• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal Discussion - OpenBazaar / Dash Integration

S

snogcel

Hey Guys,

A thought came to me that I wanted to open for initial discussion.

Inclusion into the OpenBazaar project would be huge for Dash. This open source project has been under development for a long time but I think once it's finally released will get a huge amount of PR, and with any luck could end up being really a big deal for online commerce. Benefits I can see right away are:

- mention of Dash in promotional pieces about the platform
- adoption / real world usage of Dash

With DGB in place we finally have a means to make this happen. We have the funding to hire a top notch Python programmer and realize this goal, why not do it? Imagine the following approach:

Phase 1 - SRS

Hire a Python Developer (freelancer on a site like Upwork) to assemble an SRS for Dash integration into OpenBazaar. I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks presently is that no one knows the scope and projected cost of this type of integration. This would present a relatively low risk way to get a sense of the true scope of a proper integration.

Key Deliverables:

- Functional Requirements of Dash Integration: How and where would it fit into the current design of OpenBazaar User Interface?

- Technical Requirements of Dash Integration: What specifically would be required to integrate Dash as a payment mechanism.

- Estimate of Effort: How many hours of development would be required to accomplish these two items.

Phase 2 -

With a clear SRS defined, put this job out for bidding. The developer / firm who created the SRS would be invited to bid and would be the most logical candidate. However, in the interest of maximum value it would be ideal to get competitive bids.

Phase 3 -

Create a follow-up budget proposal using the information gathered in Phase 1 & 2. If approved, we make this thing happen!

What do you all think?

The biggest stumbling block is that OB currently relies on bitcoin for multisig payments/deposits.
You could use Dash without integration, by specifying that payment must be made in Dash, except for the tiny amount required for multisig parts. It wouldn't be smooth but it can work as is, I believe.

The biggest stumbling block is that OB currently relies on bitcoin for multisig payments/deposits.
You could use Dash without integration, by specifying that payment must be made in Dash, except for the tiny amount required for multisig parts. It wouldn't be smooth but it can work as is, I believe.

Very interesting, I didn't realize that. Would be really interested to see how hard it would be to drop Dash in place of bitcoin in that respect, from a tech perspective Dash is completely compatible with bitcoin multisig isn't it? I think we'd need a 100% solution if this were to really gain any traction.

How's it looking now? I was running it a few months ago but it seemed to be a long way from ready back then.

They're targeting a version 1 launch in November according to their website, seems like it's pretty close. I tried it out a few months back as well and was left with the same impression. If I get some time this week I might pull the Server / Client from their repo and give it a spin

akhavr looked into this for us before (sorry for hustling you ever since) I think you have a pretty good picture what would be needed ?
I would totally support this as OB I believe would be great for Dash , but I am not sure how far they are .
yidakee you tried it out a couple of time ?

They're targeting a version 1 launch in November according to their website, seems like it's pretty close. I tried it out a few months back as well and was left with the same impression. If I get some time this week I might pull the Server / Client from their repo and give it a spin

Cool, it looked very promising. I thought they may have bitten off a little more than they could chew at the time but if it really is getting close it'd be well worth looking at. Didn't they have some parts that depended on Bitcoin-XTs extra features or an I thinking of lighthouse? Might try and get it running again sometime in the coming week here too, would like to see how its coming along.

DASH has multisig. not sure if that's what you are asking.

I've checked OpenBazaar and the roadmap for the integration is pretty clear. The easier part would be just to substitute BTC for DASH in the entire OpenBazaar.

Much bigger goal would be to make OpenBazaar multicurrency, so one would be able to see both BTC and DASH (and other currency) products and pay in different ways.

And re SRS and other document deliverables (vs code deliverables)... As soon as we, as the community would decide what exactly we would want OpenBazaar/DASH would like, I can ran it by my company and get project plan and initial estimate. For free.

To do it, someone else but me, should install OpenBazaar, play with it and describe the vision using screenshots/mockups.

tx akhavr for your feedback (I knew you are the man to ask)

anybody wants to team up ? send me screenshots and I photoshop them into Dash (accepted + we talk about this)
what do you think ?

If I get to set it up I should be able to do something there. Maybe worth seeing what Dash can offer over Bitcoin, InstantX is an obvious plus but the decentralised API Evan mentioned could be a game changer.

Last I heard OB was 100% behind using Dash, despite not being able to dedicate the time to port BITC stuff over to Dash. So I'm 99,9999% certain they'd be happy to merge any branch we come up with.

Anyone here thinking "hmmm great blockchain budget proposal..." ... Question is, who has python skills amongst us?

Last I heard OB was 100% behind using Dash, despite not being able to dedicate the time to port BITC stuff over to Dash. So I'm 99,9999% certain they'd be happy to merge any branch we come up with.

I guess most difficult part of the porting was already done. If anyone, knowing some python, having some time to spend on OB/DASH - please PM me, perhaps we will be able to do it. I know what has to be done and how, but lack time.

Anyone here thinking "hmmm great blockchain budget proposal..." ... Question is, who has python skills amongst us?

/me hides ;)

I guess most difficult part of the porting was already done. If anyone, knowing some python, having some time to spend on OB/DASH - please PM me, perhaps we will be able to do it. I know what has to be done and how, but lack time.

/me hides ;)

would you have time if we "find" you a budget ?

Back