• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Poll: Should we anoint demo a "Resident Troll" badge?

Poll: Should we anoint demo a "Resident Troll" badge?

• Total voters
@codablock , @GrandMasterDash -- you guys are failing the @demo character test and falling into his trap. Save yourselves! Put laser focus on the substantive content of his argument and COMPLETELY ignore his style and all the other cruft he puts into his posts. When his post is nothing but cruft, completely ignore it. When you can pass the @demo character test, you will be a master of yourself and all trolls for time immemorial.

Due to the frequent disrespect for other members
and frequent insults of forum members
and frequent insults to the Masternodes
and frequent ad hominem attacks
and failure to respond to straightforward questions with straightforward answers
and giving frequent bad impressions to new people on the forum
and frequently moving the goalposts when his/her side of the argument is not going well
and frequently discouraging or outright ruination of perfectly good and useful logical discussions
and frequent half truths and inaccuracies
and always failing to take the hint that the forum has about had enough of his or her antics
and the frequent self aggrandizement
and rarely if ever admitting to being wrong.............

This completely, utterly grossly outweighs the tiny percentage of useful contribution that Demo makes.

I take it as a testament to how mature and tolerant and easy going the Dash forum is that Demo was not banned ages ago. Rather like the canary in the mine.

At this time, I believe we have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are tolerant group, and willing to listen to the other view point of view--to a fault.

Having proved that, I feel that we no longer require the services of a canary.

As one of "the stupids" , my preference would be for an outright ban, the sooner the better. Short of that, a permanent Mega-Troll badge, I would settle for that.

I'm all about redemption and forgiveness, but after 70 times 7 events, I'm done.

I don't know how difficult it would be to do this but I wonder if a script could run every 24 hours and automatically award people troll status. Say, for example, 10 posts and 4 of them are marked as trolling. Maybe it would be more neutral that way. I'm only suggesting this because my main concern is for new members.

Chance of demo turning from a troll into a valuable, contributing member of this community before and after this thread:
0%

Time and energy wasted on this discussion:
Too much to waste more energy on and measure

Ways Dash, its developers or its community benefitted from this discussion:
(L)0(L)

Effort required to permanently ban demo and end his shit show for good:
2-3 clicks or around 5 kcalories of finger & mouse movement

I'm not defending @demo's bad behavior I'm just saying to ignore it, however, to set the record straight:

@demo identified a bug in Dash code, and provided a solution:

https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/1671

which is more than the vast majority of contributors to this forum have done.

I wouldn't care even if it was Evan himself. If someone doesn't respect forum guidelines by continually hijacking threads, throwing insults, and bumping necro threads, it is not a matter of training everybody else to ignore them. Corrective action is needed (official warnings and temp bans). And if the corrective action does not stop the behavior, then they should be prevented from continuing the behavior (permaban).

I'm not defending @demo's bad behavior I'm just saying to ignore it, however, to set the record straight:

@demo identified a bug in Dash code, and provided a solution:

https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/1671

which is more than the vast majority of contributors to this forum have done.

Edge case caused by using outdated software to compile the client? And then even have the audacity to demand a tip? Sorry, doesn't qualify in my book. You keep your dependencies up to date otherwise you're provoking a bug. And judging from past behaviour that was exactly his goal. Don't be fooled.

You are a complete idiot.

Charming as ever. I think I stopped counting how many times I've reported you now. Let's just call this "+1"

Unfortunately it is not Q.E.D.
It is truth. You are a complete idiot. I confirm that, for the future generations to investigate my claim.

I am sorry you feel that way. I assure you it is not my intention to be a complete idiot in your eyes or in the eyes of the future generations.
:D

No I dont want you to ban me.
But I am forced to tell the truth, at all costs.
Learn from your mistakes and be honest with yourself, because you are not.

You are talking about telling the truth maybe you should learn how to teach the truth. You clearly have trouble understanding how the human brain works. When it is insulted it closes like an oyster. Try telling the truth to an oyster and tell me about your results :D.

Anyways, telling truth is useless if nobody listens to it. And if nobody is listening is YOUR fault. If you feel what you have to say is that important, you need to learn how to adapt to your public, not the other way round. At least you should try it. What do you have to loose ?

Learn from your mistakes and be honest with yourself, because you are not.

You are talking about telling the truth maybe you should learn how to teach the truth. You clearly have trouble understanding how the human brain works. When it is insulted it closes like an oyster. Try telling the truth to an oyster and tell me about your results :D.

Anyways, telling truth is useless if nobody listens to it. And if nobody is listening is YOUR fault. If you feel what you have to say is that important, you need to learn how to adapt to your public, not the other way round. At least you should try it. What do you have to loose ?

I agree with you.

But on he other hand, truth hurts. For example, suppose I am telling you now that you will be dead in 4 years, you will not listen to me , even if I am right. You will close your ears like an oyster. This is how human brain works, it refuses whatever is not pleasant, even if this is truth. And on the other hand, this is how human brain works, they accept whatever is pleasant, even if this is a lie.

This is how human brain works, it refuses whatever is not pleasant, even if this is truth. And on the other hand, this is how human brain works, they accept whatever is pleasant, even if this is a lie.
Disagree : it tends to refuse what is not pleasant and it tends to accept what is pleasant. But it's not an inevitability. With the proper tools, conversation and listening us, as humans, are capable of evolving and changing opinion or point of views.

Many mecanisms are at work : authority argument (a patient will believe a doctor in most of the case if it tells him he's gonna die), demonstration (proving the illness with verified informations) but what work best is understanding the other and showing that you wish him no harm. That's how a doctor will convince a patient first.

Those three mecanism must be somehow verified for you to teach the truth, nothing to do with pleaseantness. Because demonstration can do nothing when you don't trust the person talking to you (facts and proofs can easily be manipulated), the authority argument helps you but is not enough alone, because, in both cases, if you think the other person wish you harm, you will not listen to it.

By insulting somebody you eliminate any effect that a demonstration or a proof of any knowledge might have on your listener as you will be not trusted as having the other interest in mind. If your purpose is noble, why wouldn't you follow some simple guidelines that would help you have your voice heard (first being stopping insulting other ;)) ? Again, have you ever tried some other way than your current behaviour ?

By insulting somebody you eliminate any effect that a demonstration or a proof of any knowledge might have on your listener as you will be not trusted as having the other interest in mind. If your purpose is noble, why wouldn't you follow some simple guidelines that would help you have your voice heard (first being stopping insulting other ;)) ?

Oh yeah? Really?
If you are right, then how comes and the below managed to convince so many people?

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.
Woe to you, blind guides! You say, 'If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.'
You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?
You also say, 'If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.'
You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred?
Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it.
And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it.
And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it.
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.
In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.
And you say, 'If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.'
So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets.
Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?
Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town.
And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

Some people deserve to be insulted, so insulting them is the right thing to do.
Obviously when you insult someone, means that you don't hope to convince him.
You insult him in order to warn the others.
You warn the others, in order for the others to be protected from the evilness or the stupidity of the people who you insult.
And this is the right thing to do.

So, the next time someone will insult you, ask yourself: What is the real reason he lost any hope of convincing me?

Last edited:
Back