• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Marketing VS PR

Do we want a Marketing or PR company?

• Full Marketing Company

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Just a PR specific Coompany

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solarminer,
We need more people to know Dash. Even if still some work or merchants adoption.
PR will not only attract more investors or users, but maybe some worker that will do something to the ecosystem and help Dash to grow.
How did we get new developers? The minimum is that they know what is Dash and what Dash is trying to build.

just so everyone is clear investors =/= developers nor does investors =/=users.

We really need to stop calling everyone investors, everyone is a Dash user.

Investors:
"An investor allocates capital with the expectation of a future financial return."

Do you really want "investors" running Dash? or do you want its community to run it? You can't have it both ways.

Solarminer,
We need more people to know Dash. Even if still some work or merchants adoption.
PR will not only attract more investors or users, but maybe some worker that will do something to the ecosystem and help Dash to grow.
How did we get new developers? The minimum is that they know what is Dash and what Dash is trying to build.

Getting investors at this stage isn't going to be a long term solution. Sure the masternode count will go up, but if we don't complete the merchant side, that investment will fall off again. Maybe there is a plan to short term increase investment to give us just enough budget funds to do what we need to do, I don't see that working.

We have no draw for users now. There is nothing to spend Dash on that Bitcoin can't buy. There are no point of sale merchants that accept instantX - the biggest advantage of Dash. So getting users with PR will only be temporary at best.

Getting developers by doing a PR compaign doesn't seem effective. Wouldn't an ad for a developer with funding from a budget proposal be a better method? I envision 3rd party development happening after merchant tools are available.

We are not bitcoin where 100,000s of bitcoins purchased cheaply from a few investors can pay to start projects after the bitcoin value increase. We don't have the "this is totally new" option to get investment either. We need to compete with bitcoin first. Be faster, lower cost. Right now we don't have the tools working in the real world to show that off(instantx merchants).

so bottom line
dashguy , solar miner and woods
you are saying stop all PR and Marketing , the product is not ready and no point in promoting it ?
is that what it all comes down to ?

so bottom line
dashguy , solar miner and woods
you are saying stop all PR and Marketing , the product is not ready and no point in promoting it ?
is that what it all comes down to ?

Nope, just go invest the money somewhere more obviously needed.

Stop pandering to your "investors". Or keep acting like children and ignoring us all day until you realize it yourself then have to swollow your pride anyways.

I think a few people have an issues possibly admitting they are wrong. Dash is too young and UNFINISHED to be spending the budget on a PR campaign.

Go invest into more infrastructure stuff instead.

Any other questions Mr/ Curious Tungfa? Or am I going to keep repeating myself 100x?

Nope, just go invest the money somewhere more obviously needed.

Stop pandering to your "investors". Or keep acting like children and ignoring us all day until you realize it yourself then have to swollow your pride anyways.

I think a few people have an issues possibly admitting they are wrong. Dash is too young and UNFINISHED to be spending the budget on a PR campaign.

Go invest into more infrastructure stuff instead.

Any other questions Mr/ Curious Tungfa? Or am I going to keep repeating myself 100x?

#1 relax
keep breathing !

"UNFINISHED to be spending the budget"
the budget is not spend on PR/Marketing, a portion is as in any company

nobody is "pondering to any investors"
we are all investors obviously, the team is working on the 'greater good' (god dam that sounds cheesy) for the Project itself !
there seems to be some thoughts that the team is directed or dedicated to some big whales or investors, and that is total nonsense ! we are working on this pretty much for free since 2 years , so that should make very clear that there is no hidden agenda going on , whatever conspiracy theory seems to be floating around out there !

