• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

We don't need an amazing name? Are you completely insane?

AIwFHwn.png

This is from the PDF I linked above from a company which specialize in creating brand names. You do this rebrand ONCE and you get something that sticks. That's not done in a few pages of posts, half of which are people saying they either hate or like "Dash.
So, from your own post, "The name IS the brand, and sets the tone for everything your brand is about."

Darkcoin = Digital Cash = DASH.

That is the brand, and it sets the tone for everything our brand is about.

Yeah....cause Microsoft was Super cool too, yeah right. If I was given a nickel for every marketing firm I've hired in my companies that try to justify their existence with hyperbole....I wouldn't be here. Most of those marketing dick's have sucked 100's of thousands from us...and at the end....its the story that sells. Name just can't be "negative". Anyway...I got a couple of days of meetings so I leave all the millionaires on BCT or here come up with the "NAME"! agggghhh

I would say there are more and more people getting comfortable with using the name Dash if it's available. It may not be "perfect" nor does it have to be. It describes Darkcoin's current utility and offering perfectly in a simple, yet concise means of doing so and allows for creative word play in the process. It rolls off the tongue easily, it's neutral in numerous languages and it's a canvas to give meaning. You don't need something aggressive to get users. Apple is the perfect example because it's not flashy from an object standpoint but no one can argue against how large and powerful that brand became over the years. Again, it's not how aggressive (or how cool) the name is that will sell your products, it's the products and services you offer that ultimately define you (and the brand). There are tons of stupid names out there, yet they are all in business and growing because people enjoy what they have to offer. Quit being little bitches about this shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read something like this to start people - http://www.zinzin.com/guides/zinzin-naming-guide.pdf

Then understand what's in a name.You can invent words, you can use words that evoke emotions, you can mix words (Power+Dollar for example for POLLAR as in (former darkcoin) is Money that gives the power back to you and away from institutions). etc.

I suggest that after all we'll become great copywriters and brand-makers here - so later we also can learn programming and could really help DRK in practice with the same enthusiasm. :wink:

I would say there are more and more people getting comfortable with using the name Dash if it's available. It may not be "perfect" nor does it have to be. It describes Darkcoin's current utility and offering perfectly in a simple, yet concise means of doing so and allows for creative word play in the process. It rolls off the tongue easily, it's neutral in numerous languages and it's a canvas to give meaning. You don't need something aggressive to get users. Apple is the perfect example because it's not flashy from an object standpoint but no one can argue against how large and powerful that brand became over the years. Again, it's not how aggressive (or how cool) the name is that will sell your products, it's the products and services you offer that ultimate define you (and the brand). There are tons of stupid names out there, yet they are all in business and growing because people enjoy what they have to offer. Quit being little bitches about this shit.
Very well said, with descriptive, constructive words. DASH is the way to go.

Seems like there's no point in really discussing this, for most of you its already Dash and you're not going to entertain anything else. I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

Seems like there's no point in really discussing this, for most of you its already Dash and you're not going to entertain anything else. I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

If we find that DASH will be nothing but an up-hill battle - we'll deal with it when the time comes - like always :-D

When someone pitches something better that is more appealing than Dash, it might be in the cards, but so far I have yet to see anything that reaches it (and yes, there is an obvious bias since I suggested it back in Nov/Dec). I think it says a lot about the name with Evan buying Dashcoin's brand and pursuing trademark identification. Obviously, it won't be named it if it doesn't get favorable treatment from a trademark standpoint.

Obviously, it won't be named it if it doesn't get favorable treatment from a trademark standpoint.
This is of course key. That's the one thing in all of this I fear the most, the trademark securing taking a long time. We need Evan to push a technical update soon to get the focus off of this debate, it will kill us if it lasts too long...

So, from your own post, "The name IS the brand, and sets the tone for everything your brand is about."

Darkcoin = Digital Cash = DASH.

That is the brand, and it sets the tone for everything our brand is about.

Exactly like this - Except with a name that doesn't suck.

I would say there are more and more people getting comfortable with using the name Dash if it's available. It may not be "perfect" nor does it have to be. It describes Darkcoin's current utility and offering perfectly in a simple, yet concise means of doing so and allows for creative word play in the process. It rolls off the tongue easily, it's neutral in numerous languages and it's a canvas to give meaning. You don't need something aggressive to get users. Apple is the perfect example because it's not flashy from an object standpoint but no one can argue against how large and powerful that brand became over the years. Again, it's not how aggressive (or how cool) the name is that will sell your products, it's the products and services you offer that ultimately define you (and the brand). There are tons of stupid names out there, yet they are all in business and growing because people enjoy what they have to offer. Quit being little bitches about this shit.

Take 30 years to grow Dash into something like Apple has become and the name doesn't matter that much (even though "Apple" is awesome and fits for them as well.) Or get a headstart and use something VERY good from the beginning. Not something 'Ok' and definitely not something which 50% of people seem to hate.

...yeah, like digital and cash: Dash.

Just because the resulting word is pronouncable doesn't make it good. Here I made my Pollar mashup (even using the D people like), it's more fun to say imo and sounds more powerful, yet it's not necessarily the right thing.

07aQf1y.png

This entire thread has been people fighting to use Dash and very little alternative suggestions because people are just throwing shit out there. It's time to consider alternatives and actually work on them. That goes for the Dash supporters as well. (Oh just noticed you "invented" Dash, of course you're going to defend your first idea and be happy to have named a huge project, your bias shows.)

