• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Forum dashtalk logs the ip?

vitaly

Today, when the United States NSA is spying, Russia's Finance Ministry wants to introduce criminal responsibility for the use of cryptocurrency we must adhere to strict rules of anonymity.

I think logging the ip does not match the concept of anonymity DASH and I think now the dashtalk administration should abandon this practice, disable this function and declare it officially.

I also would like to see an option to delete the profile of the forum and the opportunity to change the login.

Ladies and gentlemen, today, using anonymous payment system, we are all involved in the revolution, involving the numbers of new fighters, we go forward, creating a foundation for the future of the island of freedom and independence from the power of financial corporations and banks, which for many years manipulated markets, money, and they want more, they come. Anonymity in our ranks should be in first place.

I think logging is needed in a forum setting so as to be able to ban across IP's for trolls and such.

Just my two cents.

Pablo.

I restart my router, and after a few seconds I get a new IP. Good luck trying to ban with this method.

I restart my router, and after a few seconds I get a new IP. Good luck trying to ban with this method.

I haven't looked into this for a while but as I understand it your ISP will issue you a new IP, but within a certain range; then you ban the IP range as opposed to the single IP.

Pablo.

Good point :).

It's not fool proof, but it still adds a layer of complication against malicious users. Having to spend even a few dollars will generally drive your average malicious user to easier pastures.

Clearly not so useful against tech savvy, professional trolls.

Pablo.

Good point :).

It's not fool proof, but it still adds a layer of complication against malicious users. Having to spend even a few dollars will generally drive your average malicious user to easier pastures.

Clearly not so useful against tech savvy, professional trolls.

Pablo.

I have to agree with vitaly here. Its trivial for a 'troll' or anyone to use a VPN etc to bypass this anyway. I say no logging of IP's

It ultimately falls upon the individual to safeguard their own identity. It sounds to me like we all agree that it doesn't really matter if DashTalk logs IPs or not - determined malicious users can easily circumvent IP blocking, and the Surveillance State can easily log connections in/out of the website. So why does this matter at all? If a thing like this even on your PERSEC radar, you ought to at least be accessing the website via TOR, I2P, a VPN, etc...

On the other hand, having access to user IPs is occasionally useful from a forum Administration perspective - there's demographic data that might be valuable when deciding where you want to market this thing. And while bypassing IP blocks is easy, spam and trolls are common online precisely because those activities are so low effort - you might be surprised at how few malicious users actually go to any lengths at all to circumvent very simple things like IP blocks.

On the other hand, having access to user IPs is occasionally useful from a forum Administration perspective - there's demographic data that might be valuable when deciding where you want to market this thing. And while bypassing IP blocks is easy, spam and trolls are common online precisely because those activities are so low effort - you might be surprised at how few malicious users actually go to any lengths at all to circumvent very simple things like IP blocks.

I fully agree with this

for the forum administration it will introduce complexity

need for using VPN at least

but we need for an option in forum profile for each user which will delete a profile with all ip logs of all time

and the user has typed at least 10(or more) posts(verified user) should have the right to have the option to disable ip logging for own profile

When the secret forces wants something to know they have two ways in first step.

1. They send a spy man, which will install spyware on the target server. Or they already have it as Edward Snowden said they have a lot of backdoors in USB devices, routers.

2. They send a formal request to hoster, to provide physical access to the server.

In both cases, today logging the ip provides them more easier way for creating an user database for future use like this:

User1 - USA, Colorado, Real Name 1

User2 - Russia, Moscow, Real Name 2

User 3 – vpn ip

Today DASH just Bitcoins fork with new excellent features, tomorrow it could become a stronghold of dissent, the payment system for the great resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully agree with this

for the forum administration it will introduce complexity

need for using VPN at least

but we need for an option in forum profile for each user which will delete a profile with all ip logs of all time

and the user has typed at least 10(or more) posts(verified user) should have the right to have the option to disable ip logging for own profile
All these are good ideas, but please take into account that Propulsion, the admin of the forum, maintains this on a voluntary basis and has been doing this for quite a while. I'm not sure that those tweaks are easy to do or even possible without complex customization of the forum's software. I recommend VPNs for browsing not just here, but everywhere.

An option to delete forum profile would be nice. I'm sure if someone really wanted to have their profile removed from forum prop could do it manually.

Back