• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

I don't think it's succinct or unique enough, and technically it applies to every crypto-currency in existence.

And it's more like a description, not a brand. Like how Ron Swanson named his company "Very Good Building and Construction Company".
Eltito, Glad to see you back here.
It is possible to have both a brand name and description at the same time. Brands like 'Lyft' and 'DocuSign' give a hint at what they do. IMO a name like 'DropCash' would work because it sounds like what you do with it. When you pay with DropCash, you're dropping virtual cash into the recipient's wallet or register.

I know that some effort and expense has already gone into the name DASH. Unfortunately this name feels like another interim name, and I fear that it's not bold enough to last very long before we end up back here trying to find a better name.

I've been into Darkcoin since almost the very beginning. I run about 1% of the masternode network, and I intend to continue retaining a 1% slice of the pie as the network continues to grow. I remember how long it took to get the Darkcoin D artwork together. It was very public, there were many entries, we took our time, and the community ultimately rallied behind the selection. The DRK artwork is actually so good that we're hesitant even to consider other names than those that start with the letter D so we can keep it (rightfully so IMO).

But something is missing this go-around. I feel like we are being rushed and pushed into using DASH. The community has not been given an opportunity to stew on the latest developments and work toward 'excellent' branding proposals. There has to be a more relaxed, more open way to select a new name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always loved the name Darkcoin. That being said, I'd like to add my vote to the rebranding effort. I just wish I could get these "Dash" images out of my head

full.png

Forget consultants in my opinion, waste of time and money. Thats a terrible idea in my opinion, except if you pay him only once the job is done and you are satisfied... lol we wish! First you get a consultant, then you get another consultant who knows better than the first consultant... Then a team of consultants convince you they can do even better for you etc...

Watch a couple episodes of "House of Lies" and you'll be convinced of r-ando's post.

DASH is a bit vanilla.

Eltito, Glad to see you back here.
It is possible to have both a brand name and description at the same time. Brands like 'Lyft' and 'DocuSign' give a hint at what they do. IMO a name like 'DropCash' works because it sounds like what you do with it. When you pay with DropCash, you're dropping virtual cash into the recipient's wallet or register.

I know that some effort and expense has already gone into the name DASH. Unfortunately this name feels like another interim name, and I fear that it's not bold enough to last very long before we end up back here trying to find a better name.

I've been into Darkcoin since almost the very beginning. I run about 1% of the masternode network, and I intend to continue retaining a 1% slice of the pie as the network continues to grow. I remember how long it took to get the Darkcoin D artwork together. It was very public, there were many entries, we took our time, and the community ultimately rallied behind the selection. The DRK artwork is actually so good that we're hesitant even to consider other names than those that start with the letter D so we can keep it (rightfully so IMO).

But something is missing this go-around. I feel like we are being rushed and pushed into using DASH. There has to be a more open way to select a new name. And we need to figure out how to get vertoe back.

So, something that I think is missing from this discussion is the importance of InstantX not just to Darkcoin, but to crypto in general. It is at least as important to crypto as anonymity is - actually, probably even moreso in terms of mainstreaming the technology. The "Digital Cash" or "Dark Cash" aspect of the name has been covered, but Dash is also a double entendre, referring to the speed of an InstantX transaction. So I respectfully disagree with the sentiment that the name is not descriptive. I actually think the opposite is the case.

It's not very often that you come across a name for a product that works as well as Dash does for Darkcoin. It's easy to say, easy to remember, descriptive, relatively innocuous, and it has multiple layers of relevance to what the product actually does. The graphic design work that we spent so much time on doesn't have to change - we can keep our "D" logo and branding.

I fear that it's not bold enough to last very long before we end up back here trying to find a better name.
I think you can say that of several major product names. Mega, Uber, Nest, Yelp - even something like Apple Pay, iPhone or iPad aren't particularly exciting, but they work well because the underlying technology speaks for itself. There's a lot to a name, yes, but not so much as I think some people fear.

Excuse me, let me repeat:

When you are going to create successful project - you must forget what you like or dislike - you have to be oriented to what like or dislike majority of your potential clients. This coin is created not for current users (developers, investors, traders, ...) - but for mass sector (people who still even don’t know about DRK).

We need to trust people like Minotaur, Fernando, tungfa, TaoofSatoshi, ... because they are working in the field and have practical understanding what potential users and partners want. (And they are even more competent in this question than professional marketing and branding agencies with just theoretical knowledge in crypto).

If you don’t trust them and it is not obvious for you that «some-new-name» is better than "darkcoin" - everybody can make his own research regarding this (find new people and try to "sell" them same project with different names and decide the most effective name).
You're talking about brand recognition, where that can kill a brand... or save it. But those fears are for multi-billion markets that usually have a recognisable product to be sold to the masses, hence the brand recognition.

If we changed tomorrow, everyone in the entire crypto world would know "instantly" and instantly recognize the change ... maybe a few blogs and websites might not pick it up immediately, but with our excellent PR group in the making, that info would quickly spread like wild fire.

