• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Should Platform run on all nodes or should Platform run only on High Performance nodes ?

centralization of voting, the hijacking of the treasury

Can you elaborate how this is happening? Why does it matter if someone who has 4K Dash votes with 1 vote worth 4 = 1x4 points, or 4 votes worth 4 = 4x1 point?
I also don't see how this would be hijacking the treasury.

If Proof of Service is robust and a node
Proof of Service is not robust right now. I went over the fact that getting a robust proof of service for platform is a monumental task. I think we have a 30+ page document on how to build it. But as CTO I decided against building it for our MVP, basically because we can't delay Platform release another year.

Seven years in and a major design decision is thrust upon us imminently.
I have been CTO for about 1 year now. The decision to go with Tendermint based consensus was not one I made, actually I had a different approach but in the end I do like though where we are now and there is no way to sure my other solution would have been better or even would have worked, it was definitely more ambitious.

Back in the day of Evan, he seldom asked the network what they preferred. Andy and Bob never did. I do feel like there are two things both being said: one is that we should wait until we have more data, and the other is why did we wait so long? Which makes me think that this is really the right time. We are very close to feature freeze of the MVP and testing. Both GroveDB and Tenderdash teams should completely finish their MVP tasks this month, at which time they can be put to other teams to speed things up.

You are right about the fact that people might be unnerved that I'm proposing things that might change things up. But this was always going to happen as Platform is bringing about a lot of changes. Dash used to be the project of risk taking and bold calculated moves, then there was a slump, this last year however... has been pretty intense. And I feel like it's going to be a very exciting next year.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate how this is happening? Why does it matter if someone who has 4K Dash votes with 1 vote worth 4 = 1x4 points, or 4 votes worth 4 = 4x1 point?
I also don't see how this would be hijacking the treasury.

Just to be sure, I think you are saying someone who owns four masternodes is no different to them owning one HPMN.

I have more than one node and I intentionally use different providers in different geographic and political jurisdictions. But I recognize others are perhaps more lazy and go with the same provider or location. But this is still not the problem.

The real problem is, you seem to hold on to a belief that collateral is preventing the option of a Sybil attack. That the accumulation of dash to attain 1K / 4K / 10K would send the price exponentially high. But for the last two years, the facts tell a different story. The overall masternode count has fallen while some node whales accumulated tens or hundreds of nodes, which comes with voting power (the inactivity of this power is of no consequence). And yet the dollar price for dash is currently less than $41. In the early years the collateral provided good defense against Sybil attacks, but I think the past two years has shows this is no longer the case.

So when you say the Proof of Service for Platform is not robust enough, that to me a major red flag. If we had a robust Proof of Service for both masternodes and HPMNs, then surely the collateral amount is of less importance. If the network has come to consensus that Node A is X and Y distance from Nodes B and C (fingerprinting latency and route etc), and nodes are retaining data and responding correctly to queries, then what else is there? Under such scenario, we could safely reduce basic collateral to, say, 100 dash. The same applies to any node type, including HPMNs, which would perhaps have a tighter criteria. I'm not saying it's easy to achieve but this is the crux of our current problem and more so if we allow HPMNs to slowly gentrify the network, where orange is the new black.

Knipsel.JPG

1665637280475.png

istockphoto-485865905-170667a.jpg

Me starting to feel like this picture, waiting on a reply from Quantum Explorer on the proposed 1K Masternode solution, that i reminded him two times already about. Maybe three times is a charm....

Link : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...gh-performance-nodes.53374/page-6#post-232345 (link to seanjae's orginal post is also in that link)

Last edited:
View attachment 11445

Me starting to feel like this picture, waiting on a reply from QuantumExplorer on the proposed 1K Masternode solution, that i reminded him two times already about. Maybe three times is a charm....

Link : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...gh-performance-nodes.53374/page-6#post-232345 (link to seanjae's orginal post is also in that link)
Why do you rely on QuantumExplorer's answer?
Who is QuantumExplorer and why his answer matters more than yours?
Why dont you add a forum poll asking the dashtalk members about your 1K Masternode solutuion?
Why dont you add a relevant governance question into the budget?

istockphoto-485865905-170667a-jpg.11445

Me starting to feel like this picture, waiting for the Dash community members to decide by using polls, instead of begging individuals for decisions.

Last edited:
Why do you rely on QuantumExplorer's answer?
Who is QuantumExplorer and why his answer matters?
Why dont you add a forum poll for that?
Why dont you add a governance question?

Because i am asking CTO of DCG if this solution is technically workable, and if it indeed solves the security risk with Platform on all nodes.
Are you seriously asking me who Quantum Explorer is and why his answer matters?

Knipsel.JPG

Sam / Quantum Explorer is the one that is intiating this all. He is the one thats preparing all the DCG decision proposals with regards to this topic.
No point in doing a forum poll or add a governance question, untill i can get a response from a developer (or better yet from the CTO of DCG)
on the technical merits of this solution.

