• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to setup a plain Dash node? (not a masternode)

daf

Hello all,
Is there a guide somewhere explaining how to setup a Dash node, without all the masternode goodness and payments? (I suppose the setup is very close… but what are the differences?)
I'm asking this because I'd like to test a self-hosted node before possibly upgrading it to a masternode.

H Daf,
If you just run the core wallet, you will be acting as a full node; then its just a matter of keeping it online. You can then upgrade the core wallet to a masternode by adding the 1000 collateral.

Hope that makes sense :).

Pablo.

H Daf,
If you just run the core wallet, you will be acting as a full node; then its just a matter of keeping it online. You can then upgrade the core wallet to a masternode by adding the 1000 collateral.

Hope that makes sense :).

Pablo.

The Dash main desktop wallet acts as a standard node but can't act as a masternode even if the masternode collateral is kept inside the wallet.

You would need to rent a server to run a masternode or host the masternode on your own server.

Here are some Masternode guides which cointain all the info you need:

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Masternode

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's true.

You will need to host the hot node and use the wallet to start it. I think I might have oversimplified it :).

Pablo.

The Dash main desktop wallet acts as a standard node but can't act as a masternode even if the masternode collateral is kept inside the wallet.

Did Pablo mean running desktop Dash-QT or running dashd on a Linux server?

Edit : Just read Pablo's reply.

OK, I think my full node setup is done, but I'd like to be sure. Where can I see the list of Dash active full nodes? Or is there a command to enter in my Linux command line?

OK, I think my full node setup is done, but I'd like to be sure. Where can I see the list of Dash active full nodes? Or is there a command to enter in my Linux command line?
There is no such list afaik but you can verify that your node is available by modifying your local dash.conf - add this line (change IP:port accordingly: mainnet port is 9999, testnet 19999):
Code:
connect=IP:port

Your wallet should be able to find network and should display exactly 1 connection - your node.

There is no such list afaik but you can verify that your node is available by modifying your local dash.conf - add this line (change IP:port accordingly: mainnet port is 9999, testnet 19999):
Code:
connect=IP:port
Your wallet should be able to find network and should display exactly 1 connection - your node.

Thanks. It works! Sync is obviously very slow though, using only 1 peer. Dash-QT is still "syncing winning masternodes" after more than 24 hours.

If I'd like to upgrade this self-hosted full node to a self-hosted masternode (in a virtual Linux machine), what would be the risks? Could my home DSL line be DDOSed, for instance?

Thanks. It works! Sync is obviously very slow though, using only 1 peer. Dash-QT is still "syncing winning masternodes" after more than 24 hours.

If I'd like to upgrade this self-hosted full node to a self-hosted masternode (in a virtual Linux machine), what would be the risks? Could my home DSL line be DDOSed, for instance?
"connect" option was a trick to make sure your node is available because what it does it tells your wallet to reject any other attempts to connect from/to your wallet. If you don't want your wallet to be always connected to your own node only you should remove this line.

Technically speaking you can be DDoSed even if you run no server - your (router) IP is out there anyway. But hosting a full node or a masternode make it easier to discover because now you run some network service and node is "advertising" itself.

Reactions: daf
Hi there.
I'm new here, but confused by what seems to be incorrect information above.

>> Where can I see the list of Dash active full nodes?

https://dashninja.pl/masternodes.html#mnlistdetail

>> Or is there a command to enter in my Linux command line?
dash-cli masternode list full

How to confirm your master node is running.

From terminal, run:
dash-cli masternode list full | grep YOUR_COLLATERAL_ADDRESS

If the response says "ENABLED", then you should be fine.
After a little while, it will also show up here:
https://dashninja.pl/mndetails.html?mnpubkey=YOUR_COLLATERAL_ADDRESS

>> The Dash main desktop wallet acts as a standard node but can't act as a masternode even if the masternode collateral is kept inside the wallet.
>> You would need to rent a server to run a masternode or host the masternode on your own server.

Are you sure about this?
As far as I know, the easiest and most obvious way to setup a Masternode is using dashd or dash-qt locally with masternode collateral.
I don't see any technical reason one would need to necessarily have a remote server.
I just did this and am recognized by the network, but am still waiting for my first payout (so I cant be 100% sure)

FYI:
I can now confirm that my masternode works perfectly, so the above statement from InTheWoods "Foundation member" and UdjinM6 "Official Dash Dev" are is not accurate.
Anyone can get a list of masternodes online and via commandline and t
There is no need to rent a server to run a masternode.

EDIT: Updated to reflect my mixup between masternodes and full nodes.

FYI:
I can now confirm that my masternode works perfectly, so the above statements from InTheWoods "Foundation member" and UdjinM6 "Official Dash Dev" are not accurate.
Anyone can get a list of masternodes online and via commandline and there is no need to rent a server to run a masternode.
Hmm, interesting statement. And where did you think I said the opposite?

EDIT: Oh, I see
>> Where can I see the list of Dash active full nodes?
https://dashninja.pl/masternodes.html#mnlistdetail
>> Or is there a command to enter in my Linux command line?
dash-cli masternode list full

Wrong. It shows only masternodes, not full nodes.

How to confirm your master node is running.

From terminal, run:
dash-cli masternode list full | grep YOUR_COLLATERAL_ADDRESS

If the response says "ENABLED", then you should be fine.
After a little while, it will also show up here:
https://dashninja.pl/mndetails.html?mnpubkey=YOUR_COLLATERAL_ADDRESS
So now you are answering a different question - "how to confirm that your masternode is on the list/active" while the original one was, again, about a full node.

>> The Dash main desktop wallet acts as a standard node but can't act as a masternode even if the masternode collateral is kept inside the wallet.
>> You would need to rent a server to run a masternode or host the masternode on your own server.

Are you sure about this?
As far as I know, the easiest and most obvious way to setup a Masternode is using dashd or dash-qt locally with masternode collateral.
I don't see any technical reason one would need to necessarily have a remote server.
I just did this and am recognized by the network, but am still waiting for my first payout (so I cant be 100% sure)
Yep, that statement by InTheWoods was incorrect, you can actually run a masternode on your desktop if you keep it powered on 24/7 and you configured your router correctly (though most of them should work even out of the box).

Thanks UdjinM6.

>> the original one was, again, about a full node...
My mistake, I was assuming masternodes when user asked for just "full" (non-master) nodes.

Back