"acting like children and ignoring us all day"
am i talking to you or not ?
honestly if anybody is acting like a child it is you in the moment, repeating and repeating the same old things and beating the same dead horses over and over again

"Go invest into more infrastructure stuff instead."
infrastructure is invested in , coded on, extended as we speak
we are working obviously on all levels parallel.

how about this
why don't you try to do a community vote and see what happens ?
PR or No PR
would that settle it once and for all ?

i really do not see where the issue is honestly, everybody is asking for Press, now we have it and now we should stop it again ?
why ?
because we are not ready ? well, what is ready ? we will not be ready ready ready for a long long time
hate to bring it up but Eth sold and launched everything without any line of code ! so did they do it all wrong then ?
did they blow their budget for nothing ?

please
take that passive aggressive tone out of your posts,
it is VERY hard to deal with you if you constantly think you have to put a needle in my ass !
:wink:

#1 relax
keep breathing !

"UNFINISHED to be spending the budget"
the budget is not spend on PR/Marketing, a portion is as in any company

nobody is "pondering to any investors"
we are all investors obviously, the team is working on the 'greater good' (god dam that sounds cheesy) for the Project itself !
there seems to be some thoughts that the team is directed or dedicated to some big whales or investors, and that is total nonsense ! we are working on this pretty much for free since 2 years , so that should make very clear that there is no hidden agenda going on , whatever conspiracy theory seems to be floating around out there !

"acting like children and ignoring us all day"
am i talking to you or not ?
honestly if anybody is acting like a child it is you in the moment, repeating and repeating the same old things and beating the same dead horses over and over again

"Go invest into more infrastructure stuff instead."
infrastructure is invested in , coded on, extended as we speak
we are working obviously on all levels parallel.

how about this
why don't you try to do a community vote and see what happens ?
PR or No PR
would that settle it once and for all ?

i really do not see where the issue is honestly, everybody is asking for Press, now we have it and now we should stop it again ?
why ?
because we are not ready ? well, what is ready ? we will not be ready ready ready for a long long time
hate to bring it up but Eth sold and launched everything without any line of code ! so did they do it all wrong then ?
did they blow their budget for nothing ?

please
take that passive aggressive tone out of your posts,
it is VERY hard to deal with you if you constantly think you have to put a needle in my ass !
Yes, thedashguy needs to tone it down a bit. TheDashGuy No reason to assume an insult or negative response is coming.

I think the main idea here is that we need to be selective on how we are marketing. If we want investors - then target the investors, understand that we need to be able to retain their funds and finish certain parts of the ecosystem. If we target users, then the merchant acceptance should be a big part of that. If we hire an outside company, then they need to direct this type of marketing based on the potential audience. We need to be very involved in decisions and timing the marketing company is making so we can help them get the right message out. Maybe we wait for a month for something groundbreaking to be released and then promote that.

I see PR as promoting Dash to everyone in the same way all the time. Spending a lot in this area, doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, thedashguy needs to tone it down a bit. TheDashGuy No reason to assume an insult or negative response is coming.

I think the main idea here is that we need to be selective on how we are marketing. If we want investors - then target the investors, understand that we need to be able to retain their funds and finish certain parts of the ecosystem. If we target users, then the merchant acceptance should be a big part of that. If we hire an outside company, then they need to direct this type of marketing based on the potential audience. We need to be very involved in decisions and timing the marketing company is making so we can help them get the right message out. Maybe we wait for a month for something groundbreaking to be released and then promote that.

I see PR as promoting Dash to everyone in the same way all the time. Spending a lot in this area, doesn't seem right to me.

so the 'issue' is hiring a Professional PR Company ?
do i understand that correct ?

