• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Ledger Nano S wallet

Just for your information:
I made a firmware update with Ledger nano s
After this I had to enter my recovery seed and ! attention !
one of the words is/was "rythm"
but
on the screen of the device is no "Y" :-(
so I'm unable to recover the Ledger.
I'm lucky because the device was empty - no loosings.
Because it's "rhythm", not "rythm".

I tend to lean more to Trezor since it is the industry standard; also support dash on beta.trezor.com. But I guess that doesn't answer your question :).

Pablo.

Hi Pablo. Can I ask what you mean by the Trezor "is the industry standard"? You mean designers of software wallets build in Trazor integration first?

Cheers.

Hi Pablo. Can I ask what you mean by the Trezor "is the industry standard"? You mean designers of software wallets build in Trazor integration first?

Cheers.

Trezor was the first HW wallet, it is also fully open source and has a long track record of strong security and good incident response, so to answer your question, services tend to integrate Trezor before other HW wallets. I believe they also have the largest user base but i can''t find the article I read that on.

Pablo.

Trezor was the first HW wallet, it is also fully open source and has a long track record of strong security and good incident response, so to answer your question, services tend to integrate Trezor before other HW wallets. I believe they also have the largest user base but i can''t find the article I read that on.

Pablo.

I see, thanks.

Ah, and the ledger is closed source? I hadn't realised that. I'm a little concerned about the (apparent?) hack the other day on the trezor - it loads unencrypted pass phrases and pin into the memory on bootup? Ledger was apparently immune to this hack.

I know there's been a firmware update, but still. Not as safe as I had imagined.

Last edited:
I'll add my two cents: from a developers point of view, Ledger has not very good support of their API, especially for Dash. One might think, that ordinary users do not care, but eventually it turns out, that applications for such a device are created much later (if at all) than for example for Trezor, which in turn has great support.

From the usability point of view, you might want to know, that if you set up a passphrase, you have to enter it using two physical Ledger keys, which can be time-consuming and for longer passwords with special characters - quite annoying.

I'll add my two cents: from a developers point of view, Ledger has not very good support of their API, especially for Dash. One might think, that ordinary users do not care, but eventually it turns out, that applications for such a device are created much later (if at all) than for example for Trezor, which in turn has great support.

From the usability point of view, you might want to know, that if you set up a passphrase, you have to enter it using two physical Ledger keys, which can be time-consuming and for longer passwords with special characters - quite annoying.

Hi,

Doesn't the Trezor use two keys as well?

Oh one thing, Ledger has different method on passphrase.
Ledger attached a passphrase to a PIN, and saves the passphrase to the device itself.

http://support.ledgerwallet.com/knowledge_base/topics/advanced-passphrase-options

So no input using keyboard.

I see, thanks.

Ah, and the ledger is closed source? I hadn't realised that. I'm a little concerned about the (apparent?) hack the other day on the trezor - it loads unencrypted pass phrases and pin into the memory on bootup? Ledger was apparently immune to this hack.

I know there's been a firmware update, but still. Not as safe as I had imagined.

Am stating the obvious here but that "hack" requires physical access to the device. Regardless of which HW wallet you use, physical security should always be taken seriously.

Back