• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode/TOR setup assistance

daddeo

So I just setup a masternode on a local windows box in testnet and now I'm trying to figure out how to harden it as much as possible. Does anyone have a setup using TOR or VPN or both that they could help explain to me how to properly set it up? I've downloaded the TOR browser bundle and also tried setting it up using this guide: http://www.darkproxy.net/darknet.php. I'm not sure that it was necessarily meant for what I'm trying to use it for but I thought it would be worth a try. The goal here obviously is to run a local masternode without broadcasting my IP. Any ideas? If masternodes are to be well dispersed, then a guide for a secure setup is a must. Just wish I knew more.:confused:

Try linux before thinking about hardening.

Or are you running Windows server?
I tried Windows first because it's easier for me to work with. I thought if I got it running on windows at least I would know it works before pulling my hair out trying to make it happen on linux.
I actually think I figured it out after I posted this. My TOR IP shows up in the masternode list now. If I use that method with a local/remote setup, would I use the TOR IP as the externalip=TORIPaddress on the remote machine?
Windows 7 and I'm practicing the setup in testnet first. I want to make sure it's right before it goes live.

Is there a total idiots guide to setting up a masternode from top to bottom? I'd probably throw a few dark if someone could explain this way it if it's not already available. I'm a smart guy and would like to set up 2-3 of them but reading these guides is mildly overwhelming for me. Also doing so on tor would be great as well, that's what attracted me to this thread.

Is there a total idiots guide to setting up a masternode from top to bottom? I'd probably throw a few dark if someone could explain this way it if it's not already available. I'm a smart guy and would like to set up 2-3 of them but reading these guides is mildly overwhelming for me. Also doing so on tor would be great as well, that's what attracted me to this thread.
This is pretty much top-bottom.

I. Part 1/3 EC2 Setup
https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-1-3.240/
II. Part 2/3 AMI Setup
https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-2-3.241/
III. Part 3/3 Darksend update
https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-3-3.262/

I wish I could help but I'm fumbling my way through this myself. I'm with you though. Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of helpful information in this forum and on bitcointalk, but it's so spread out and hard to know what to do first with which release. throw on top of that the releases keep coming because Evan is working his arse off, it's hard to keep up. Just when I thought I figured something out, a new RC was released. Back to the drawing board I guess. I agree with you, an idiots guide for each OS would be great.

Well this isn't the dogecoin community but I do think people involved with this coin are more helpful and active the than average coin so perhaps something will come along. I do see the problem with someone putting a lot of work into a nice guide only for it to become obsolete not much later since drk is in it's infancy.

My goal is to set up a server at home using an old pc with the wallet located on a separate machine or in cold storage. I'm not sure how much of the guides by chaeplin apply to what I'm looking for. With the latest RC, I'm going to give it a shot using linux. Here goes nothing!:grin:

If trying this on Windows you'd be better to start by downloading the expert bundle as the browser bundle really isn't suitable for what you're trying to do. Of course in Linux everything expert mode ;-) I don't think testing this initially on a cloud provider is a good idea for as it may complicate the network setup.

For getting applications to work through tor, this page is probably a good place to start: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/Misc there are lots of good tutorials out there.

Being able to connect outwards via tor probably isn't going to be enough as you'll likely need to ability for other masternodes/clients to connect directly to you in order to initiate transfers, and they won't be able to connect directly to you via a tor exit node. Also your connection to tor can swap exit nodes frequently so you won't have a consistent IP address.

I think the making this work properly will require setting up a tor hidden service, the hidden service .onion address would then be the 'public' masternode address. This will only allow the masternode to be used for clients running tor, so for full utility for everyone some form of 'real ip address' => .onion address proxy would be needed. Perhaps this could be run on a cloud server with an accessible public IP which then forwards requests to the hidden service via tor - no way to know what the real address of the masternode is, though obviously the proxy setup would be exposed.

Hope that is some help and good luck!

Back