• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH: Identity Problem (?)

I agree with GreyGhost that we have a serious image problem and furthermore it may be deteriorating further due to reasons put forward by raganius. However would like to point out that there are three factors at play here

1. How we are currently being perceived?
2. How we want to be perceived?
3. Is perception changing and how?

I think the discussion need to be branched in these three categories. Especially since we are not talking about hype here yidakee, but reputation\image and that is damned difficult to change. I fear infrastructure or norms changing to the point that DASH would be cast aside like electric car in the early part of last century.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think there are several coexistent truths.

1. Dash has departed and morphed from it's original aims / perception

Dashsend was the original USP and had a window of opportunity to expand within the shadow economy. Instead, it rebranded to Dash and instant transactions became the main focus for "real world use".

Dash's priority is not in anonymity but to flirt at the edges with fiat and, thus, AML / KYC requirements. A few thousand nodes sitting behind public IP addresses is not going to save us from spying and collusive government bodies. A 50% damage to the MN network would have what effect to massively adopted end users? If anonymity was a priority, we'd all be functioning through i2p.

2. Dash has a relatively well defined path

As dash evolves, it's future becomes more clearly defined. For me, things are much clearer when I view dash as a franchise.

3. Dash has a perceived conflict of interest

MNs are attractive to investors, making the scarcity of dash more scarce. With the remaining minority of dash, we hope to stimulate and maintain liquidity. But I think that's only possible with abundance (doge style) and price stability (without being pegged to fiat).

Personally, I think dash should split into two coins; DashGold (for investors) and DashSilver for stable day-to-day transactions. DashSilver would be priced in whole numbers, no fiddly fractional numbers.

Of course, none of this will happen, but it would draw a line and make it's intentions clear.

4. Dash Nation-like initiatives are good for short-term only

For most users, USD crosses political divisions. With USD you're not joining / affiliating with a community or club.

Conclusion / Personal View

Dash has morphed and it's future becomes more defined. It does, however, suffer from an identity crisis because MN dividends are it's main claim to fame yet it also seeks to be ubiquitous. Instead of being neutral, Dash Nation-like initiatives simply promotes a club-like experience, thus asking outsiders to consider if they want to be part of it.

Personally, I think there are several coexistent truths.

1. Dash has departed and morphed from it's original aims / perception

Dashsend was the original USP and had a window of opportunity to expand within the shadow economy. Instead, it rebranded to Dash and instant transactions became the main focus for "real world use".

Dash's priority is not in anonymity but to flirt at the edges with fiat and, thus, AML / KYC requirements. A few thousand nodes sitting behind public IP addresses is not going to save us from spying and collusive government bodies. A 50% damage to the MN network would have what effect to massively adopted end users? If anonymity was a priority, we'd all be functioning through i2p.

2. Dash has a relatively well defined path

As dash evolves, it's future becomes more clearly defined. For me, things are much clearer when I view dash as a franchise.

3. Dash has a perceived conflict of interest

MNs are attractive to investors, making the scarcity of dash more scarce. With the remaining minority of dash, we hope to stimulate and maintain liquidity. But I think that's only possible with abundance (doge style) and price stability (without being pegged to fiat).

Personally, I think dash should split into two coins; DashGold (for investors) and DashSilver for stable day-to-day transactions. DashSilver would be priced in whole numbers, no fiddly fractional numbers.

Of course, none of this will happen, but it would draw a line and make it's intentions clear.

4. Dash Nation-like initiatives are good for short-term only

For most users, USD crosses political divisions. With USD you're not joining / affiliating with a community or club.

Conclusion / Personal View

Dash has morphed and it's future becomes more defined. It does, however, suffer from an identity crisis because MN dividends are it's main claim to fame yet it also seeks to be ubiquitous. Instead of being neutral, Dash Nation-like initiatives simply promotes a club-like experience, thus asking outsiders to consider if they want to be part of it.
So far, Dash Nation is a "club" that many people are interested in joining. My goal is to sign up the majority of the world. We won't discriminate against anyone either. Bitcoin Rush, craigrant, black, white, rich, poor, old, young.

Dash Nation is borderless and open. And it's currency is going to change the world.

Thanks for your feedback though, bro!

So far, Dash Nation is a "club" that many people are interested in joining. My goal is to sign up the majority of the world. We won't discriminate against anyone either. Bitcoin Rush, craigrant, black, white, rich, poor, old, young.

Dash Nation is borderless and open. And it's currency is going to change the world.

Thanks for your feedback though, bro!

Yes, and I wish you good luck! I only meant to say, for some people, an opinion on a club might form an opinion on dash... in the same way bitcoin community defectors come to dash. For me, I don't need a USD club to want or use USD.

I agree with Tao and don't agree Dash has an identity crisis at all. For me the purpose of Dash is to be a viable alternative to Bitcoin, that meant first to be private, instant and scalable, non of which Bitcoin really after it's initial growth, and I am only recently understanding how corporate and centralized Bitcoin is becoming. That is a very dangerous position for them to be in long term, the core value has always been decentralization, now you have Google / Yahoo / Horizons / AXA investing millions of $ into a private company the main devs work for and pretending they have no influence and 'represent that majority opinion', it couldn't really be going more wrong for the original ideals - not to mention pracitcally everything in outside of their 80 GB desktop client is centralized, whether that's BitPay, CoinBase, any kind of web or mobile access, mining, funding, decisions - you name it. More recently Dash has been about adding improved decentralization with decentralized funding and growing the masternode network, which is the strongest network after Bitcoin and potentially can be orders of magnitude larger in the future - why is that important? because all cryptocurrencies are internet services and such services need strong networks to support user activity.

