• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

missing Dash after upgrade 12.1 w/out copying old software to new folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i really need help in getting my DASH back I have the files but my old QT is now 12.1 all the DASH and transactions have vanished, I am not sure what to do I am on mac osx I do not have time machine set up so i cant go back and restore like the last guy posting. maybe i can recover it on the block chain or is it gone forever it was 13 DASH not to much but i can say i am kind of pissed at the same time. any ideas please

This thread covers the steps needed on Windows, the Dash data folder location has changed and you need to move some files manually. Updating instructions are here with details on the old and new locations but if your 12.1 installation is up to date the only file you need to move is the wallet file containing your funds (wallet.dat):
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Updating+to+12.1+-+Users

lost all my DASH in the update to 12.1 on mac osx can any one help

Do you have a directory named /home/username/Library/Application Support/Dash ?
And also a directory named /home/username/Library/Application Support/DashCore ?

If so, just copy wallet.dat from Dash into DashCore, and you should all good.

The upgrade process to 12.1 SUCKS ASS.

Do they realize that?

This is the best they can do?

Why are the upgrades NOT automated or at least launchable from within the old version?

What year is this?

Firstly this is year 2017, the upgrade is easily done and has been done by a number of people there are 4000+ masternode s and it seems you are the only one to have written such a post, maybe that says something. If you really read documentation, including the upgrade process, you wouldn't be complaining.. Like I mentioned in my other post which u have probably read by now, the core team here is working on evolution which are targeting users such as you, so be patient.. Upgrading masternode is somewhat automated right now, I would suggest you search for the dashman github script made by moocow, which will definitely help you in the future and and by the way pls don't criticise the software or developers they are making some of the best software out there, the dev team here is one of the smartest I have ever seen.

Firstly this is year 2017, the upgrade is easily done and has been done by a number of people there are 4000+ masternode s and it seems you are the only one to have written such a post, maybe that says something. If you really read documentation, including the upgrade process, you wouldn't be complaining.. Like I mentioned in my other post which u have probably read by now, the core team here is working on evolution which are targeting users such as you, so be patient.. Upgrading masternode is somewhat automated right now, I would suggest you search for the dashman github script made by moocow, which will definitely help you in the future and and by the way pls don't criticise the software or developers they are making some of the best software out there, the dev team here is one of the smartest I have ever seen.

Do they realize that?

Why are the upgrades NOT automated or at least launchable from within the old version?

What year is this?

Do they realize that?

What year is this?

Welcome to the Dash Forum, Larry... sounds like you're having difficulties?
No worries, just stay calm, and provide some details. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Do they realize that?

What year is this?
+ 1 - I agree fully.
It has been such a bad experience for me, that I am considering getting out of dash entirely.

UPDATE 2017-04-03:
I retract my complaint about the upgrade - here is what worked for me to resolve:
1. Ensured I had the latest version of my pre-upgrade wallet in a safe place.
2. Uninstalled the multiple versions I had installed to ensure all s/w was off my win box.
3. Installed the latest version, and ran it until the blockchain was full up-to-date.
4. Closed Dash.
5. Deleted wallet.dat from new install.
6. Copied my last-known-good wallet backup into the same location as the wallet.dat I just deleted, and placed it there with name wallet.dat
7. Started dash core
8 Dash did further synchronizing to blockchain (did not take very long)
9. My balance and transactions are now showing as they were pre-update.

Hope this is helpful to others.
-james

Last edited:
Suggestion to make upgrade experience better;
1. Place the steps in some more prominent place - like on the download page - ore make a separate page for the upgrade process.
2. Reduce the number of steps (Save wallet.dat, uninstall, reinstall, start and get all blocks sync'd, stop, replace wallet.dat, restart)
-james

This fuss was because of the folder name was changed (Dash -> DashCore),
from this point on, there is no need to do that anymore, i hope.

So guys relax.

PS. Autoupdate was declined few years ago, because of security reasons.
But i'm still hoping that wallet get at least new version noticing system.

+ 1 - I agree fully.
It has been such a bad experience for me, that I am considering getting out of dash entirely.

UPDATE 2017-04-03:
I retract my complaint about the upgrade - here is what worked for me to resolve:
2. Uninstalled the multiple versions I had installed to ensure all s/w was off my win box.
3. Installed the latest version, and ran it until the blockchain was full up-to-date.
4. Closed Dash.
6. Copied my last-known-good wallet backup into the same location as the wallet.dat I just deleted, and placed it there with name wallet.dat
7. Started dash core

-james

My wallet shows zero balance after upgrade in March this year.
Qt file is version 5.5.0. Build is March 20,2017 for version v0.12.1.4
Exe file is Dec.31,2016 in Dash 32371 Kb
DashCore version is v0.12.2.1 (64 bit)
No small lock icon
wallet repair button grey out and no success Rescaning or Rebuild index.
In DashCore I have Wallet.dat (mar10,2017) and wallet.dat.2017-03-09-01-00 (mar8,2017)(832 Kb)
In Dash I have Wallet.dat.2016-12-23-03-23 (832 Kb)
I had funds before March this year--can these be restored?

First, keep good track of your wallet files. It sounds like that wallet.dat file in the Dash folder should just be copied to DashCore and you will be good to go.

First, keep good track of your wallet files. It sounds like that wallet.dat file in the Dash folder should just be copied to DashCore and you will be good to go.
Hi Strophy---I only now have one DAT file in DashCore(Wallet.DAT 832Kb,Marchth,2017)
DashCore also has a non DAT file(2016-12-23-03-23)
Wallet shows nil--- Any chance of recovery still? Should I "rescan and rebuild index" ?
Thanks for your attention!!

I don't know - it's impossible for me to tell which wallet file is the correct one based on the date and size in kB. These are your wallets, not mine. Part of using cryptocurrency is taking careful responsibility for your own security!

I would recommend you get all the wallet files you can find and store them in one folder. Then carefully load each one of them, one at a time, and rescan each time to find the one that holds your funds.

I don't know - it's impossible for me to tell which wallet file is the correct one based on the date and size in kB. These are your wallets, not mine. Part of using cryptocurrency is taking careful responsibility for your own security!

I would recommend you get all the wallet files you can find and store them in one folder. Then carefully load each one of them, one at a time, and rescan each time to find the one that holds your funds.
Thank you for the advice---Will do that and report on results with .dat files only--not (2016-12-23-03) files.

The files with a date attached are very likely to be wallet backups made on that. You should rename them to wallet.dat one at a time and load them into Dash Core to see what is in there.

+ 1 - I agree fully.

UPDATE 2017-04-03:
4. Closed Dash.
7. Started dash core

-james

I find this interesting. Are you using any other BlockChain wallets of any other coin? I have been playing around a lot of them and DASH is really very easy to use and upgrade. I currently have an update of another wallet which I have restarted 3 times. Second time with bootstrap and finally another fresh start and waiting to sync. On the previous wallet it took over 3 weeks and finally it would not accept my wallet.dat file with my coins. So I had to installed another instance on a windows pc and extract the privkeys to retrieve my coins. ( even the explanation is tedious imagine doing this over a few days!)
I am on day 3 still waiting for it to sync. With DASH it was very easy I just followed direction. Its really not bad.

PS: I have downloaded over 30 BlockChain wallets from all the big names to new kids on the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back