• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Possibility of z snark privacy on Dash in the future?

The Darksend feature of Dash does have some issues, so I think Dash should explore possiblities to integrate z-snark in some way. The problems with Darksend that I see
  1. You must never leave any change when paying with darkmixed coins. Spending any change would break your anonymity.
  2. The smallest denomination of mixed coins currently is 0.0100001 Dash, which is worth about $2 at the moment. This means on average you pay 0.005 Dash or $1 too much in a darksend transaction that because of 1) you cannot get back as change. This makes darksend transactions impractical for low amounts at the moment. Introducing smaller denominations would help here.
  3. Darkmixing uses many addresses which potentially bloat the blockchain and your wallets.
  4. Hardware wallets (currently) do not support dark mixing. Which again limits its usability. z-snark have the same problem and it might be much harder to get support for it on hw wallets. We will see who will be first to solve that.

Evan seems to be sceptical about zk-snarks here is what he said on reddit.
Offchain mixing solutions are always going to be better than any sort of cryptographic functions that are stored on chain. Think about quantum computers, ASIC fabricated specifically made to break said cryptography, etc. When the value being transmitted exceeds the cost of producing such a device it will be done, probably in private by nationstates for the specific purpose of breaking the anonymity.

Source

You must never leave any change when paying with darkmixed coins. Spending any change would break your anonymity.
This was known, address, and a solution created, a long time ago.

You are either a troll, or you haven't done sufficient research.

The smallest denomination of mixed coins currently is 0.0100001 Dash, which is worth about $2 at the moment. This means on average you pay 0.005 Dash or $1 too much in a darksend transaction that because of 1) you cannot get back as change. This makes darksend transactions impractical for low amounts at the moment. Introducing smaller denominations would help here.
This is predicated upon the previous falsehood, so it is also a falsehood.

The change problem is solved, so this argument went out the window with it.

Caveat: solve, but not implemented. DASH is Alpha experimentation on some core function. Evolution is the final product, and we don't even have a glimpse at that yet. This is all very early experimental. It's easy for the Cryptotard community to miss that fact, because what DASH looks like now is familiar, but what it's heading for is not. There's no frame of reference for people who have never accomplished anything grand in their live. They see DASH as it is today with no ability to reason that it's just a first step. This lack of vision is a result of ALL cryptocurrencies taking only that first step and then stopping there. That's not what's happening with DASH.

While I have a LOT of criticism for the totally retarded way some of this has been grossly and even willfully mismanaged, the forward progress is still happening. Boy orders of magnitude over what it had been even this time last year.
Darkmixing uses many addresses which potentially bloat the blockchain and your wallets.
It bloats it a lot less than the cryptographic option.

My Hummer as a bigger gas tank than my motorcycle. So what?

You're also ignoring the fact that, in the very near future, no DASH wallet will store the blockchain. DAPI. Again, you're either a troll, or you're really bad at doing research. Or both...
Hardware wallets (currently) do not support dark mixing. Which again limits its usability. z-snark have the same problem and it might be much harder to get support for it on hw wallets. We will see who will be first to solve that.
I've been using hardware wallets on DASH for a while now. I hope this "problem" is never "solved" because it isn't limiting my usability in the slightest... This is an imagined problem of someone desperately trying to make a point that isn't real. You're looking more and more like a troll instead of simply being misinformed... Benefit of the doubt is going to run out real quick...

Last edited:
Back