• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Meetings ? Minutes ? .... anybody out there ?

tungfa

Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Hey Foundations + Friends

i know fernando is a busy man, and has way too many things on his plate (as all of us)
but ....

I just had a conversation with a Dash newcomer, asking me about the foundation and if and why he should join.
Honestly that was a hard sell (even though i do not sell, i only give my personal opinions) as it "looks like"
the foundation is dead in the water ! Why would anybody new join ?
I know (as i know everything) meetings are happening, actions are taken,... but to any outside (or even Foundation Member) there is NOTHING going on ?!
I never ever got an email from the foundation, only when i signed up !

- no meetings posted
- no minutes posted
- no updates (last one March 2015)
- no posts

Honestly, that is super lame !
i though we want to do this different than BTC Foundations and all their disasters and put some back into this foundation.

Isn't eltito secretary ? isn't that his job to keep the meeting posted, minutes and actions posted, conversations rolling and such ?!
I think we should reevaluate this !
Get a proactive Secretary in there who takes some weight off fernando's shoulders and brings this back on track !!

Any thoughts ??

Last edited by a moderator:
As you say, things are happening, but yeah, we've made a bad communication work. Thanks for starting this conversation.

Sometimes things that could have been a post ended up posted here or at dashpay.io for bigger reach, but we should definitely do more. Also, the biggest task the foundation has now is the trademark contest process... and most things can't be shared to avoid harming the negotiations.

As for the minutes, eltito has made them and they have been approved. I'm the one uploading them to the website, but I think that in my last tweaking spree I restored a previous version of the page without realizing that it didn't have all the minutes. I'll re-upload the ones that now are not there on Tuesday (on holiday right now, I don't have everything with me).

Btw, for us to be as the BTC foundation I should be putting my holidays on the foundation credit card, but there is no foundation credit card and we all put our own credits cards to pay for foundation's expenses. We may not be doing the best job possible, but comparing us to them is unfair :smile:

To end up in a constructive way... what things would you all like for the foundation to do/communicate (besides minutes and internal stuff)?

have a proactive secretary / or other person involved
so you do not have to do all the work and keep the conversation rolling
I know in these meetings are a lot of sensitive issues discus , and I agree they should not be made public , but even
- "sensitive issue, trademark related" = x Min
Would keep me / us happy
:wink:

I agree with Tungfa, a little bit more transparency would be great and if an issue is confidential, mark the minute item as confidential. You can have different layers of access to information.
1. Information for anyone
2. Dashpay.io members
3. Foundation members
4. Board members

I hate having to check btctalk for information.

I was hoping to join the foundation but was wondering how the meetings were conducted. Want to make sure that I have at least a voice :D
The meetings all are talking about are board meetings, not member meetings. Members do have a voice, but it is an indirect one (they can raise any concern to any of the board members). We meet roughly every month to go over the main topics for Dash, but we are in constant contact via email, so many things get discussed before the meetings. eltito takes notes during the meetings and presents us the minute of the previous meeting for its approval. If it is approved I usually publish it to the website in the next few days, but sometimes we ask for some changes and that delays the publication until the next meeting.

As for becoming a member, the truth is that, right now, being a member means making a donation to support Dash.

This is so because right now the foundation doesn't have very specific functions. We are using it to act where a legal entity is needed (like the legal proceedings to contest the Dash trademark registration that a company is trying, setting up an account at the Apple Store or interacting with some Chinese authorities to educate about scams), but most of the contribution that current board members do is not really in representation of the foundation but as volunteers. I can see how these legal-entity-needed functions will grow as the coin grows, but future never stops to surprise :)

I agree with Tungfa, a little bit more transparency would be great and if an issue is confidential, mark the minute item as confidential. You can have different layers of access to information.
1. Information for anyone
2. Dashpay.io members
3. Foundation members
4. Board members

I hate having to check btctalk for information.
That makes sense, but there is no "dashpay.io members", so it should be 1, 3 and 4 :)

Hey Foundations + Friends

As you say, things are happening, but yeah, we've made a bad communication work.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the budget proposal named "foundation-pt-2" - which passed with 1022 yes / 11 no - has gained 1417 Dash. It's description on this thread say "Foundation Creation" - which I presume is some kind of "rebrand" from the Darkcoin Foundation?

https://dashtalk.org/threads/october-2015-budget-proposal.6234/
Makes sense not to have the Darkcoin name in a Foundation that legally enact in the name of Dash. But I have no clue, just observing. In any case, I'm with you, if you have paying members, it is an obligation to give some sort of periodic status report.

Now lets not forget the Darkcoind Foundation is barely a year old, and the DRK -> Dash rebrand was nothing short of chaotic! I have no doubt we will not go down the drain like Bitcoin Foundation.

If you need any help, good 'ol me is always up for the task.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the budget proposal named "foundation-pt-2" - which passed with 1022 yes / 11 no - has gained 1417 Dash. It's description on this thread say "Foundation Creation" - which I presume is some kind of "rebrand" from the Darkcoin Foundation?

https://dashtalk.org/threads/october-2015-budget-proposal.6234/
Makes sense not to have the Darkcoin name in a Foundation that legally enact in the name of Dash. But I have no clue, just observing. In any case, I'm with you, if you have paying members, it is an obligation to give some sort of periodic status report.

Now lets not forget the Darkcoind Foundation is barely a year old, and the DRK -> Dash rebrand was nothing short of chaotic! I have no doubt we will not go down the drain like Bitcoin Foundation.

If you need any help, good 'ol me is always up for the task.

Evan stated the foundation payments in the budget were not for re-branding but rather to reimburse for the expenses made in creating the foundation in the first place. Hope tha helps :).

Pablo.

I think we paid for the creation of the foundation. There were a lot of costs involved. I suspect there are ongoing costs involved in keeping it going as well. In the presentation in Amsterdam, It sounded like Evan didn't think we needed the Foundation anymore. I think the idea is that the Virtual Corporation would do anything required.

We have this:
Our new biweekly digest:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-biweekly-digest.6223/
Normal Dev Update:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-19-2015.6429/

I think we paid for the creation of the foundation. There were a lot of costs involved. I suspect there are ongoing costs involved in keeping it going as well. In the presentation in Amsterdam, It sounded like Evan didn't think we needed the Foundation anymore. I think the idea is that the Virtual Corporation would do anything required.

We have this:
Our new biweekly digest:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-biweekly-digest.6223/
Normal Dev Update:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-19-2015.6429/

You are right. Ed Moncada paid for the creation of the foundation upfront. After that Evan reimbursed him. The proposal reimburses Evan 50% of what he put.

As for the foundation, there will be a role for it because sometimes it is useful to have a legal US based entity, but yes, the virtual corporation should solve some of the problems that at certain times we thought the foundation could solve. One example of things for which the foundation will still be useful is anything similar to the trademark proceedings, that we would not have been able to start without the foundation.

I'm glad to hear that because I thought the same thing, that there are some things that just require a legal entity. I know it costs money to keep it going but I think it'll be well worth it.

My offer to write minutes for you guys is always open. They would be sent to members of the board for full approval before publishing. If I can help you all in your busy schedules, I'd be more than happy to.

BTW I'm upgrading to windows 10, hard to type here, mining machine n all. So I'll be gone mostly until it's finished, LOL

Back