Vocal Minority. They keep on repeating the name and talking about trademarks and how they'll face them instead of staying at step 1 - Actually deciding on a good name.

Hi e'erybody!

Obv, I'm new, so I don't expect anyone to listen to me (maybe you shouldn't). But I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents.

1. I don't care ultimately what the name is. I invested the time to research cryptocurrencies because of reasons beyond names. I chose to put what little available money I could afford to lose into DRK because I believe in its current functional advantages over other cryptos, from Instant X to anonymous aspects, and its future potential to be even better. Honestly the branding wasn't bad...but I get why you might want to appeal to a larger consumer base. You could name it shitonashinglecoin and I'd still own it. But others may not feel that way, obviously.

2. On that point, I'll just add BTC was known as the black market coin of choice too, until it wasn't. It didn't stop its widespread adoption (as wide as it is anyways).

3. Now that is out of the way...I would like to say Dash seems a bit to covert if it is meant to mean "digital cash". It seems more like it denotes speed, and most will miss the anonymity part the "cash" aspect entails. That IS a very important selling point for people in crypto, not just speed (although speed is freakin' awesome too). Dark was a word that immediately brought to mind the main functional purpose of the coin...and now it also is the reason you want to change it. I get that. But it was successful because it WAS obvious. Dash isn't obvious. It makes me think of Stacey Dash (who is hot, but dumb).

4. What about DigiCash, or BitBucks, or QikCash, or QuikCash, or QwikCash, or QwicBit, etc.? What about DigiQuik, or RapidCash? Or TurboPseudo or PseudoTurbo? Use any combination...I like the idea of saying in the name it is fast AND anonymous with more socially acceptable words than "dark" or "secret". I also like the idea of not calling it a "coin". Why?

5. Somewhere along the line "coin" became a thing to say. But it's crypto! There is no coin or paper. It can be called anything really. And in the minds of the consumer, coins are little, less important things compared to "cash" or "bucks". For that reason, I like using words that, in English at least (as that is all I speak), sound more important than "coin". It will sell better. If ultimately Bitcoin and Litecoin are the competition, then we want to out-brand BTC, as it is the big dog. If we're going to do it, do it right. So, since BTC is bit"coin", let's go one better and not be a "coin". Be Bucks or Cash, or just Bit...or none of them! Dash isn't obvious enough to do this. Although, like I said, I'm going to stay around whether you name it crapenstein or whatever.

So, in conclusion, and in summary, please consider using a very descriptive AND catchy name, which captures in a less socially-taboo way, the functionality of both speed AND anonymity, as both are highly important selling points to crypto users, and will be to the less sophisticated later consumers/users of crypto. Also consider not using "coin", as it will make us different and also make us psychologically better to the less sophisticated if we're "more than a coin", like a Cash, Buck, Bit, or something else (like some of my recommendations).

Anyways, sorry to be the new guy with a wall of text, but I felt compelled to join in. Keep up the great work. I really believe in this project and wish I had more money to dedicate to it as an investment. Alas, I'm a BrokeBit...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your opinion

Take 30 years to grow Dash into something like Apple has become and the name doesn't matter that much (even though "Apple" is awesome and fits for them as well.) Or get a headstart and use something VERY good from the beginning. Not something 'Ok' and definitely not something which 50% of people seem to hate.

50% of a sliver of the global population is a meaningless metric to go off of. Are you trying to tell me that the small niche of crypto users is representative of the potential population of users, especially when DRK only has a fraction of it? Further you say Apple is awesome and fits for them... how? What does an apple have to do with the products they make? At least with Dash, it represents what we are: Digital Cash and it's fast, like a 40 yard dash.

Just because the resulting word is pronouncable doesn't make it good. Here I made my Pollar mashup (even using the D people like), it's more fun to say imo and sounds more powerful, yet it's not necessarily the right thing.

Sounds stupid, again, my opinion, much like yours expressed to Dash. Why does the brand name have to sound powerful to get users? That's off putting.

07aQf1y.png

This entire thread has been people fighting to use Dash and very little alternative suggestions because people are just throwing shit out there. It's time to consider alternatives and actually work on them. That goes for the Dash supporters as well. (Oh just noticed you "invented" Dash, of course you're going to defend your first idea and be happy to have named a huge project, your bias shows.)

I may have suggested it but that does not mean I'm not open for other ideas. I also named the reference nodes over ubernodes and the Onyx release.

That's very productive.
Just because the resulting word is pronouncable doesn't make it good. Here I made my Pollar mashup (even using the D people like), it's more fun to say imo and sounds more powerful, yet it's not necessarily

Now, I'm going to be equally productive. Your suggestion sucks. See how that works?
I, among many others, had nothing to do with the naming idea DASH, and I still support it 100%.

When someone pitches something better that is more appealing than Dash, it might be in the cards, but so far I have yet to see anything that reaches it (and yes, there is an obvious bias since I suggested it back in Nov/Dec). I think it says a lot about the name with Evan buying Dashcoin's brand and pursuing trademark identification. Obviously, it won't be named it if it doesn't get favorable treatment from a trademark standpoint.

Using InstantX as the brand name for the payment solution and utilizing a different name for the actual coins was garnering some genuine interest a few pages back. Some veteran posters and lurkers showed interest and an even a new account was made in support of it. If this comes down to a community vote I hope branding DRK as InstantX is given fair consideration.

Back