The next step is Evolution which is about taking Cryptocurrencies into the mainstream, this is a screenshot of the welcome screen of the new prototype which explains more about what it's doing.

upload_2016-4-3_14-8-28.png

This all takes time, but for me the answer to Dash's identity is doing what Bitcoin was supposed to do but is now refusing to do - providing a decentralized currency for average people to escape the clutches of banks or any other centralized authority, period. Privacy, scalability, resilience, decentralization, speed, accessibility, ease of use, we need to innovate to stay at the top of all of those, and they are all priorities in my opinion. I don't expect the speculators in the crypto space to really understand this yet but the people here do and that is our strength. Just keep doing what we're doing and innovate, there is no crisis there as I see it, quite the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
GreyGhost, I would not say that we have an identity crisis. I am assuming that you came to this conclusion after different opinions observed when you submit your proposal. This is not an identity crisis - in my opinion it is simply an internal competition and different opinions (what is very positive for our project). I have to say I had similar doubts after closure of the other PR project. I was wondering why people would not want good Dash promotion? Why the good project is voted down despite the visible results? .At the end of the day I had to accept the fact that it was closed due to the multiple issues. Period. Those who have money (MN owners) always have the last word in our system. We need to accept that.

I can only speak for myself and (probably) for the core team and state that we do not have any identity crisis.
We have defined very clear long- and sort-term strategy.
We have selected our strategic areas to work with in order to make Dash better.
We have created a strong team of individuals with different skills and experience needed to develop the project.
We have started multiple projects to develop project software, infrastructure, integration with other systems etc.We run them consequently and improve the way we work.
We listen to the voice of community and modify the way the core team works in order to meet the expectations of the MN owners and the entire community.
... and it brings good results.
All of this states that we really know who we are, were are we going and we know what we want to achieve. It is far from any identity crisis.

Do we have issues? Sure! But we work hard to resolve them. More - we are expecting more issues in the future. But it won't not stop us - we learn and getting better and better.

Looking excellent!

What's the ETA for Evolution's release? Also do you know when 12.1 is due?

Probably over 12 months at the current rate. 12.1 I think 2-3 months but that is core and i'm on the web team.

This is just my opinion but this year we should really try to get more developers using budget funds to speed up development or develop to a wider scope like ecosystem too.

A slightly more controversial opinion but...I don't think any of these marketing and PR efforts are going to give the expected results.

The reason is (and this is just me) but I don't know a single mainstream-type user that is going to use a cryptocurrency over PayPal when you need a desktop and harddrive to use it, when there are purely web based alternatives that have already cornered the market. Everyone I know who uses crypto is an "IT enthusiast."

Sure you can use coinbase or BitPay, but how do you justify that to a mainstream user - use this decentralized currency but it's not decentralized actually and you are going through someones server and they need your name and address...huh?

We have to be there on the web and on mobile with the full value - it's decentralized, no one can turn it off, you don't need anyones permission, you use it direct, you don't need a hard drive etc.

am i the only one that gets this??? :smile:

He left us for Ethereum.... of course lol

He actually went full-retard with Digibyte and Monero. I got his last video (which he also deleted b/c digibyte started tanking next day) on my comp. I might make a humorous compilation of all the flip-flops he has done one of these days.

From what I'm seeing it looks like he just goes with whichever way the wind is blowing. He's essentially a day trader, he says for him that investing in anything for even a couple months is a "long term investment". That's fine, it's just that he goes full blown hype about whatever he's invested in, and then moves on to the next thing.

I agree with Tao and don't agree Dash has an identity crisis at all. For me the purpose of Dash is to be a viable alternative to Bitcoin, that meant first to be private, instant and scalable, non of which Bitcoin really after it's initial growth, and I am only recently understanding how corporate and centralized Bitcoin is becoming. That is a very dangerous position for them to be in long term, the core value has always been decentralization, now you have Google / Yahoo / Horizons / AXA investing millions of $ into a private company the main devs work for and pretending they have no influence and 'represent that majority opinion', it couldn't really be going more wrong for the original ideals - not to mention pracitcally everything in outside of their 80 GB desktop client is centralized, whether that's BitPay, CoinBase, any kind of web or mobile access, mining, funding, decisions - you name it. More recently Dash has been about adding improved decentralization with decentralized funding and growing the masternode network, which is the strongest network after Bitcoin and potentially can be orders of magnitude larger in the future - why is that important? because all cryptocurrencies are internet services and such services need strong networks to support user activity.

The next step is Evolution which is about taking Cryptocurrencies into the mainstream, this is a screenshot of the welcome screen of the new prototype which explains more about what it's doing.

View attachment 2342

This all takes time, but for me the answer to Dash's identity is doing what Bitcoin was supposed to do but is now refusing to do - providing a decentralized currency for average people to escape the clutches of banks or any other centralized authority, period. Privacy, scalability, resilience, decentralization, speed, accessibility, ease of use, we need to innovate to stay at the top of all of those, and they are all priorities in my opinion. I don't expect the speculators in the crypto space to really understand this yet but the people here do and that is our strength. Just keep doing what we're doing and innovate, there is no crisis there as I see it, quite the opposite.
Well thought out response. Welcome to Rebelmouse!
https://www.rebelmouse.com/dashnation/why-is-andy-freer-1706245048.html

Back