We have been consolidated for 6 months with a slow steady growth, mainly due to people munching up as much as they can for masternodes. If anything, the rebrand will do for us what the rebrand of DarkMarket to OpenBazaar did a world of good. Unfortunately, they dont have a great dev team and dev is slow, but steady.

Here we have a full time dedicated team, entirely different, and zero re-coding needed. Darkmarket was a hackathon baby, and OpenBazaar is still way too beta even for real life network experimental exchanges. Apparently, hopefully, the new beta 4 soon will be a leap forward. But they dont have much talent with them.

Thinking that marketing rules do not apply to criptomonedas in my opinion is a bit naive.
Each change made to a brand is decided by a group of "experts" who are convinced that this will trigger the growth of the brand. Darkcoin is a particular Cryptocurrency in the user's mind, to rename you change the user's relationship with it.
For us rebranding is as simple as a flip of a switch. And a vast and coordinated (with videoooo!! yey!!) PR campaign can do more for dark/dash/whatever, than the achievement of anonymity and no major causal-effect increase of price... why?

Because of adoption.
You're talking about brand recognition, where that can kill a brand... or save it. But those fears are for multi-billion markets that usually have a recognisable product to be sold to the masses, hence the brand recognition.

If we changed tomorrow, everyone in the entire crypto world would know "instantly" and instantly recognize the change ... maybe a few blogs and websites might not pick it up immediately, but with our excellent PR group in the making, that info would quickly spread like wild fire.

We have been consolidated for 6 months with a slow steady growth, mainly due to people munching up as much as they can for masternodes. If anything, the rebrand will do for us what the rebrand of DarkMarket to OpenBazaar did a world of good. Unfortunately, they dont have a great dev team and dev is slow, but steady.

Here we have a full time dedicated team, entirely different, and zero re-coding needed. Darkmarket was a hackathon baby, and OpenBazaar is still way too beta even for real life network experimental exchanges. Apparently, hopefully, the new beta 4 soon will be a leap forward. But they dont have much talent with them.

For us rebranding is as simple as a flip of a switch. And a vast and coordinated (with videoooo!! yey!!) PR campaign can do more for dark/dash/whatever, than the achievement of anonymity and no major causal-effect increase of price... why?

Because of adoption.

I can only concur with vertoe yidakee and probably many others that didn't catch my eye in the long thread.

Re-branding the entire name that this project represents has some very bad aftertaste for me, not to forget keeping the entire community in the dark about this. There was already problems with proprietary code in the first place and this does not strengthen the foothold DRK has for me when it comes to transparency and openness, ironically!

I do feel glad after all now not having bought into a MN just before such shocking news, I hope it will sort itself in the end we can all find a place we can call "home" :D

My 2 NXT (who would have thought that DRK could ever fail to maintain it's position in my heart, I am truly stunned by these news and saddened truly to the core :(

But something is missing this go-around. I feel like we are being rushed and pushed into using DASH. The community has not been given an opportunity to stew on the latest developments and work toward 'excellent' branding proposals. There has to be a more relaxed, more open way to select a new name.

I agree, we are being pushed into this, it feels underhand somehow. The market has spoken and it certainly does not like this. Darkcoin is what it is, this will weaken the coin.

I'm happy I didn't incorporate my Charity under the name Darkcoin in view of all this... hahaha

Done your dash
Posted by Graham Cambray on March 09, 2009 at 02:31
The origin of the phrase "you've done your dash" (used in Australia frequently), meaning you've ruined your chance or opportunity?
: --------
: The phrase may have shifted its meaning over the years. Today, it generally means what you say - for example, at http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/australia/strine/d-3.php it has: "done (one's) dash - to have lost (one's) chance or opportunity." But the earliest example I can find is in a volume of earthy poems, heavy on the Aussie slang: The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke / Dennis, C. J. (Clarence James). The foreword is dated 1st September, 1915. He uses the phrase several times, but the one where the meaning is most clear is:
: "I'm crook; me name is Mud; I've done me dash;
: Me flamin' spirit's got the flamin' 'ump!". And, helpfully, he gives a sort of glossary, which includes:
: "Dash, to do-one's -- To reach one's Waterloo."
: So the original meaning seems to give up, or be beaten.
: Oddly, that sense still seems to survive in Oz today. If, instead of Googling for "He's done his dash" or "You've done your dash" - where the meaning is that of lost opportunities - you search for "I've done my dash", you get a subtly different meaning - more "I've made all the effort I want to make" or "I've given up trying".
: This is now just surmise, but maybe originally "dash" in the sense of strenuous progress rather than speed? "Done his dash" = "Made his effort" ???
: So I can't claim to have really pinned the origins of this phrase, but at least I've got it back to around 1915, and touched on it's meaning then. (GC)
Sorry - forgot to give a link to the 1915 poems - http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/etext03/tsblk10.htm. Also I should have written "the original meaning seems to be to give up, or be beaten". (GC)

So as an Australian, I'm no to DASH as I haven't given up!