"I see PR as promoting Dash to everyone in the same way all the time."
that is where a pro company comes in, they know how to selective push Dash
what i am doing here is just keeping us afloat, keeping pages going, maintaining pages, extending social media presence and the likes, sending out Press Releases, talking to journos direct about story ideas,getting us out there as much as i can, keeping an eye on corporate identity and design, ..... (remember when i started there was NOTHING, no CI, no PR, no logos on wallets,....)
but there is a big difference in this and Pro Marketing obviously

Investors vs Users
- Investors
(to some degree in these early stages all investors are users and vice versa)
if we are talking about whales, well it is all about who knows who, the conferences have shown that these personal connections (and introductions) are key to get into these whales heads and pockets :)wink:), hence the BTC Roundtable the guys are going to this weekend. Amazing opportunity to sit down in person with these whales and talk business !
investment, business opportunities, joint ventures,....
but you need that introduction. i am not at all well enough connected in that BTC whale gang to pull something like that off, i am not sure who from our community would be ?
(i am NOT mentioning the 'T' word)
- Users
(as mentioned, in these early stages all users are investors and vice versa)
yes we have to build an ecosystem for these users to spend their coins and get involfed !
but what is such eco system for , if nobody knows us (hence: build up user base).
Chicken = Egg all over, and that is the thin line in PR/Marketing.
and that is exactly why we are (trying) working on all levels parallel, no investors no market cap, no users no eco system, no eco system no users, no market cap no nothing,....
see where i am getting at

remember, the final decisions in all of this come from the Masternodes !
the team puts it out there, the masternodes vote and it goes from there.
there seems to be some 'conspiracy theory' that the team does whatever ..., and obviously that is nonsense as all budgets run through the usual open channels !
i know you guys have some issues with that, but please consider that there is public voting, accept the votes and opinions of others !
that is what the system is build for

This isn't about hiring an outside PR company or not. The question is looking at hiring a marketing company vs a PR company? And that option may be the Dash community or an outside company.

If we have two options (Marketing vs PR) for masternodes to vote, this would make it the decision more clear.

You are right, this isn't a one type of marketing fits all. I will try to be understanding with that it mind.

We have some very talented people in this community. I am sure they will surprise you soon. Stay positive.

We have some very talented people in this community. I am sure they will surprise you soon. Stay positive.

If there are talents in the community, they should have already stepped in and made their proposals to the community. Better to have multiple similar proposals, and to be able to compare proposals, letting the Masternodes choose and vote for the better one, than this infinite talk-and-do-nothing mode that the community seems to be engaging in :wink:

Action, please.

I thought better of my post and deleted it not even 30 seconds after posting. I don't know why you had to leave your quote after seeing my post was no longer there.

Be that as it may, I have become increasingly disenchanted with how certain members of the community have behaved in the recent few months. I am not a fan of it and have had difficulty biting my tongue at times. There is so much more I've wanted to say and haven't. My apologies to everyone for sinking to their level.

I thought better of my post and deleted it not even 30 seconds after posting. I don't know why you had to leave your quote after seeing my post was no longer there.

Be that as it may, I have become increasingly disenchanted with how certain members of the community have behaved in the recent few months. I am not a fan of it and have had difficulty biting my tongue at times. There is so much more I've wanted to say and haven't. My apologies to everyone for sinking to their level.

Please, don't feel like that. I am sure both "parties" feel the same way... that might be something like DASH's growing pains. Tolerance (or better, understanding and civility), patience, and perseverance from each one of us are demanded in order that we overcome difficulties.

I hope to be able to present a very serious, fully-fledged proposal along the lines discussed, during the first week of March or so. The more I work on it, the more excited I get. It will be quite interesting for me to see how the community is going to react. The team that will be behind me, in charge for executing the plan, would be also interesting. What we do when we criticize work of some Foundation Members is not overly productive; some of these guys, and we kind of all know who they are (I won't name names for I do not want to appear as lobbying anyone that carries certain weight...) are working around the clock and are a great supportive backbone for the Dash’s technical genius.

