• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

I can't unlock my wallet

NewJack

I think I shut down the wallet before it finished encrypting my passphrase. Is that possible?
Or, despite entering the passphrase twice ( a sentence) and writing it down, when I re-enter said phrase my wallet isn't opening up.
I only had 2.5 DRK in there at the time.
Should I just delete the wallet and start over? If so, how?
I have tried Recoinvery, but no luck yet.

some extra information: I had "space" characters in my passphrase. So the first two words were (without quotes) "world war" followed by another space and word. Could the space character be fouling up the password?

Open Help -> Debug window -> Console and type
walletpassphrase "your passphrase here" 9999999
if it works for you then you can try to change your passphrase to new one
walletpassphrasechange "your old passphrase here" "your new passphrase here"

Open Help -> Debug window -> Console and type
walletpassphrase "your passphrase here" 9999999
if it works for you then you can try to change your passphrase to new one
walletpassphrasechange "your old passphrase here" "your new passphrase here"
Thanks for the insight but it didn't help. I just get Error: The wallet passphrase entered was incorrect. (code -14)

Thanks for the insight but it didn't help. I just get Error: The wallet passphrase entered was incorrect. (code -14)

So, your pass phrase is "world war"? If that's what it is (with a space), try this:
walletpassphrase "world war" 300

Enter it in the console exactly like that with either the double or single quotes. It should unlock the wallet for you for 5 minutes.

some extra information: I had "space" characters in my passphrase. So the first two words were (without quotes) "world war" followed by another space and word. Could the space character be fouling up the password?

Space is not a problem at all.

Are you sure that what you have written down is what you entered is the same? I once had a problem because I change the language of my keyboard frequently. I encrypted a wallet without realizing that it was in another language at that time. You don't see what you type, so I was unaware that the special characters I had typed were not the intended ones. A few days after that I tried to unlock and got an error. It took me some time of trial and error but in the end I realized what the problem was.

Since them I always encrypt before putting any darkcoins in the wallet. Once I've opened it several times and I'm comfortable, I send the coins.

I also recommend creating the passwords in a password manager (I use KeePass) and copy it from there so I can't do typos.

If you don't find the password and you want to start over, you just need to remove the file wallet.dat and next time you open the wallet it will create a new one. You could also delete it, but I would keep it just in case you remember anything. Today 2.5 drk is not worth much, but you never know what it will be worth in the future!! If you're on windows the wallet.dat file is located in c:\users\your_username\appdata\roaming\darkcoin

Hi all, thanks for the insight.
Here is my best description of the passphrase in case anyone can grok the best approach:

I believe my passphrase is 9 words, all lower case, with a space in-between each word. The first 2 words I believe are "world war". I say "I believe" because I remember the phrase, and even wrote it down. But, whenever I type it, no go.

I tried recoinervy.com but (maybe I just didn't enter the right parameters) no go.

I replaced the wallet.dat file as advised by fernando and started anew, though I did save the old .dat file.

Do you have any drk in the wallet? If not, it's better to just create a new one with the passphrase written down.

Do you have any drk in the wallet? If not, it's better to just create a new one with the passphrase written down.
How do you create a new wallet? i've lost my paraphrase (i know, Very stupid) and i know i wont find it again but i can't figure out how to start a new wallet. i've tried re-installing etc but it always starts up with the same encripted wallet that i can't do anything with....

How do you create a new wallet? i've lost my paraphrase (i know, Very stupid) and i know i wont find it again but i can't figure out how to start a new wallet. i've tried re-installing etc but it always starts up with the same encripted wallet that i can't do anything with....
Never mind i think i've got it, i managed to find the wallet.dat file and delete it

Back