• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What's in a name? ...or, is a rose by any othername worth the trouble?

I would like to write more about the Name Darkcoin in Chinese view.

Guys, maybe you don't know. The Name of Darkcoin (暗黑幣 or 暗黑币 in simplify chinese) actually cause some disadvantage about promoting the Coin in the Chinese market.

Here are some reason:

1. Another Cryptocurrency which called Blackcoin (黑幣 or 黑币 in simplify chinese) is just 1 charter different form our coin. And this may make people confuse.

2.If you guys play Diable 3 which is a very old game. The game is translate into (暗黑破壞神 or暗黑破坏神 in simplify chinese). And thus people also called the in game currency as暗黑币 or暗黑金币. You can just google "暗黑币买卖" or "暗黑币交易" (means buy and sell Darkcoin for us). See what you found. It is not difficult to see some site for trading the in game currency in your result list. If you search "暗黑币购买' (means buying Darkcoin for us). You will get the result of buying the in game currency of Diablo 3.

3. In chinese culture, 黑 always connect with something not very good. E.g. 黑店(Unscrupulous shop) , 黑帮 (Gangs), 黑货 (Smuggled goods), 黑钱 (income illegally obtained). etc. Of course there is some good words. But in general, is not a good word. (At lease in chinese culture).

I am glad that we have a chance to discuss the name now , not a few years later. Cos the recently rally of Darkcoin already draw some attention from Chinese people.

Here is some news http://www.btcfans.com/article-9209-1.html

Although I know this will create some trouble for a coin which is currently no.3 of the market value in the Cryptocurrency to rebrand. But anyway it is worth to discuss this issue.

Maybe you don't know that Bitcoin have 2 Chinese name. One is位元币 another one is比特币. But you usually hear people say the name 比特币 instead of another. You can compare the pronounce in google translate see which is better.

p.s. make sure we come up with a new Chinese name If we are intend to change the name. Cos I cannot think a new and good Chinese name for marketing right now. Maybe we need to hire some expert marketing people to do this job.

I would like to write more about the Name Darkcoin in Chinese view.

Guys, maybe you don't know. The Name of Darkcoin (暗黑幣 or 暗黑币 in simplify chinese) actually cause some disadvantage about promoting the Coin in the Chinese market.

Here are some reason:

1. Another Cryptocurrency which called Blackcoin (黑幣 or 黑币 in simplify chinese) is just 1 charter different form our coin. And this may make people confuse.

2.If you guys play Diable 3 which is a very old game. The game is translate into (暗黑破壞神 or暗黑破坏神 in simplify chinese). And thus people also called the in game currency as暗黑币 or暗黑金币. You can just google "暗黑币买卖" or "暗黑币交易" (means buy and sell Darkcoin for us). See what you found. It is not difficult to see some site for trading the in game currency in your result list. If you search "暗黑币购买' (means buying Darkcoin for us). You will get the result of buying the in game currency of Diablo 3.

3. In chinese culture, 黑 always connect with something not very good. E.g. 黑店(Unscrupulous shop) , 黑帮 (Gangs), 黑货 (Smuggled goods), 黑钱 (income illegally obtained). etc. Of course there is some good words. But in general, is not a good word. (At lease in chinese culture).

I am glad that we have a chance to discuss the name now , not a few years later. Cos the recently rally of Darkcoin already draw some attention from Chinese people.

Here is some news http://www.btcfans.com/article-9209-1.html

Although I know this will create some trouble for a coin which is currently no.3 of the market value in the Cryptocurrency to rebrand. But anyway it is worth to discuss this issue.

Maybe you don't know that Bitcoin have 2 Chinese name. One is位元币 another one is比特币. But you usually hear people say the name 比特币 instead of another. You can compare the pronounce in google translate see which is better.

p.s. make sure we come up with a new Chinese name If we are intend to change the name. Cos I cannot think a new and good Chinese name for marketing right now. Maybe we need to hire some expert marketing people to do this job.
What do you think is a good name for Darkcoin in Chinese? And when translated into English, what is it?

Also, do you really think even if the name "Darkcoin" is changed to something else better, the Chinese will accept it? It seems to me Chinese people are more loyal to their own people, hence, they're more loyal to Litecoin because the creator of Litecoin is a Chinese.

I can live with a rebranding to any name that starts with a “D” (even something as general as Dash will grow on me in time), but please, I implore you from a graphic designer’s standpoint as well as an investor: Keep the current Darkcoin logo!

The advantages of keeping the current D logo are immediately clear. For one, it will ease the transition. People who have not been paying attention can return and see “Dash” next to it and have a good idea of what is going on. There will be less confusion. Also, people who are new will not have the association with “Dark” to begin with so there is no downside. Equally important; It is a beautifully designed logo that invokes the technological, speedy, and forward thinking quality of what it signifies.

Contrast that with the puke-green Dash logo with the Morse Code. I know it is probably somebody’s darling, but the logo evokes the opposite of what I described above. For example: the first free associations I had when seeing it are: Typewriter, Bureaucracy, (Puke green?!), Antiquated. It looks like something I would see as a letterhead on soon-to-be-shredded files in a dingy accounting office. This isn’t something that is going to grab the interest of the public.

Morse Code is a bad, bad symbol for Dash. It is old, far from speedy, insecure, anachronistic tech for this day and age, and the bulk of the general population has no real experience with it save for one thing. SOS. (Which is fitting.) Also, the color is a really terrible choice, especially paired with the aforementioned.

Brands are very important, which is why I can see wanting to rebrand for widespread adoption. Please… Even if you discard the current (brilliant) logo for something else (which is completely unnecessary), please do not use the green logo!

as I said in the other thread,
Why not call it, DST-Coin
D
ecentralized Swift Trade - Coin
or
Decentralized Intelligent Swift Trade - Coin

What we want is to be next to BTC in the orderbooks, so have it be named DTC. for either DISTcoin or DSTCoin

DTC/BTC

BTC/DTC

What do you think is a good name for Darkcoin in Chinese? And when translated into English, what is it?

Also, do you really think even if the name "Darkcoin" is changed to something else better, the Chinese will accept it? It seems to me Chinese people are more loyal to their own people, hence, they're more loyal to Litecoin because the creator of Litecoin is a Chinese.

I can't think a better chinese name for Darkcoin.

About the Litecoin problem, I don't think the Chinese buying Litecoin because the creator is Chinese. They are buying Litecoin mostly because it RISE!
Remember what happen in 2013? It rise form USD$2 to USD$40+ . Another reason is the price is cheaper than Bitcoin and they can affort.
Darkcoin is already drawing some Chinese attention. I think re-brand will help to promote in Chinese community.

Back