• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - 5/30/2014 - Fork Causes and Solutions

No but it would allow a person to setup a Masternode and sell shares to other investors. Easily add or remove 1k DRK.
Exactly. Depending on how this system would work (it doesn't exist yet!) it could make easier to reallocate investments if there were the option to have bigger masternodes.

Would it be possible / a good idea to implement checkpoints so that they are accepted for only limited times? Seems like they should only be needed for a short time after hardforks.

Would it be possible / a good idea to implement checkpoints so that they are accepted for only limited times? Seems like they should only be needed for a short time after hardforks.

Think of it as a safety net. In the event of any unforeseen issues, it'll prevent the sort of forking we saw last weekend (well, more precisely, it'll correct it before it becomes a network-wide problem). Better idea to have it running constantly "just in case".

It's nice to have a safety-net, but the checkpoint server could also be a source of problems. Seems like it would require considerable effort to continuously make sure it's running properly. If it's running only for limited times there's less chance of problems happening over time. I'm not really familiar with the checkpointing system, though.

It's nice to have a safety-net, but the checkpoint server could also be a source of problems. Seems like it would require considerable effort to continuously make sure it's running properly. If it's running only for limited times there's less chance of problems happening over time. I'm not really familiar with the checkpointing system, though.
I understand your concern, but standard maintenance headaches like those you mention are simply insignificant in comparison to another random forking incident.

Back