I agree, we are being pushed into this, it feels underhand somehow. The market has spoken and it certainly does not like this. Darkcoin is what it is, this will weaken the coin.
The market has not yet spoken. Otoh is levitating the price. Once Otoh's walls get eaten, there's no telling how far this coin will drop. We're in the middle of an identity crisis, where the community is faced with only one choice. DASH. Where are the other candidates? Oh, we don't have any because big money has already been spent on securing DASH and taking control of DashCoin.
When there is no hope to provide any meaningful feedback, as in a vote of some kind to give us a perceived measure of influence on the final candidate, the community should be expected to revolt.

I can accept that a name change is needed. Real merchants here on the forum are having a tough time getting people interested in a currency with a dodgy name. I just think we need to have more candidates and a way to vote on them. Recall that the current DRK artwork was the result of at least 10 submissions.

The market has spoken and it certainly does not like this. Darkcoin is what it is, this will weaken the coin.

I do not agree. The current dump is done not by market, but by some of the old DRK-owners. This is normal.

The market will vote after we will offer him something (at least a new name :tongue:) - and after feeling the certainty (about future dumps, plans, developers, ...). I feel it may take several weeks.

jwinterm
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

useron.gif

Activity: 420

Re: [DSH] Dashcoin (Cryptonote, automated source)

Today at 11:40:43 AM
Maybe if darkcoin actually goes through with the name change to dash, dashcoin will get some residual exposure...

darlidada
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

useroff.gif

Activity: 364

Today at 04:18:52 PM
apparently dashcoin was bought by evan

dewdeded
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

useron.gif

Activity: 546

Monero Evangelist

Ignore

Today at 06:20:58 PM
Maybe Evan want to move to ring singatures.
wink.gif

Lemme take this voting idea a step further. Put together some proposed brand names. Use an informal voting process right here to get 10 candidates down to 3 serious runners. Use the DRK artwork theme to show what the 3 candidate names would look like (DASH already has a mockup). Then let each masternode take a vote. A masternode can send 1 DRK to one of 3 addresses each representing a candidate. Any transaction noise at the receiving addresses can be filtered by seeing if the originating 1000 DRK address was on the masternode list at the time of the vote. Multiple votes, or votes for multiple candidates from the same masternode are filtered away to ensure 1 masternode, 1 vote. There may need to be some special filtering rules for start-many MNs, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.

So the first vote allows the community at large to cull the list. The second vote allows the masternode holders to cast the final votes.

Give the community the opportunity to provide real feedback, and I think we'll end up with a much happier result.

...and thats the bad news.
evans rebranding post was to unexpected and unclear to go the right way.
some of my chats today were the opinion that XMR only go up because drk messed up with this announcement.

but we have to deal with it.
we need a decision in a crypto-like short time frame.

I liked DARK much, but I understand every opinion against the name. it sounds shady to new people.
just say "darkcoin" once with a voice like darth vader and you know what i mean. :wink:

to be honest re-branding is a shitty thing and pretty tought.
evan, dev's and the drk foundation - if you really like to go this way you need to force your new brand in every way you could think of. it will cost money and it will be need some time to go through.

azakI5q.png

"D" is here to stay... choose wise...

this was the reason my suggestion stayed pretty close:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rebranding-followup.4266/page-4#post-45541

btw. in my opinion r-ando is completly right about (most) consultants.

Lemme take this voting idea a step further. Put together some proposed brand names. Use an informal voting process right here to get 10 candidates down to 3 serious runners. Use the DRK artwork theme to show what the 3 candidate names would look like (DASH already has a mockup). Then let each masternode take a vote. A masternode can send 1 DRK to one of 3 addresses each representing a candidate. Any transaction noise at the receiving addresses can be filtered by seeing if the originating 1000 DRK address was on the masternode list at the time of the vote. Multiple votes, or votes for multiple candidates from the same masternode are filtered away to ensure 1 masternode, 1 vote. There may need to be some special filtering rules for start-many MNs, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.

So the first vote allows the community at large to cull the list. The second vote allows the masternode holders to cast the final votes.

Give the community the opportunity to provide real feedback, and I think we'll end up with a much happier result.
Yes, this is an excellent idea,we have been cut out of the loop, there over 2300 masternode holders, what say have we ever had about this ??
1 active masternode = 1 vote .
Only drawback for me, is I only have 1 masternode. :rolleyes:

Edit: and if it is going to be 1 drk per masternode voting , let the total go into a giant pot towards future promotions. Hey wait, this could be a good way to raise funds ;)

D-COIN: Let in the D, you know you want it.

Why don't we just make name changes a yearly celebration? XCoin, Darkcoin, Dash... y'know, 'cause investors and users just love being kept guessing ;)

Back