• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

Okey nice :) I've read something about jackpots ? somedays you might get some extra ?
I think i know what you're asking... Sometimes you get two payments in two consecutive blocks and your next payment is not skipped, it's like a lottery jackpot. During testing this is what Evan said:

"... , some double payments are OK, that's working as designed. Think of it as round robin, with a 1% chance of double payment (on mainnet, it's much higher with a lower masternode count). It's going to act kind of like a lottery, it should add some fun to the mix."

And here's the link: https://dashtalk.org/threads/v12-testing-thread.5484/page-82#post-60588

He said again in the "New Payment Logic" post: https://dashtalk.org/threads/v12-release.5888/page-21#post-64073

"- Multiple payments in a row are possible and OK. There should be about a 1/100 chance of this happening and you will not skip your next payment, it's something like the daily network lottery."

And I can testify it's true as it happened to one of my nodes, got two payments in two consecutive blocks, and counted as one payment. But since then I haven't got another jackpot... lol... and now it seems taking longer for masternodes to get paid because of so many masternodes onboard.

Hi,
I already have a dash wallet on my PC, which had some amount of dash in it already.
I created c:\dash and copied the new updated dash-qt.exe into it and ran it.
I generated the 0 address and sent 1000 dash to it from the same wallet.
I then checked out that address on the block explorer and noticed it had 1030 dash in it.
I then looked at the old transactions in my wallet, and noticed I had sent one of the initial deposits (30 dash) to an address that now has an alias of "0" like a year ago.
This was my original amount i received to the wallet, and to the default address when I installed it (guessing now that's address 0 ...)

How do I proceed from here as to not bungle things up?

Hi,
I already have a dash wallet on my PC, which had some amount of dash in it already.
I created c:\dash and copied the new updated dash-qt.exe into it and ran it.
I generated the 0 address and sent 1000 dash to it from the same wallet.
I then checked out that address on the block explorer and noticed it had 1030 dash in it.
I then looked at the old transactions in my wallet, and noticed I had sent one of the initial deposits (30 dash) to an address that now has an alias of "0" like a year ago.
This was my original amount i received to the wallet, and to the default address when I installed it (guessing now that's address 0 ...)

How do I proceed from here as to not bungle things up?
You use the transaction ID of the 1000 dash and follow Tao's guide.

On the Transaction Screen, right click on the 1000 dash transaction and you'll see the "transaction ID".

You use the transaction ID of the 1000 dash and follow Tao's guide.

On the Transaction Screen, right click on the 1000 dash transaction and you'll see the "transaction ID".
Ok, Thanks for the quick reply!
Just unclear on the wording if that address has to have only 1000 dash in it, but I get it now, thanks !

Just unclear on the wording if that address has to have only 1000 dash in it, but I get it now, thanks !
Each transaction has a different "transaction ID", so it doesn't matter if that address has more than 1000 dash, what matters is you sent exactly 1000 dash to that address, and the "transaction ID" of that unique 1000 dash is the vin for your masternode. Later on when your masternode gets paid, the payments will go into that address, so you will have more than 1000 dash again, but that does not affect your masternode.

If not already, always have enable expert coin features enabled via settings/options/wallat.

Now goto send, and click coin inputs, then list mode, now you can see all the change addresses.
Make sure to lock unspent your 1000 Dash before you send out any masternode small change payments, otherwise you will disable the masternode accidently (like me!)

If not already, always have enable expert coin features enabled via settings/options/wallat.

Now goto send, and click coin inputs, then list mode, now you can see all the change addresses.
Make sure to lock unspent your 1000 Dash before you send out any masternode small change payments, otherwise you will disable the masternode accidently (like me!)
You mean "Enable coin control features" ? I was thinking he would come back another time and ask how to transfer out the other 30 dash without touching the 1000 ... :)

Ah, Yes I probably would have come back to ask how to get the 30 dash out of that address.
Thanks.
I do have a question though, maybe I am just not seeing it but I do not see where to set the transaction ID in the instructions contained in this thread.
I see where I am supposed to paste the address 0 into the dash.conf file
I see nothing about VIN or transaction ID ... IS this the correct thread to follow?
*edit*
I read back through and I did see this:
"Your VIN number (use masternode genkey in 1k local wallet console) "
So VIN 1000 = masternode genkey address??
Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
taco_corp you can create the genkey even with your empty wallet but you need to have in your dash.conf masternode=1 to do it :)
You still need the 1000 coins input transaction id and the index of this tx.
Once you have these... you simply create the masternode.conf file where you put something like this:

YOUR_ALIAS_NAME_WHATEVER IP:9999 GENKEY TX_ID TX_INDEX

taco_corp you can create the genkey even with your empty wallet but you need to have in your dash.conf masternode=1 to do it :)
You still need the 1000 coins input transaction id and the index of this tx.
Once you have these... you simply create the masternode.conf file where you put something like this:

YOUR_ALIAS_NAME_WHATEVER IP:9999 GENKEY TX_ID TX_INDEX

I am confused.
So the original instructions are incorrect? Do I need to follow the update instructions instead?

I am confused.
So the original instructions are incorrect? Do I need to follow the update instructions instead?
If you have only one masternode then dash.conf and old kind of setup is OK, if you want to vote on the budget etc than this is the way to go with masternode.conf and@up post.

Back