• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Should core decide if dash is opensource Evolution or should Mns decide ?

Icebucket

Im wontering if it should be entirely core decision to opensource evolution code. To me as a MN it should be put up for a vote for MNs to decide if that is the way to go.

There are copycoins standing in line to benifit from what dash and MN support has benefited.

There can be opensource licence code .. someone that wants to use the code has to get permission from the developer. it is still open for peer review and legit in that sence .. you just need to get permission to use it ..

If this will not happen I will seriously consider dumping my MNs to buy up that copycat coin that will steal the code .. It is just logical ... and im probably not the only one thinking this..

this project is like my adopted child. I believe in it with all my might.. but thinking this from a investors point of view ... is a whole different thing .. there are probably hundreds of people that took out loans on theyr houses to buy a MN .. they wont think about some opensource ethics or some shit like that .. they care about investment security .. giving out the code will seriously undermine dash net worth. And it scares people

If you dont have a MN badge .. please dont post here

I will seriously consider dumping my MNs to buy up that copycat coin that will steal the code .. It is just logical

Naw son, the whole Evolution platform will not come out all at once later this year. It will come out in phases over the years. There are a lot more pieces to this puzzle than most people think. The competition will always be one step behind (months/years) playing catch up and Dash will continue to innovate. Part of that will be releasing/open sourcing the Evolution code, not just for ethical reasons but precisely for copycats to build on so we can then take whatever works from the copycats and continue to maintain our dominance through future inovation.
We will always be the premier brand and If we do this right we will be unstoppable.

this project is like my adopted child. I believe in it with all my might.. but thinking this from a investors point of view ... is a whole different thing .. there are probably hundreds of people that took out loans on theyr houses to buy a MN .. they wont think about some opensource ethics or some shit like that .. they care about investment security .. giving out the code will seriously undermine dash net worth. And it scares people

If you dont have a MN badge .. please dont post here
Mate don't tell people not to post if they don't have a flag letting the world know they are a good target. I'm sure there is a huge chunk of the community who don't want to have a masternode badge and they own many many masternodes.

Open source is the only way to go if the project is open source but with restrictions, we lose the advantage anyway through slight changes made to the code.
Also what's to stop an anonymous dev team launching regardless? It's not like we could shut the project down even if we tried.
Mastermind is spot on as well, the project would be lost to the masternode holders if this code was locked down. In the event, we wanted to sack the dev team and fork the project we would have lost all our gains. What your suggesting would make us truly centralised.

Also, would you really switch to a copycat coin? If that's the case you should go to chaincoin and check out their project, they are a huge upcoming copycat threat to DASH. They have been chasing our tale for years now

Your silly little Masternode vote is merely governance theater to make you feel warm, fuzzy, and special; it has no effect on what Evan Duffield and DashCoreClub decide to do.

If Evolution uses code from open source projects with GPL/BSD type licenses, it is legally required to be open source as well.

If Evolution doesn't use GPL/BSD type code, DashCoreClub is going to have to rewrite a ton of basic stuff like OpenSSH and OpenSSL.

That's not going to happen, so you just need to stop being a greedy little bitch and get used to the idea that Evolution will be open source whether you whine and rage dump or not.
Why do you spend so much time on the DASH forums spreading discord? It seems to me you are here hating on DASH and its innovation every day. Are you paid to be here?

Why do you spend so much time on the DASH forums spreading discord? It seems to me you are here hating on DASH and its innovation every day. Are you paid to be here?

Nah, Icebreaker (his name in bitcointalk, here he is using the Dash News Network name) really enjoys trolling. He is a psychopath, he is with us since mid 2014. Have you seen Mindhunter on netflix? Kind of but in a internet version
He is also a fascist and a monero supremacist. So imagine.... Get used to it. He is our pet troll ;)

Last edited:
There is more to running a successful cryptocurrency than just a little copy/paste of the code.

1. Forking the code and starting Dash copycat 2 does not magically get you a treasury budget of 5-10 million bucks a month to hire more devs, quality control (how's that Iota/tangle mess working out!), marketing, research center at ASU, etc.

2. Forking the code doesn't get you 4,500 Masternodes, each with approximately a million dollars worth of skin in the game.

3. Forking the code doesn't get you the experienced dev team that Dash has. There is already a significant shortage of blockchain devs. It is about to get much worse due to all the ICO's attempting to build actual products instead of just a nice white paper. It does strike me as odd that the Thailiand intern proposal is not zooming off to yes/infinity. We need more devs. That gets us more devs. Go vote if you haven't : https://www.dashcentral.org/p/internshipsDashThailand

4. At least half of the reason Dash is succeeding is the people involved. No crypto community comes close to what we have in the Dash community. Evan is a genius and devoted to the cause. Amanda B. Johnson is a force to be reckoned with. Tao of Satoshi almost singlehandedly changed a toxic destructive Dash forum into the best crypto forum on the planet. No disrespect to Dash.org, but if you're not a member over on DashNation discord, you're missing out. https://discordapp.com/invite/9z8zX5j

5. More and more masternodes are quitting their day job and devoting significant time and resources to make this thing unstoppable. Talk about faith in the project.

As a masternode, I would just like to chime in:

I would like to recieve a voice in open sourcing. I think there are good arguments on both sides. The best course of action I see with my current understanding is to have a 6-12 month lag time from launch to open source.

We can vote on it, certainly, but I will always be for the open source route. It's just what crypto is all about and it also guarantees that many eyes will check the code, poke it and prod it. In the end, that's the best guarantee that some critical vulnerability will not be overlooked.