Last edited:
Because i am asking CTO of DCG if this solution is technically workable, and if it indeed solves the security risk with Platform on all nodes.
Are you seriously asking me who Quantum Explorer is and why his answer matters?

View attachment 11447
Sam / Quantum Explorer is the one that is intiating this all. He is the one thats preparing all the DCG decision proposals with regards to this topic.

I know who QuantumExplorer is.
The fact that someone hired him as the Dash CTO (who did that?) says nothing to me, as long as nobody asked me whether I agree or not about it.
I am sure that among the DashCommunity members, there are individuals that fit better in CTO's role than QuantumExplorer does.
And I am more than sure that the collective wisdom of the DashCommunity members overcomes the wisdom of the best CTO we could ever had.

Thats why, add a poll , add a governance question.

No point in doing a forum poll or add a governance question, untill i can get a response from a developer (or better yet from the CTO of DCG)
on the technical merits of this solution.

Thats the root of your falacy. You dont have to wait for technical merits and disadvantages. You are asking a GOVERNANCE QUESTION.
If your question passes and a bounty is allocated for the implementation of it, let the developers and the designers to discover the technical solution, the merits and the disadvantages.

Last edited:
Thats the root of your falacy. You dont have to wait for technical merits and disadvantages. You are asking a GOVERNANCE QUESTION.

No, i am still trying to understand for myself if this 1K masternode solution is better then the Platform on all nodes solution or not.
Also with regards to DDoS attack vulnerability with these solutions (1K masternode / 4K HPM / 10K HPM), due to smaller masternode groups forming instead of having one large masternode group.

Last edited:
The reason why I haven't answered on the 1K solution proposed is that I don't just answer something quickly, it will take me hours to analyze this solution to be able to a good answer. When I say I don't have time... I think people are not realizing that all my days are just sleep/work/sleep/work. I had done something preliminary a while back and quickly discarded it. I'll have someone on our research team do this today, and I'll make sure you have your answers in the next 24 hours.

The real problem is, you seem to hold on to a belief that collateral is preventing the option of a Sybil attack. That the accumulation of dash to attain 1K / 4K / 10K would send the price exponentially high. But for the last two years, the facts tell a different story. The overall masternode count has fallen while some node whales accumulated tens or hundreds of nodes, which comes with voting power (the inactivity of this power is of no consequence). And yet the dollar price for dash is currently less than $41. In the early years the collateral provided good defense against Sybil attacks, but I think the past two years has shows this is no longer the case.

I do not think I talked about the price... Analyses shows that we currently have the ability on our network for much more than the required 450 4K nodes. (450 is around where the equilibrium with the 1k nodes hits). To be clear I am not proposing this 4K solution because I believe it will raise the price of Dash directly. I am doing it because I believe it's a very good technical solution to a lot of the problems we are facing otherwise.

The sybil resistance of the system to the chain halt attack does not change all that much (maybe something like 64M$ to 42M$ - in a vacuum - would be much more expensive than this in open markets). But the upside of the system is that breaking Platform can never break stop Core features (IS/CL).

You did not explain how this would lead to a hijacking of the treasury?

Okay, @qwizzie I was able to quickly get some numbers for the 1K solution. It's 30 times less secure than the 4k Solution, while bringing down average rewards from 7% (4k Solution) to around 6.6% (because of the additional burden of higher hardware costs for the network on so many nodes - even though those nodes are 2 times less performant than what I put in the 4k Solution). Compared to all nodes running platform it's 2 times cheaper in fees for our users, but still very high compared to 4k solution. So all in all seems like there are no upsides.

Okay, @qwizzie I was able to quickly get some numbers for the 1K solution. It's 30 times less secure than the 4k Solution, while bringing down average rewards from 7% (4k Solution) to around 6.6% (because of the additional burden of higher hardware costs for the network on so many nodes - even though those nodes are 2 times less performant than what I put in the 4k Solution). Compared to all nodes running platform it's 2 times cheaper in fees for our users, but still very high compared to 4k solution. So all in all seems like there are no upsides.

1K Masternode solution 2x cheaper in fees then Platform on all nodes .. thats a pretty good deal if you ask me. That brings the Platform Storage fees to

7 cents for Base Identity
29 cents for setting up Identity + DPNS + DashPay
36 dollar for 1MB

Link : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...gh-performance-nodes.53374/page-3#post-232207

Correct ?

What about security risk ? (Platform bug taking out all masternodes) : does the 1K Masternode solution fix that security risk ?
What about DDoS vulnerability to this 1K masternode solution and also to 4K HPM / 10K HPM ?

Last edited:
@qwizzie but what are the upsides... it's 30 times less secure... In fact the security level would make this non viable.

In comparison to the 4K HPM solution (a centralized solution, due to higher collateral), yes it's 30 times less secure apparently

How secure is it in comparison to the Platform on all nodes solution ? (a decentralized solution with no change to collateral)
What about security risk ? (Platform bug taking out all masternodes) : does the 1K Masternode solution indeed fixes that security risk ?
What about DDoS vulnerability to this 1K masternode solution and also to 4K HPM / 10K HPM solutions ?

