• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How should the Dash network be valued?

jimbursch

Also I fundamentally disagree with the notion that on-chain transactions are somehow indicative of a network's value. I actually get quite upset at this particular fallacy. I'll be happy to facilitate a discussion on the subject if anyone is interested.

So, how should the Dash network be valued? Given the craziness of the Dash price, this seems like an important question.

Can Dash's value be judged from any of the data available here?:
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dash/

Is market capitalization meaningful? Is 24 hour volume meaningful?

Please set aside any speculative biases for this discussion. We are all happy when the price is rising and we all want it to continue to rise. But are we seeing clearly?

So, how should the Dash network be valued? Given the craziness of the Dash price, this seems like an important question.

Can Dash's value be judged from any of the data available here?:
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dash/

Is market capitalization meaningful? Is 24 hour volume meaningful?

Please set aside any speculative biases for this discussion. We are all happy when the price is rising and we all want it to continue to rise. But are we seeing clearly?

Yet another article idea - "How should crypto networks be valued?"

I'm going to give this some thought and come back to it - but 1 principle I would like to test to be true in this case: All value is belief.

Given that - it's a matter of gauging who believes what, and how willing they are to stand up for their beliefs with their actions and behaviors, such that it affects markets, economy, politics, policy, etc.

All value is belief.

This is true, and it is the basis of every asset bubble -- the belief that a price will rise before it falls.

But does the Dash network have some sort of foundational value? A house can have speculative value that can go to the moon, and then collapse, but at least you can still live in a house, regardless of it's price.

At a minimum, from my perspective, the best value Dash actually holds right now are (in priority order):

1) The Community Ethos & Behavior
2) The Masternodes & Governance System (& network "re-investment")
3) The Developers & the Core Team Members (human dedication, efforts, loyalty, intelligence, empathy, & code capability)
4) The Public advocates both network funded and unfunded
5) The established and growing business relationships
5.5) The proposed innovation to legally structuring DAO's
6) The speculative value of success (of many projects)
7) The speculative loss & gain of failure & learning
8) The future value of growth and earnings both intrinsic and extrinsic

That's a great way to put it. My list would be:

1. Masternodes (the technology, not the people or the governance)
2. The mining reward split between miners, masternodes and budget
3. The budget -- the 10% devoted to network dev
4. The budget allocation system ("governance")
5. The Core Team members plus the masternode operators who back them
6. The community
7. Luck.

As you can see, I value the technology over the people, but the people do deserve credit. The people will come and go, but the technology remains.

It's the technology that is the foundational value of the Dash network and puts a floor underneath the price.

Back