As a masternode, I would just like to chime in:

I would like to recieve a voice in open sourcing. I think there are good arguments on both sides. The best course of action I see with my current understanding is to have a 6-12 month lag time from launch to open source.
I agree a delayed open source more for finding bugs than a market advantage. If the DASH core team looked like they where doing this them stopping I would be of a different oppinion. Our strength is having the team that creates the ideas and bring them to reality not just the codebase.
If bitcoin still had Satoshi Nakamoto bitcoin would be quite a threat I'm sure.

Are we discussing whether the code should be open source, or are we discussing who should decide whether the code should be open source?

The one who pays for the creation of the code, decides what the license should be, and what the restrictions (if any) should be. Thats why the masternodes should decide about it.

The code of dash should be restricted opensource. Because if it is free open source then the government, the military industry, the banks and whoever else you may dont like, they may use the whole thing (or part of it) for their own profit or even against you.

Releasing your code as free opensource is not smart, unless you are secretely paid for it by the agents. The smart is to restrict the way your software is used, because it may be used for purposes you dont like. The free open source movement is advertised/financed by state agents, industries, e.t.c in order for stupid brainwashed developers to work for free for them. While at the same time the advertisers get a lot of money for actually doing nothing.

If they masternodes finaly decide dash to become free open source, then one day the government will get the dash code and they will create a (supported and regulated by the government) version of cryptocurrency, in order to compete and/or destroy the dash community. If the masternodes finnaly decide to release the dash code as free opensource, this is an indication (among other indications) that the majority of the masternodes is operated by individuals controled by the state and the government.

Last edited:
You really don't get the essence of cryptocurrencies, do you, demo?
Creating a copy doesn't accomplish anything by itself. Without the support of the users, the network is a dead thing with no value.

You really don't get the essence of cryptocurrencies, do you, demo?
Creating a copy doesn't accomplish anything by itself. Without the support of the users, the network is a dead thing with no value.

Of course I know that, and I agree with it. The community support is always above the source code and above the data. This is yet another proof of the social nature of money.

But I also know that the support of the users is obligatory, in the case of the government. For those who dont want to support the government, there is also the jail.

So in a free world, the support of the users is enough for a cryptocurrency to succeed. But unfortunately we dont live in a free world.

Last edited:
Are we discussing whether the code should be open source, or are we discussing who should decide whether the code should be open source?

Perhaps I have assessed the situation incorrectly, but this is a moot and academic question. If the code does not become open source, people will abandon Dash in droves. If the code is not open source, we are little better than the legacy banking system. "Trust us, it's good honest code and good honest money." I don't really see where there's any room for debate about if.

I suppose it is a worthwhile discussion to really settle who is driving the boat, but I'm pretty certain the answer is the Masternodes. And core has made efforts to create a legal entity in Switzerland such that the Masternode community could hold patents and own shares of companies. The patents would be protective patents on features and software from Evolution, etc. This prevents bad actors from patenting our open source code and then telling us we can't use it. It does not prevent others from seeing it or using it. This all points to open source. To the best of my recollection anyway.

Mate don't tell people not to post if they don't have a flag letting the world know they are a good target. I'm sure there is a huge chunk of the community who don't want to have a masternode badge and they own many many masternodes.

There is a reason for the badge, this is a open forum on the internet and there are troubled people like the one above this post who dont really ever contribute anything of value to the conversation worth reading.

Cant see how it would make them a target ? Dont follow.. this forum is anonymous.

Badges are not a requirement by any means, They just make me personally consider their input more than a random person on the internet.

In case anyone is unclear on my POV, here is a reiteration with the goal of clarification.

My biggest point is that at least one Masternode owner (the OP) mistakenly believes the obvious-to-most fact that Evolution must and will be open source is somehow (magically?) a decision left up to the Masternodes (despite no enforcement mechanism that can override a DashCore veto).

It's not a good look for Dash to have successfully misrepresented its DGBB governance theater to the point where MNOs have become so severely delusional.

And it's a very bad look for nobody except me to have the guts to tell the OP "YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE" directly to his stupid face.

Choosing to protect false but self-flattering narratives over embracing unpleasant truths isn't best practices, yet Dash does it in a dozen different ways, this being only the latest example.

That bad behavior is a large part of what makes Dash a scam in the eyes of most of the crypto community.

In everyone else's POV it's a normal discussion among community members about what we want the decision-making process on an issue to involve. In your POV it is a perfect opportunity to expose Dash for its pervasive delusion, lies, and denial. So dramatic. It must be very exciting to see things from your perspective.

There is a reason for the badge, this is a open forum on the internet and there are troubled people like the one above this post who dont really ever contribute anything of value to the conversation worth reading.

Cant see how it would make them a target ? Dont follow.. this forum is anonymous.

Badges are not a requirement by any means, They just make me personally consider their input more than a random person on the internet.
In a perfect world we could have a discussion on a forum with only people who care about the project but it's not perfect, we have demo as the example of a mistake in creation.
About this forum being anonymous you are very wrong. There are steps you can take to ensure your own anonymity, however, most people do not bother with this.
People will run into a bank with guns for $20,000. Buddy, please don't kid yourself of the danger of flashing digital cash that they can get away more easily with than cash.
That aside my point also being a lot of people love their financial privacy and would never put a badge reflecting their financial situation.
Don't take this the wrong way its not an attack, we are on the same team.

Back