• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal: User Friendly Raspberry Pi DASH custom built nodes

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury."

This is why masternode operators are meant to be a subset of users that have a fucking clue. Elsewise, we already see the end is nigh through "vote money for myself" projects like this...

It's already not-at-all difficult to set up and run a masternode. If you dumb it down any more, DASH will implode.

I refuse to be the universal babysitter for DASH. This shit needs to grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is Dash drive expected to be released? Drive space issue could easily be resolved by using a higher capacity flash drive. I own a 256GB USB3 flash drive and there are even bigger ones out there. A 60GB would do the trick. It all depends on the ETA of the Dash drive though. This is not an issue yet.
And that you're running only one daemon per board... Get 4 daemons on the same Exynos with 2GB of RAM, piping the beautiful native IPv6 already being tested... Each one required to have 30GB, that's 120GB just in DashDrive space. Where's your OS going to live?

Better get that NAS running and learn how to NFS... Oh, no, nobody should actually know stuff, it should all be handed to them for free, rape the blockchain, the blockchain is the 1%!

Do you think a flash drive's write speed can even do this? Even eMMC will have a hard time... It's nearly an argument for network booting an iSCSI and not even having a storage medium in your ARMv7 machine... Much less your internet connection...

I've got a still-functional Athlon XP... It's "free." That money would have gone stale if I didn't spend it anyway... Throw away your duffs before mold starts growing on them! They'll bloat up real big and won't fit in the IX tubes anymore!

I fail to see how this is a core function of DASH? If you want to start a business selling these, why the hell should the blockchain be your welfare? How is it that people so easily confuse money with welfare? Or is that the life they grew up in so they don't realize there is a difference between money, and the people it's stolen from at gunpoint?

Why the actual fuck should the DASH blockchain pay for your startup idea? This isn't a free welfare money version of crowdfunding.

I already pointed out that the ODROID-XU4 is a far better platform with a very lightweight 14.04lts server image already, but so are 4096GB VPSes with native IPv6 hosted in datacenters with way better pipes than your 6Mbps ADSL. It's not just resource overhead. Evolution will be moving DashDrive data, constant DAPI requests, locking 1.5mil TXes per second... You got the pipe for that? This tiny-ARM idea is cute, but will it actually work sucking the ocean through a soda straw?

For that matter, why doesn't every DASH client download include a free VPS with self-installing masternode image so every retard can have a vote while not even knowing what just happened? Lets have DASH fund that!

GIVE ME MORE FREE STUFF AND DO ALL THE THINKING FOR ME!!! Free VPSes or you're a racist!

I have a great idea, lets have Masternodes pay for boob jobs for every homeless crackhead I can find in the next 4 years. Free tits! Who doesn't like that? The stipulation? She has to have the DASH logo tattooed across them. See, it's totally for the good of the project! I swear! Promotions! Nevermind that I'm a plastic surgeon... That has nothing at all to do with it!

Lets vote to shut off gravity, too! Stupid republicans and their gravity conspiracy! If not for them we could just flap our arms and fly around anywhere we wanted! DASH should pay for that!

I'd downvote this, but the current system funds everything with only 10% approval... Money hose attached to a pork barrel, yay!
Colorful posts as always. LOL.

Chris is funding this with startjoin. Calm down Camosoul. Info on the startjoin proposal here.
https://www.startjoin.com/ProTip

Hats off to Chris for trying something new and getting involved in Dash. He is also one of the few guests of the Max Keiser show that we have the opportunity to talk with on Dashtalk.

Colorful posts as always. LOL.

Chris is funding this with startjoin. Calm down Camosoul. Info on the startjoin proposal here.
https://www.startjoin.com/ProTip

Hats off to Chris for trying something new and getting involved in Dash. He is also one of the few guests of the Max Keiser show that we have the opportunity to talk with on the dashtalk.
This is not cool and strikes at the very root of what allows DASH to even exist. Masternode operators have to be responsible, fully-informed voters or the whole thing falls apart.

This essentially aims to elimiante the line tiered concept by turning clients back into the same unified one-software concept. No more separate masternodes. Every client gets a masternode so every client is a masternode, so, uh why bother?

This isn't Bitcoin. It doesn't work like that. DASH has already fixed what Bitcoin wouldn't. Lets not break it.

@camosoul

The geek needs to get out of the closet and into the world otherwise we will never reach mainstream adoption anytime soon with this elitist attitude.

You are welcome not to fund this idea. It's your call as it's my call to fund it. It would suck to live in a world where everyone thinks da` same shit.

I will vote on it with my masternodes and everyone else who thinks this is a good idea.

@camosoul

The geek needs to get out of the closet otherwise we will never reach mainstream adoption anytime soon.

You are welcome not to fund this idea. It's your call as it's my call to fund it. It would suck to live in a world where everyone thinks da` same shit.

I will vote on it with my masternodes and everyone else who thinks this is a good idea.
DASH users shouldn't have to be geeks. But Masternode Operators damn well better be, along with an understanding of economics as well.

