• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DARKCOIL-0.9.18.13: Lightweight Darkcoin Wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertoe

Three of Nine
jRrZDKM.png

Good morning,

I've created a darkcoin wallet (Qt and Daemon) based on the old Darkcoin core wallet v0.9.13.x and aligned it back with the current onyx v2 development and thus created a fully working v0.9.18.x client which allows sending, storing and recieving coins like a basic bitcoin/litecoin core v0.8.x wallet used to do.

This is intended to be an alternative wallet to the official core wallet for users who just wish to recieve, store and send the coins.

https://github.com/vertoe/darkcoil

Please note:
  • This wallet is not suitable for masternodes (wont work).
  • This wallet is not suitable for pool operators (blocks will orphan).
  • This wallet is not able to anonymize your funds (no darksend available).
  • This wallet is an inofficial client and only minimally maintained. I'm not adding any features, just keeping it compatible with the network and fixing possible bugs.
  • Only use this if you understand the points above. Please report back any issues.
  • That said this wallet scores in stability and performance because it's so lightweight.

About the version numbers:

• v0.9.17.x aligns with darkcoin-0.10.17.x (outdated)
  • v0.9.18.x aligns with darkcoin-0.11.0.x (current)
  • Anyways, each version is always compatible with the darkcoin network.

Currently the following services are running a darkcoild backend:

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers
vertoe

HzENAMj.png

Code:
{
"version" : 91813,
"protocolversion" : 70052,
"walletversion" : 60000,
"balance" : 9079.31861111,
"blocks" : 66640,
"timeoffset" : 0,
"connections" : 8,
"proxy" : "",
"difficulty" : 0.08343518,
"testnet" : true,
"keypoololdest" : 1409784004,
"keypoolsize" : 101,
"paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
"mininput" : 0.00001000,
"errors" : ""
}

Code:
 $ ./darkcoil-qt_test
********* Start testing of URITests *********
Config: Using QTest library 4.8.6, Qt 4.8.6
PASS   : URITests::initTestCase()
PASS   : URITests::uriTests()
PASS   : URITests::cleanupTestCase()
Totals: 3 passed, 0 failed, 0 skipped
********* Finished testing of URITests *********
$ ./src/test_darkcoil
Running 94 test cases...

*** No errors detected

Binaries coming soon(tm)...

5z2pdym.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! I might be able to recollect my dust with this.
Does it uses the same folder by default than darkcoind/qt?

It's based on Darkcoin 0.9.x, so it uses the same default folder. Use datadir in case you want it different :)

Hmm will you compile it for Windows? :D

By the way, how do you crosscompile to Windows from the builder? Is it an easy setup?
The only crosscompile I ever attempted was Delphi under Debian and I used Wine (so not really crosscompiling).

Hmm will you compile it for Windows? :D

By the way, how do you crosscompile to Windows from the builder? Is it an easy setup?
The only crosscompile I ever attempted was Delphi under Debian and I used Wine (so not really crosscompiling).
Yeah, will do - vertoe asked me to set it up already, will put it into Bamboo

As for the crosscompiling: Actually it is gitian, running a Ubuntu with mingw32 compiler with win32 target enabled.

Btw: Evan and me are still searching for community members, who will do the gitian builds independently from us, confirming the build results are identical and not tampered by [fill in your favorite bad guy]. If you like to support us here it would be great - and i can get you started with doing cross platform builds as well ;)

Yes this is in conflict with the core wallet, uses by default same ports and same wallet/config. But it should be compatible. change ports and datadir if you want to run it along with the official client.

Btw: Evan and me are still searching for community members, who will do the gitian builds independently from us, confirming the build results are identical and not tampered by [fill in your favorite bad guy]. If you like to support us here it would be great - and i can get you started with doing cross platform builds as well ;)
I would love to learn how gitian builds work.

Hi vertoe,

Looks good! what is the performance with "dust" payment?

Currently my qt is very slow and screen is lagging. I have few addressees that receive payments from p2pools etc.

Hi vertoe,

Looks good! what is the performance with "dust" payment?

Currently my qt is very slow and screen is lagging. I have few addressees that receive payments from p2pools etc.
Well, give it a try :)

I never experienced any issues with dust yet. I appreciate any feedback.

It's always recommended to have backups or use fresh wallets when switching from official wallet.

Good job, is this basically a hobby project? What are the advantages to this wallet in reality?
Well there are no advantages of this wallet over the official one. But it's an interesting question where I wish to add some more thoughts.

Darkcoin differs not really from Bitcoin on a protocol level except for the x11 algorithm and dgw difficulty adjustment. Everything else like Denominations, Masternodes and Darksend is realized using the official core wallet. The advantage (if you want so) of DARKCOIL is that it does nothing else than reading the blockchain and maybe generating transactions. There are many usecases where you simply want this and nothing else.

A good and healthy coin should offer a lot of software packages which allow people to work with Darkcoin and the Darkcoin protocol and interact with the blockchain independently from centralized or so called official reference implementations. Currently only the Android wallet is the only other working and fully supported implementation for Darkcoin. This is basically the reason why I forked off the old 0.9.x tree and made it compatible with the current network (protocol version, masternode payments, etc.). Now we have three different wallets :)

The other reason is I wish to understand the core wallet code a bit better and to improve my c++/qt skills a bit. Any feedback appreciated. This is no big project though (and not intended to be!), just bumping the version numbers and keeping the basic code aligned with the main development by the Darkcoin core team.

Flare offered to provide binaries at some point. What a generous offer :)

That sounds great then! When we have a Darkcoin Electrum Wallet we'll have 4 different software wallets for people to chose from which only helps legitimize DRK. Great job once again, hope you learn some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back