there https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/april-2016-budget-proposal.8480/page-3#post-92443 already.

Another note:
I've seen this too many times in crypto - shouting "We are community!" quickly turned into some kind of a crypto-racism "Yay! We are community! And those guys are... I don't know .. devs? merchants? miners? who cares! We must dictate the rules to them because... Because we are The Community!". I'd like to avoid that transition here.

Report? I'd say to no one or better to say to themselves. If you can say to yourself "I've done smth cool and I've done it right (at least in the end :rolleyes:)" honestly - you are ok, if not - fix it.

Thanks for linking to that, I think there are some good ideas in that post. I'm curious which failures you are referring to, about communities that have taken a wrong turn in that way?

Another note:

So you advocate for the "core team" and conmunity status quo. So in my example, @GreyGhost has to go through a core team member to fix the website in a less efficient way. I would like to see that dropped, and let people who are qualified at various things (with Masternode approval) be able to do them themselves. More efficient no? Nice debate BTW, good to see. I can't help noticing that so far the opinions have fallen along "core team" and community lines. Just sayin' :D

Or, how about thinking about it another way. Instead of something completely brand new, what if you were tasked simply with describing everything exactly the way it is now? The relationships between various entities that all play a part to make DASH what it is. Which decisions are made by whom? Who has the power to control what? What happens when there is a disagreement between these entities? If we can get something on paper for how things currently are, then we can look at it and review if this is how we would like things to be.

This is a good question. Is this intended to be something that exists to demonstrate the position of masternode operators, or the entire DASH community?
I was thinking just masternode operators, because we already have a voting mechanism in place... but not sure. What do you think, tao?
Masternodes, yes.

How about a little exercise.
I propose DASH Nation Constitution v0.01, which is as follows:
"Evan Duffield is the supreme leader. All decisions are initiated and approved by Evan. Evan should be in sole total control of vision, development, and budget allocation"

Why is this wrong? I welcome you to propose revisions/amendments.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to make a caricature out of this?

@TroyDASH ... with all due respect, on the other thread it became clear you have still a very baseline understanding on how blockchain crypto-currencies work. You are asking for a written document on the dynamic relationship on "exactly how thing are now". It is very hard to do that when you don't understand some basic fundamentals of crypto, and therefore Dash. I am very glad to explain it further

I a more than happy and available for some Q&A, we've had an influx of new users, and I've always been one to help folk get up to speed with things.
Also, regarding the "Constitution" - your irony apart, this is the sort of thing we're strongly against.

Why are you trying to make a caricature out of this?

I'm not trying to make a caricature. Just need to start from somewhere, anywhere.

... with all due respect, on the other thread it became clear you have still a very baseline understanding on how blockchain crypto-currencies work. You are asking for a written document on the dynamic relationship on "exactly how thing are now". It is very hard to do that when you don't understand some basic fundamentals of crypto, and therefore Dash. I am very glad to explain it further

I a more than happy and available for some Q&A, we've had an influx of new users, and I've always been one to help folk get up to speed with things.

The purpose of this is not technical documentation. This is a high level view, a way for masternode operators to communicate information to everyone. Information which represents the consensus of the masternode operators on the relationship between different entities in the DASH system, which is entirely outside of anything that is built into the protocol.

Also, regarding the "Constitution" - your irony apart, this is the sort of thing we're strongly against.

Who is "we"?

Short overview of network consensus rules (~3 minutes).
Add masternodes for funding in the model described there and you gets Dash's consensus.

More broad overview of bitcoin consunsus including some technical parts (~1.5 hour).

Highly encourage everyone to watch both videos if you haven't already, Andreas is doing great job explaining complex things in a simple way there (as always).

Back