You are either possessed of this lack of understanding and don't realize what the consequences will be, or you know full well and want it to happen...

This is not cool and strikes at the very root of what allows DASH to even exist. Masternode operators have to be responsible, fully-informed voters or the whole thing falls apart.

This essentially aims to elimiante the line tiered concept by turning clients back into the same unified one-software concept. No more separate masternodes. Every client gets a masternode so every client is a masternode, so, uh why bother?

This isn't Bitcoin. It doesn't work like that. DASH has already fixed what Bitcoin wouldn't. Lets not break it.

I agree with this. See my long post on the previous page showing how complicated and expensive a masternode is to setup. A liquidity provider would be a better/easier solution for Chris to work on.

I agree with this. See my long post on the previous page showing how complicated and expensive a masternode is to setup. A liquidity provider would be a better/easier solution for Chris to work on.
ODROID-XU4 is under $80. Everything else is free. Equivalent VPSes are only a few bucks a month.

I railed against the "guides" and I was wrong. Why? They still had to actually do stuff, and the act guaranteed that at least a little clue would seep in. The number of people who have become linux-competent as a direct result of using those guides has been impressive. And I'll say it again, I was wrong. Guides ended up creating clued-in masternode operators and they were and are a good thing.

This concept seeks to remove all need for knowing anything at all. There will be no learning because there is not need to learn.

There still exists nothing that forces a person to have an understanding of economics, as it proved by the very existence of this suggestion. Anyone who has the first clue how DASH works would never in a billion years suggest this. Unless they deliberately wanted to destroy DASH... Or were honestly clueless to what they were dealing with...

Masternodes need to be responsible, intelligent, educated people with a stake. Not just any old fool who wants to vote himself more free stuff.

@camosoul

Cryptocurrency is not an esoteric society for the initiated few or should not be. If you want it to stay an underground phenomenon...well I don't. `nuff said. :)

This is a great idea, but in reality, there is a bit of management one must perform on one's masternodes. We will have a lot of big hard forks coming up in the foreseeable future. Because of this, I would partner up with DashWhale and/or Moocowmoo, and create something that will be minimally difficult to keep up and use.

It will most likely require a bit of support, if you're planning on servicing non-technical people with Masternodes. On the other hand, people who want to help, and just run full nodes, would be a little easier. Yet they too will have to update, I'm guessing at least 3 times this upcoming year alone. The box certainly shouldn't actually hold a live wallet (that is, a wallet with funds in it) but rather, you'd enter your info as if it's a remote MN, right?

Still, I've got to say that I have servers, each with 4 CPUs 1gb ram and 65 gb drive space plus 1 ip address (extra IP is $18/yr) and they've been running fantastically. I just got 2 more on sale for around $25 per year. So that's pretty darn cheap, and no maintenance. However, we might be able to come up with value added services for these devices.

With value added services, we can easily make these devices more desirable. Would it be possible to run your home computer through the device for added privacy because it automatically runs your queries through TOR? or does other things for you?

@camosoul

Cryptocurrency is not an esoteric society for the initiated few or should not be. If you want it to stay underground...well I don't. `nuff said. :)
Now you're just pushing the agenda without even reading.

You are absolutely right. DASH should be easy for everyone to use! You shouldn't have to know hardly a damn thing to use it.

But, you can't hire the illiterate, entitled 12 year old janitor to run the transaction server and put him on the board of directors, too.

I think Tante touched upon it a little. This isn't a fire and forget concept. Even if you get it approved, these people will be helpless to manage and maintain it. So, hire somebody to have a maintenance and upgrade service? Deal with hardware failures?

They're better off just throwing their DASH at one of the existing MN share services out there. Run by a competent professional that isn't just looking to vote the blockchain into their own wallet. No hardware outlay... Just send of the DASH and someone fit to do the job will do it.

A solution looking for a problem while porkbarreling the blockchain.

I own 3x Pis and 2x XU4s.

The XU4 only has a 4 WEEK warranty! Are you kidding me? It's doubtful that the Pi2B can even do the job. 12 months down the road. Why turn this into an ASIC problem when one can just, you know, not...

I'm still going to use VPSes for obvious reasons... Which you seem to carefully not mention. You're looking more like the Pied Piper than someone who innocently doesn't understand DASH.

Hardware MNs are a cute, fun thing for people who are capable. It's for people who want to push what they learned from reading the guides from "competent" to "fucking expert." Those who don't seek that sort of self-improvement should not be voting. They're better off, for the project, and for themselves, using one of the shared masternode services. Home-hosted masternodes are by no means a practical or economical concept. Not to mention, total sabotage of the very backbone of what makes DASH work.

camosoul regarding why this benifits Dash, it's just hashing out ideas on how to get the general public to run full nodes. The more full nodes running "out there", the healthier our network.

So it's not so much a "start up company" than trying to make it as cheap as possible for people to plug something in and run full nodes for the network when they have to time or knowledge about the system, but want to contribute.

I see nothing wrong with that, except that I suspect that we won't get too many people doing this without compensation, thus using them for masternodes, which is cheaper to do with a VPS.

