• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Please add a walletunlock function for a certain amount of time.

Kong

Hi, i really want the walletunlock function back. When playing at directbet.eu, it sucks a lot that you have to put in the password for every single bet. It's not userfriendly. Give the people the choice how to use their wallet.

Hi, i really want the walletunlock function back. When playing at directbet.eu, it sucks a lot that you have to put in the password for every single bet. It's not userfriendly. Give the people the choice how to use their wallet.
It never left.... do:

walletpassphrase YOUR_PASSPHRASE #_of_seconds_unlocked

10 minutes = 600 seconds

You could arbitrarily put 99999 and then when you are done, just issue walletlock.

I hope in the future we have the feature "Remove Password" for the wallets.
Not sure why but send your coins to a fresh wallet that isn't encrypted, or import your privkey from the address if you are partial to it to a non-encrypted wallet.

Not sure why but send your coins to a fresh wallet that isn't encrypted, or import your privkey from the address if you are partial to it to a non-encrypted wallet.
Yes we can do that, but I like this "Remove Password" in the MultiBit wallet, so handy, you don't have to bother to send your coins to another wallet. Maybe we'll have MultiDark wallet with this feature in the future... :smile:

Yes we can do that, but I like this "Remove Password" in the MultiBit wallet, so handy, you don't have to bother to send your coins to another wallet. Maybe we'll have MultiDark wallet with this feature in the future... :smile:
Again I ask the purpose for it. Why would you want to go from a secure form of protection to whatever goes from lack thereof.

Again I ask the purpose for it. Why would you want to go from a secure form of protection to whatever goes from lack thereof.
So Kong doesn't have to keep unlocking his wallet until he's done with the betting...And then he can put back in his passphrase... :grin:
I just think it's cool to have more options... :)

So Kong doesn't have to keep unlocking his wallet until he's done with the betting...And then he can put back in his passphrase... :grin:
I just think it's cool to have more options... :)
If you're doing a two-step process as is, then it's no different in time length to do walletpassphrase and then the additional walletlock if you chose an absurd unlock time.

If you're doing a two-step process as is, then it's no different in time length to do walletpassphrase and then the additional walletlock if you chose an absurd unlock time.
Absolutely agree. Unlock the wallet with the command for a certain amount of time like an hour or so and let it lock after this. People will forget to lock it which is asking for trouble.

I know, but then you don't have to go to the console. Here's what it looks like on MultiBit:

upload_2014-12-11_1-4-18.png

I wouldn't forget to put my pw back. :smile:

Absolutely agree. Unlock the wallet with the command for a certain amount of time like an hour or so and let it lock after this. People will forget to lock it which is asking for trouble.
You know if your computer is infected, your coins will be stolen the moment you unlock your wallet.

I know, but then you don't have to go to the console. Here's what it looks like on MultiBit:

View attachment 702

I wouldn't forget to put my pw back. :smile:
I haven't used multibit so maybe I'm not understanding... when you remove password it deletes it and you need a new one (and repeat it) if you add it again? If it is like that I see two additional problems: forgetting the password or making a mistake when setting it.

I haven't used multibit so maybe I'm not understanding... when you remove password it deletes it and you need a new one (and repeat it) if you add it again? If it is like that I see two additional problems: forgetting the password or making a mistake when setting it.
When you click on "Remove Password" from the File drop down menu or the tab on the right, the screen changes to let you remove your password, and yes it deletes your password from the wallet. But when you want to put your password back, just click on "Add Password" and you can put back the same pw or a new one if you want. When you add your pw back, it requires you to type it twice. If someone forgets their pw, i'm not sure either our darkcoin wallet or multibit wallet can help them.

When you click on "Remove Password" from the File drop down menu or the tab on the right, the screen changes to let you remove your password, and yes it deletes your password from the wallet. But when you want to put your password back, just click on "Add Password" and you can put back the same pw or a new one if you want. When you add your pw back, it requires you to type it twice. If someone forgets their pw, i'm not sure either our darkcoin wallet or multibit wallet can help them.
But I guess the real question is, why would anyone want to go from a password-protected wallet to a non password-protected wallet?

But I guess the real question is, why would anyone want to go from a password-protected wallet to a non password-protected wallet?
Because some people don't want to be bothered with typing in seconds after the passphrase? Or they need the wallet to be unlocked at the moment and not sure how long they need it unlocked? I don't know. It's just an option that MultiBit has and I like it... :grin:
And it doesn't take any time to put back the password!

Nope, nobody can help with a forgotten password, but if you keep changing it the risk of forgetting is much higher.

Anyway, I agree with oblox, it doesn't make any sense to have a wallet without password. I understand the use case explained, but I still prefer to type the password a thousand times.

Nope, nobody can help with a forgotten password, but if you keep changing it the risk of forgetting is much higher.

Anyway, I agree with oblox, it doesn't make any sense to have a wallet without password. I understand the use case explained, but I still prefer to type the password a thousand times.
Fernando, the same thing with MultiBit, you have to type the password a thousand times too, if you want to lock your wallet again. It just seems more convenient with Multibit to me. I remember looking for this feature in the darkcoin wallet and I asked flare about it.. the answer was "No", i was kinda disappointed .. lol

Fernando, the same thing with MultiBit, you have to type the password a thousand times too, if you want to lock your wallet again. It just seems more convenient with Multibit to me. I remember looking for this feature in the darkcoin wallet and I asked flare about it.. the answer was "No", i was kinda disappointed .. lol
I get that, but you also have to understand that you are not the average user. You are probably super diligent in protecting it, never forget and understand the risk; but most people are not like that, so we must try to create products that don't leave so much room for error. If you want that you have the walletpassphrase command with a long time unlock, but you have to go to a certain lengh to use it. Lost funds harm us all, not only the one who lost them.

Because some people don't want to be bothered with typing in seconds after the passphrase? Or they need the wallet to be unlocked at the moment and not sure how long they need it unlocked? I don't know. It's just an option that MultiBit has and I like it... :grin:
And it doesn't take any time to put back the password!
So then they wouldn't encrypt their wallet from the start with a password (which again, is stupid). This is just poor logic for a feature that isn't needed (seriously, can't be bothered to type in seconds after a passphrase, really?). If they aren't sure how long, they issue the walletpassphrase for some large number and then when they are done, they issue walletlock.

So then they wouldn't encrypt their wallet from the start with a password (which again, is stupid). This is just poor logic for a feature that isn't needed (seriously, can't be bothered to type in seconds after a passphrase, really?). If they aren't sure how long, they issue the walletpassphrase for some large number and then when they are done, they issue walletlock.
What do you mean they wouldn't encrypt the wallet from the start? Every wallet isn't encrypted from the start, this is just another option for users to want to encrypt their wallet or not, without having to send their coins to a new wallet in order to have an unencrypted wallet, which i'm not sure which one is more stupid if you want to call it "stupid" rather than a choice! :tongue:

Also multibit has multiple wallets in one client, how can this be stupid??? if you don't want to pick that option, ok send your coins to another wallet in the same client.... :tongue:

Back