So while I could also pinpoint to certain obvious hiccups and waste I prefer to be focusing on "enormous creative energy coming from the Darkcoin Foundation and its community" and help harnessing all of that into one full, fun, comprehensive engaging approach. ("engaging" for us, insiders and for the people we'll target. More about them in the proposal, once it's ready)

DASH is an open-source, decentralized project. Our marketing / awareness efforts would be much better served if not built around centralized, closed, outdated “PR” approaches but rather if build as an open, organic, open-source like campaign. I will outline four different avenues that will all go under the umbrella that I tentatively call Dash World: Evolution in Marketing. (and may stick with the title)

You guys might even end up loving it :smile:

Hi all, I'm new here, sorry for my English, I'm Dutch :)

Why should there be an absolute? I think PR and Marketing go hand in hand.

You need PR to gain trust from consumers and companies so it'll be used more and more. PR is mostly done at moments when it's needed, like when there's a big news conference or someone wants an interview. At those moments someone who knows the mindset of the consumers towards cryptocurrencies, should be there to speak up.

Marketing should be focussed on the USP's of the coin. Why should people buy Dash? Why should people use Dash? What are the best features of Dash? That's what you want to promote everywhere, also when a PR person speaks up.

Perhaps it's better to first check what has more priority. Questions like "is there enough trust?" or "How well-known is Dash?" could be asked. I'm just guessing that everyone in Cryptoworld has already heard about Dash. To get to an higher level, it's important to persuade people who haven't heard about Dash or cryptocurrency/altcoins entirely.

I'm guessing the main issue with people not wanting to try it out is because it looks too complicated. People want things to be easy (like the vending machine), getting into cryptocurrencies still isn't easy for someone with zero knowledge. It's like a big blur or "something for those tech guys". These people don't need words like "Open Source", "Decentralized", "Two-Tier Network" or "Peer to Peer", they read it, don't understand it and say goodbye. Those terms are for people who are already into crypcurrencies, mining etc.

Normal folks just want to read how they benefit from it in easy language, they also want to read how easy it is to get Dash, and use Dash (in easy words). Perhaps the website should have a welcome page, where people can choose which they are, something like New, User, Trader, Developer. With it set up like this you can give more personalized content for the visitor.

Now another thing is that companies and consumers "listen" to each-other. Why would a company get involved when there aren't any customers to sell to and why should customers get involved when they aren't able to use Dash at companies?

First thing should be to get a easy to understand, step-by-step system which pulls consumers over the line to start buying the coin. Perhaps something like a website that allows people to buy stuff with discount, only when they buy with Dash. Within the website people should be able to buy Dash, and of course buy things they like, all in an easy way.

Start off with a small target audience, when they get used to Dash, you persuade a new target group. Now as the user-base grows bigger, the time will come to persuade companies to adopt Dash. They will be interested because you can offer them target audience customers. Now deals can be made with interested companies and growth can continue.

I just had one comment, I think we should all just focus on execution. Anyone can have an idea, executions are hard to come by. I think in the middle of the discussion we have forgotten about how there has been great community initiatives so far:

• Dash Tennis Tournament in Brasil - Funded
  • Amanda Daily Decrypt sponsorship she presented herself independently - Funded
  • Soda Machine project - Funded
  • Juan Galt presentation in Anarchapulco - Funded
  • Wifi Portal - Funded
So if anyone has an idea for a guerilla marketing campaign they want to run or anything they want to do they feel is on the best interest of Dash. Just do it, include the execution, present your proposal and do it. Contribute by taking action, the project needs all the help it can get.

Edit: I guess the message is, don't worry too much about how others want to promote Dash. If you have a different way you feel is better. Just implement it. Make it happen. If we all do something concrete, no one will be able to stop Dash.

• Wifi Portal - Funded
I can't remember reading anywhere about this project. I guess I can always do a quick search on the forum.

o if anyone has an idea for a guerilla marketing campaign they want to run or anything they want to do they feel is on the best interest of Dash. Just do it, include the execution, present your proposal and do it.
As for now, the budget is full. I imagine that it will be difficult to get any significant financing from the blockchain, unless somebody is willing to wait a few months, until for the reimbursement.

sorry man
totally missed out on this
deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back