• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Overwrote wallet - anything I can do?

lostmybrain happy for you mate, I`m doing the same right now ;) overwrote the wallet.dat with other wallet.dat, meantime I was looking through all the backups, recoverd the system etc I do not have much believe I can get mine. It is less than your 1020....anyway trying my best... thnx for the program....

edit: tried this program but all I get are bitcoin addresses and privkeys.... what am I doing wrong?

Assuming you're using the current wallet version you DID have a look into the folder "backups" in the data directory of the wallet?

crowning :) You know I did :) but I disabled the backups for security reasons - as you can see more secure would have been if I had at least createwalletbackups=1

Well, the is more road to pass for next node than I though. I`ve already felt the butterflies in my stomach.

crowning :) You know I did :) but I disabled the backups for security reasons - as you can see more secure would have been if I had at least createwalletbackups=1

Well, the is more road to pass for next node than I though. I`ve already felt the butterflies in my stomach.
What security problems do we have with wallet backups? I think the automatic backup feature is very good if we do a lot of transactions so frequently and don't have time to backup the wallet all the time, no?

What do you mean "the is more road to pass for next node than I though"? I hope you can retrieve the coins... :/

I`m doing the partition image and who know if in next years there will be some tools available to retriew the data.
moli, yes you`re right, I simply didn`t want storaged the wallet.dat on my PC even with different security programs on board.
Now I keep createwalletbackup=2 just in case....

I`m doing the partition image and who know if in next years there will be some tools available to retriew the data.
moli, yes you`re right, I simply didn`t want storaged the wallet.dat on my PC even with different security programs on board.
Now I keep createwalletbackup=2 just in case....

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/how-to-recover-overwritten-file-774712/

Hi,

splawik, i hope you can find the files. i once had "dd" accident and photorec/foremost (i forgot which) able to recover most of my files. perhaps you can try on the img files.

btw I use this to print paper wallet and keep it save because hdd died when you least expect it too.

https://dashtalk.org/threads/resolved-power-failure-again-dash-qt-problems.5527/#post-57956

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx nooby ;) I did the partion image just in case but do not know if it is not too late already ....
Checked all my backuped wallets but without success...
Ehh life is 'brutal' and full of 'traps' ;) especially when you do not expect them...

thnx nooby ;) I did the partion image just in case but do not know if it is not too late already ....
Checked all my backuped wallets but without success...
Ehh life is 'brutal' and full of 'traps' ;) especially when you do not expect them...
Sorry about that, only thing I can think is a v11 wallet exe version would somehow show the key thats not visible in a V12 wallet(I get a password error for a V11 wallet that will not upgrade, I had to import a priv key to v12 to get a small balance back) but thats a complete shot in the dark.

I talked with the creators of pywallet :) their soft is compatible but he said that I need the wallet before overwriting to get the privkey so not good....
I dump the image of the partition where the datadir is and store it, meaby one day ..... who know :)
Getting to work now :)

I would suggest you to create a DD backup of the partion your wallet.dat was on.
After that mount it read-only on a loop-device.

Which filesystem were talking about? :)

Back