Why would this 1K masternode solution be non viable and the Platform on all nodes be viable, when comparing it directly to the 4K HPM solution ?
Which you are doing here... pretty much anything would be non viable that way.

Platform on all nodes solution and 4k HPM solution would be non viable in comparison to the 10K HPM solution then as well then, when taking this sort of reasoning with regards to security a step further.

Last edited:
The chance to be able to stop a quorum is 0.13% for the top MNO with 40% more Dash with the 1K solution. It's at 0.03% for the 4K solution and 0% with the 10k solution. So if you are interesting in decentralization for a security reason then you should prefer 10k over 4k over 1k. While this is counterintuitive it's still the truth. It's because of how probabilities work.

In my calculation, 1k running platform would need a 50$/month server. the 4k solution was using 100$/month servers. So yes the ddos protection and abilities of the 4k solution is stronger.

The everyone runs platform is secure as well, just because of the top node/total amount of nodes is small enough to not worry about this problem.

The chance to be able to stop a quorum is 0.13% for the top MNO with 40% more Dash with the 1K solution. It's at 0.03% for the 4K solution and 0% with the 10k solution.

So what is the percentage for Platform on all nodes solution ? I am seeing percentage for 1K solution (0.13%), i am seeing percentage for 4K solution (0.03%) and i am seeing percentage for 10K solution (0%). I am missing the percentage for Platform on all nodes solution. Also what are the cost for running Platform on all nodes per month on a server?

That way we can compare 1K masternode solution directly with the Platform on all nodes solution (Fees - Security - Server costs).
Fees are already 2x lower, so i am only wondering about security percentage (stopping a quorum) and server costs between these two solutions.

Last edited:
It's 0.0006% for this specific issue. However security will also be impacted by the strength of nodes. The 4k/10k solution will economically push for stronger nodes which will reduce the chance of ddos working.

Thank you for these calculations.

So to summarize :

Platform on all nodes solution (no change in collateral)

Storage Fees

14 cents for Base Identity
58 cents for setting up Identity + DPNS + DashPay
$72 for 1MB

Security

0.0006% chance to be able to stop a quorum

Server costs per month

$50

1K masternode solution (no change in collateral, but with a choice to run either a Platform node or a normal Classical node)

Storage Fees

7 cents for Base Identity
29 cents for setting up Identity + DPNS + DashPay
$36 for 1MB

Security

0.13% chance to be able to stop a quorum

Server costs per month

$50

4K HPM solution (increase in collateral)

Storage Fees

1.5 cents for Base Identity
6 cents for setting up Identity + DPNS + DashPay
$7.80 for 1MB

Security

0.03% chance to be able to stop a quorum

Server costs per month

$100

10K HPM solution (increase in collateral)

Storage Fees

0.5 cents for Base Identity
2 cents for setting up Identity + DPNS + DashPay
$2.60 for 1MB

Security

0% chance to be able to stop a quorum

Server costs per month

$150

Source : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...gh-performance-nodes.53374/page-3#post-232207 + above posts

Last edited:
The 1K masternode solution could be a pretty good compromise, for both DCG and the endusers / masternode owners.

Very reasonable storage fees
The higher server costs per month for the Platform 1K nodes will be compensated through Platform Credits after each epoch (18 days)
Offers masternode owners a choice between running a Classical node or a Platform node
Does not sacrifice too much on security (0.13% chance to be able to stop a quorum seems pretty acceptable)
Does not sacrice on decentralisation
Avoids a lot of unrest

For all nodes, you should put 50$/node too... I believe this will be the slightly higher than minimum level where we would start to get at least not a terrible level of service.

For the 10k system it's probably about 150$.

Okay something else then, let's imagine the current hardware requirements causes everyone to spend 20$ on their Masternodes each.

This means that the current yearly level of return is 6.8%

We can also give estimated rewards for the network in all these scenarios:

At network start (no fees generated) AND Assuming the rewards even out with the market we get the following values..
All nodes run platform: 6.11%
1K split system: 6.49%
4K split system: 7.05%
10K split system 7.16%

At network start (no fees generated) AND Assuming platform nodes get slightly more rewards (educated guesses on how the system will stabilise).
1K split system:
Masternodes: 6.4%
HPMasternodes: 6.6%
4K split system:
Masternodes: 6.9%
HPMasternodes: 7.2%
10K split system:
Masternodes: 7%
HPMasternodes: 7.3%

At network start (no fees generated) AND Assuming platform nodes get slightly more rewards AND platform nodes run stronger hardware to better server the network and ensure their profits(educated guesses on how the system will stabilize and hardware used).
1K split system:
Masternodes: 6.4%
HPMasternodes: 6.6%
4K split system:
Masternodes: 6.75%
HPMasternodes: 7%
10K split system:
Masternodes: 6.9%
HPMasternodes: 7.2%

Last edited:
Back