• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

http://radixhealth.com
PO Box 669515
Marietta, GEORGIA 30066
UNITED STATES is ONE of the owners of the trademark "DASH" for: "Computer hardware and software, for use with medical patient monitoring equipment, for receiving, processing, transmitting and displaying data; Computer software for controlling and managing patient medical information; Computer software for physician practices and healthcare institutions to schedule patient encounters and clinical resources and instructional user guides sold as a unit; Medical software for scheduling patient encounters and clinical resources."

US Serial Number: 86545418

The rest could be seen / found by searching here: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4802:4qpmua.1.1

No one owns the term "Darkcoin" though :)

How is that trademark remotely close to a currency?

Can somebody explain me what happened such dramatic, so there are so much disputes, members leave project and tell, that Darkcoin has no future? Does really rebranding so much cares and ultimately resists? I'm almost year in DRK and I'm ordinary investor and I see only positive dynamic. I had displeasure about MNs work, but otherwise almost is perfect and currently MN payments too. From 1 July when I made my first investment Darkcoin became from raw product to strong with clear vision in future development and the last Evan message with futher policy inspires me. Maybe I don't understand something. What was exactly unacceptable by Vertoe and others which are dissatisfied? Maybe, that Evan didn't get 100% votes in foundation? Or what? Thanks.
Rebranding is super important. For the sake of not re-hashing the many reasons why it is imperative that we rebrand. Please read some very well written comments on this thread.

Can somebody explain me what happened such dramatic, so there are so much disputes, members leave project and tell, that Darkcoin has no future? Does really rebranding so much cares and ultimately resists? I'm almost year in DRK and I'm ordinary investor and I see only positive dynamic. I had displeasure about MNs work, but otherwise almost is perfect and currently MN payments too. From 1 July when I made my first investment Darkcoin became from raw product to strong with clear vision in future development and the last Evan message with futher policy inspires me. Maybe I don't understand something. What was exactly unacceptable by Vertoe and others which are dissatisfied? Maybe, that Evan didn't get 100% votes in foundation? Or what? Thanks.
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rebranding-followup.4266/page-25#post-46128

OUCH:

http://www.trademarkia.com/dash-86360059.html
transmission of digital music and entertainment-related audio, video, text and multimedia content; computer software for enabling transmission, storage, sharing, collection, editing, organizing and modifying audio, video, messages, images and other data for use in Internet radio, social networking, online chats and interactive gaming, for use in creating social networking databases an...

Again, one could argue that is specific to "entertainment-related" content, something that Darkcoin as it currently is, doesn't offer. A trademark lawyer would be more knowledgeable than any of us here.

I should have been more specific.. I was 'ouching' this part:
online chats and interactive gaming

as I can see our dash being used with online gaming... and also possible anonymous messaging

edit: 'our dash' see what i did there ;)

I should have been more specific.. I was 'ouching' this part:

as I can see our dash being used with online gaming... and also possible anonymous messaging
Well, it would have to be an integrated feature into the coin itself to have issues (to my knowledge). I don't personally see either being an embedded feature. If you're a business and accept Visa/Mastercard, are you infringing on their trademarks? No. Any third party is free to accept and integrate products and services into their businesses--whether they run into issues depends on what exactly they are doing.

I'm certain all this is being vetted and considered during the trademark process. I don't think Evan (and the Foundation) are intentionally setting themselves up for failure.

Well, it would have to be an integrated feature into the coin itself to have issues (to my knowledge). I don't personally see either being an embedded feature. I'm certain all this is being vetted and considered during the trademark process. I don't think Evan (and the Foundation) are intentionally setting themselves up for failure.

it is true the online gaming part would not be embeded... but messaging would have to be integrated..... I am glad I do not have to make these types of decisions.. such a complex web of intricacies

then call it dist... NOT coin... lets stop with the coin stuff!
The coin is definitely optional. I thought adding a "-coin" to the end would work well because the abbreviation would be DTC(similar to BTC) instead of just DST. I'm really thinking hard about this name. It has to be something that relates why darkcoin stands out from the other coins.

Darkcoin is swift, decentralized, anonymous, open-source.

DASH grew on me from the beginning....

Now DIST is starting to sound pretty good!!

DASH grew on me from the beginning....
Now DIST is starting to sound pretty good!!

DASH rolls off the tongue nicely.
DIST sounds like Linux Distro.
Either way I really like both names. It would be nice to have a something like a Google Sheets form to anonymously submit names which get added to a public poll (not saying majority is the best for deciding a brand, but could be like "Ask the Audience" from who wants to be a millionaire). Searching through threads to find brand names takes time.

I'd like to restate.

I think that there is a compelling reason to re-brand. DRK is nothing at all what it used to be. The name no longer reflects IX, MNs' potential, etc...

However, if a non-sucking new name can't be found, that itself is a MORE compelling reason NOT to re-brand...

DASH sucks. If that is the best we can come up with, leave it DarkCoin and have a re-informing campaign instead of a re-branding campaign...

Or go back to calling it XCoin like it was in the beginning...

Why not eCash? Did we not batman meme "sodl your ecash when you should have hodl your ecash" already? For, like, totally reasons and stuff... Duh, it works.

Unless you come up with a cool animation of a morphing logo for Dash... "e" and "digital" and stuff blobbing into "dash" somehow... Maybe all the words like "privacy" "instant" "digital cash" etc, all the phrases DRK now embodies, just kinda fading into/morphing into the DAHS logo... It's going to get lost in translation. The dumb-masses are already having a hard time with it. They can barely tie their own shoes, and that, only with help from Siri... Reaching the general public is harder than ever since Apple has made stupidity and cluelessness fashionable and cool. They leveraged stupid in a way that no one has ever done before, and it has affected two generations now. They're so badly detached from reality that it takes a sledge hammer. Simple and heavy-handed. Don't try to be too clever, it'll go right over their heads.

Hey, George?

Last edited by a moderator:
The better name - the more companies already using it :(.

The problem of DASH is: it is so good that too many firms already using it:
http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=dash
include http://www.rothschild.com/banking/asset_finance/
:(

So it may cause legal problems and limitations for us in a future. :(
If multiple people are already using it... And not tearing each other apart in litigation... Then it's already too ambiguous to attack.

I've had fun with people trying to patent my designs and stop me from making my own products. Once it's in the public domain, tho... The issue being, the people from the patent office are as dumb as the general public. They often think history began the day they were born. They never heard of it? Patent issued! Doesn't matter if the idea was around since 1850... Already in the public domain for over 150 years? Pshaw... Tell them that and they get mad that you made them look stupid. They'll grant Goodyear a patent on round and force Pirelli to make square tires... Dealing with these idiots is harder than any other part of the process. I know copyrights and trademarks are a different process, but even more ambiguous and even more stupid people who are stupider... Yes, for emphasis. It's a frothing ocean of petty dumbassery.

It's best to look at standing reality and deduce why/how it came to be. If many companies already have this word in/about their product, it's likely already too ambiguous to assault. Doesn't mean they won't try anyway... Look at the litigation and decisions that have already been made. Even when they know they have no grounds, they'll try to outspend you until you give up. If you can't afford to defend yourself, they win even when they're wrong. Look what happened to EasyBring/Nimber just recently...

I don't like DASH, but I think with the right animation it could work. Since it's already ambiguous, I think it's a lot less vulnerable to branding problems than you think.

just to toss this out there again.. it kind of describes both the "instant" or speed of transaction as well as tracking of the transaction

blur

complete rebrand? "blur payment network" "blur accepted here"

one that is similar to 'dash' in a sense,,

DEX (or simply DX)
a digital [ex]change

Back