• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Transaction too large error

romario

Hey guys

Hope you can help me with the issue I recently faced.

My wallet balance is ~ 500 DASH, which consists of thousands of tiny incoming payments and a couple of larger transactions of 100-150 DASH each.

Every time I try to send out an amount larger than 5 DASH, I have the "transaction too large" error.
Sending 1-3 DASH or less is no problem. I was trying to play with the settxfee option, but it didn't help.

Is there any way to sort it out?

P.S. Running dashd on Debian7
P.P.S. After I sent several payments of 1-3 DASH, now I cant send even 0.5-1 DASH and keep having this "Transaction too large" error. Pls help

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys

Hope you can help me with the issue I recently faced.

My wallet balance is ~ 500 DASH, which consists of thousands of tiny incoming payments and a couple of larger transactions of 100-150 DASH each.

Every time I try to send out an amount larger than 5 DASH, I have the "transaction too large" error.
Sending 1-3 DASH or less is no problem. I was trying to play with the settxfee option, but it didn't help.

Is there any way to sort it out?

P.S. Running dashd on Debian7
P.P.S. After I sent several payments of 1-3 DASH, now I cant send even 0.5-1 DASH and keep having this "Transaction too large" error. Pls help
Hi there,

There is a limit of ~100Kb per one transaction and each input takes some to be included in transaction. You can try to use scripts like this https://people.xiph.org/~greg/groomer.py to generate combining txes for small outputs (that one is for bitcoin so don't forget to use correct rpc port - 9998) or use qt wallet to select inputs manually. To see in qt how much your tx will take turn on Coin Control feature (settings -> wallet -> click corresponding checkbox) and then click "Inputs..." button on Send tab to actually select inputs. Once you start selecting them you will see size of your tx and corresponding warning labels there.

Hi there,

There is a limit of ~100Kb per one transaction and each input takes some to be included in transaction. You can try to use scripts like this https://people.xiph.org/~greg/groomer.py to generate combining txes for small outputs (that one is for bitcoin so don't forget to use correct rpc port - 9998) or use qt wallet to select inputs manually. To see in qt how much your tx will take turn on Coin Control feature (settings -> wallet -> click corresponding checkbox) and then click "Inputs..." button on Send tab to actually select inputs. Once you start selecting them you will see size of your tx and corresponding warning labels there.

Thanks! I will try it

Is there any new, convenient, automated and fast way to avoid this error now in Dec. 2017? Just imagine a person staying in some store and seeing this error in his SW wallet when he need to pay for some goods right now...

Actually it needs quite some inputs (around 580 last time I've tested, but that's a long time ago) to exceed the maximum transaction size, so either you got LOTs of small payments (like with a P2P pool mining wallet) or a LOT of big payments (like someone with lots of Masternodes) and want to spend big money.

In other words, no wallets I would take to the store.

If you want to avoid this scenario, just consolidate your inputs. Select e.g. 500 inputs in Coin Control (hint: it's easiest to do this in Tree-View there) , and send them to a newly created (own) address.
Or to your wallet which you plan to take to the store.

Back