Anyway, if there could be value added services by having one of these, and running a full node were just one thing of many, this might attract buyers??

@camosoul

Cryptocurrency is not an esoteric society for the initiated few or should not be. If you want it to stay an underground phenomenon...well I don't. `nuff said. :)

There's a difference between a user of cryptocurrency (99+%) and a masternode operator (<1%). As mentioned above, there are barriers to entry to the tune of 1000 DASH. If anybody is investing that much money, they come to realize that you SHOULD have a VPS rented from a 24/7 datacenter. Or the equivalent. You need the bandwidth and uptime for the system to work as designed. Running sub-standard masternodes will hurt the network, not help it.

camosoul regarding why this benifits Dash, it's just hashing out ideas on how to get the general public to run full nodes. The more full nodes running "out there", the healthier our network.

So it's not so much a "start up company" than trying to make it as cheap as possible for people to plug something in and run full nodes for the network when they have to time or knowledge about the system, but want to contribute.

I see nothing wrong with that, except that I suspect that we won't get too many people doing this without compensation, thus using them for masternodes, which is cheaper to do with a VPS.

Anyway, if there could be value added services by having one of these, and running a full node were just one thing of many, this might attract buyers??
I think Chris doesn't understand DASH very well. He's suggesting a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Look at the RATIO of "full nodes."

How many users of DASH are there? How many "full nodes" are there?

Masternodes are already way over the top incentivized compared to the size of it's ecosystem. At the same level of adoption, Bitcoin had about 500 users, total. They were still CPU mining with no mining pools... DASH has over 3400 way-more-than-full-nodes with roughly the same level of adoption...

This is a very cool idea for Bitcoin and it's clones. But, DASH is already a much better idea that goes way beyond it...

The fact that he even uses the term "full nodes" shows that he really does not understand what a masternode is and what it does.

I think his head is still stuck in bitclone crypto mentality, and doesn't grasp the magnitude of how wildly different DASH is.

Hey, I didn't got full-out Trolljegeren, did I? ;-) I still calls 'em like I sees 'em tho....

@camosoul

Actually, running a masternode is a limited population. This will only ever be about 500 people since most owners have more than one. (Why only 500 you say, because there are only so many sets of 1000 Dash and we already have half the Dash in masternodes). This isn't mainstream and doesn't need to be. There is no "masternode setup problem" that you are solving, if someone wants to run a masternode, follow one of the guides. If they don't want to follow the guides, then pay for a masternode hosting provider(there are already 5 or so). There are also a ton of people will to help(like me) if there are questions on getting started.

The wallets people use to move funds and receive funds are mainstream usage. That is what users see. But running a standard wallet/node isn't helping the network like it does with Bitcoin. Dash already has the masternodes to do that.

Running a liquidity provider IS solving a problem. Using a PI for this is reasonable and a decent idea. The network needs unique users to mix funds. This may change with the Evolution next year, but right now this is a need. Let's focus on helping the network.

Thing is, Evan said there will be a totally different solution to the liquidity problem that I don't understand yet. So this isn't a long term issue, and may not need such an investment for a solution. Still, it's awesome Chris thought of us :) I hope he doesn't run away because this first idea might not work. (still might??) Because getting some full nodes into places like Africa would be awesome.

Actually, running a masternode is a limited population. This will only ever be about 500 people since most owners have more than one. (Why only 500 you say, because there are only so many sets of 1000 Dash and we already have half the Dash in masternodes). This isn't mainstream and doesn't need to be. There is no "masternode setup problem" that you are solving, if someone wants to run a masternode, follow one of the guides. If they don't want to follow the guides, then pay for a masternode hosting provider(there are already 5 or so). There are also a ton of people will to help(like me) if there are questions on getting started.

The wallets people use to move funds and receive funds are mainstream usage. That is what users see. But running a standard wallet/node isn't helping the network like it does with Bitcoin. Dash already has the masternodes to do that.

Running a liquidity provider IS solving a problem. Using a PI for this is reasonable and a decent idea. The network needs unique users to mix funds. This may change with the Evolution next year, but right now this is a need. Let's focus on helping the network.
I'm not even allowed to run an LP and get official reimbursement because I'm not part of the cool kids club.

I still keep throwing my coins out there for mixing at a loss....

Thing is, Evan said there will be a totally different solution to the liquidity problem that I don't understand yet. So this isn't a long term issue, and may not need such an investment for a solution. Still, it's awesome Chris thought of us :) I hope he doesn't run away because this first idea might not work. (still might??) Because getting some full nodes into places like Africa would be awesome.
My main concern is:

1) Stupid people will fall for this like "we'll give you free stuff if you vote for us" politicians. I'm still not convinced that he's got malicious intent, but there is the potential for serious damage to DASH if enough dumbasses fall for this. With a horribly defective 10% needed, what a perfect way to take advantage....

2) This will become useless hardware just like an ASIC that gets shipped too late. Even if powerful enough, oaxaca already hammered the fine points of datacenter advantages.

Back