• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Ledger Nano S wallet

Hello fellow DASH users! What do you guys think about the Ledger Nano S multi cryptocurrency wallet. Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Kindly share with us your experience, thank you! =)

I tend to lean more to Trezor since it is the industry standard; also support dash on beta.trezor.com. But I guess that doesn't answer your question :).

Pablo.

@Roberto Julio Azar Yes it does, on the beta site; and it is pretty fun to use and very secure, even on a compromised computer. THe only downside is it does not currently support masternodes, but that should be soled with Electrum and the release of 12.1 next month.

Pablo.

@Roberto Julio Azar Yes it does, on the beta site; and it is pretty fun to use and very secure, even on a compromised computer. THe only downside is it does not currently support masternodes, but that should be soled with Electrum and the release of 12.1 next month.

Pablo.

What do you mean exactly by '' on the beta site''...? Perhaps storing DASH on Trezor isn't 100% stable and reliable?

@Roberto Julio Azar It is 100% secure because trezor generates and holds the keys at all times, they never leave the device. The online interface is the beta part and Trezor is a VERY professional company. If the interface goes down however, you can just run electrum-dash and get your coins out anyway, its built to a standard. You can also use the same Trezor for multiple coins at the same time.

In all fairness I guess nothing is really 100% secure, but if Trezor is ever hacked, they will be going after the exchanges's coins before ours.

I hope that answers your questions :).

Pablo.

@Roberto Julio Azar It is 100% secure because trezor generates and holds the keys at all times, they never leave the device. The online interface is the beta part and Trezor is a VERY professional company. If the interface goes down however, you can just run electrum-dash and get your coins out anyway, its built to a standard. You can also use the same Trezor for multiple coins at the same time.

In all fairness I guess nothing is really 100% secure, but if Trezor is ever hacked, they will be going after the exchanges's coins before ours.

I hope that answers your questions :).

Pablo.
Thank you so much Pablo!

I am also interested in the Ledger S, mostly jus because I like the form factor, so if anyone has experience with that, would love to hear it.
I think I read somewhere else that it will support Masternodes once 12.1 is out?

Afaik it is still in testing fase.

I recently bought a nano s off Amazon. I like it. It takes like 5-10 mins to completely set up, once your up and running its pretty simple and easy to switch from bitcoin to dash etc. If you need to or want to check or use multiple coins. I haven't used it to buy anything yet. I did watch a video on YouTube. A guy used it making a purchase on overstock with Dash. Seems pretty easy.

I've been looking into Nano S and Trezor but I don't like that they seem to require you to use a Chrome browser extension. What's that all about? I'm a Firefox fan and avoid everything Google like the plague.

Trezor Bridge runs as a Chrome extension; nothing strange, all hardware wallets need a bridge app to run on your system. Chrome just happens to be a convenient way to do this.

Pablo.

Ledger Nano S is NOT open source. I am not sure why people keep recommending this garbage. It runs a closed-source binary blob. All they have open sourced is the tip of the iceberg. All the underneath is closed source. You have no idea if there is code in there to steal your keys, give you a virus, dump your keys, nothing. I would not recommend the Ledger S on my worst enemy.

Stick to a solution that is 100% open source. There are several. In Trezors case, it is BOTH open hardware and software.

I bought the Ledger Nano S because Trezor was out of stock :(

I set it up didnt take much im still trying to get my head around how exactly it works.

Its to my understanding that the USB device generates a wallet and private key upon connecting it to the chrome browser app.
  • It keeps the private key on the USB device
  • you create the 24 word pass phrase that is used to recover your private key?
Which is what i don't understand if i buy another Ledger Nano S and pretend my other one was destroyed and punch in the passphrase to recover
my Cryptocoin wallet. Doesnt that mean my private is on Ledgers Servers??

It would have to be how else would the new Ledger Nano S get my private key if it was only on the USB.

EIther i dont fully understand how cold storage wallets work could anyone kindly explain how it works.

There is a big difference between something that works, and something that works properly. "Easy to use" has, in the past 10 years, become secret code for "complete piece of crap that is screwing you and you're too stupid to realize it."

I blame the lazy, dumbass snowflakes. If you want to sell a product, you have to reach down to them, they refuse to reach up.

The random 9 block Trezor has for authenticating safely, even on a spyware-compromised machine, is not met by any other product in it's price range. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish Trezor were waterproof and wireless... And thinner... And not made of plastic...

Which is what i don't understand if i buy another Ledger Nano S and pretend my other one was destroyed and punch in the passphrase to recover
my Cryptocoin wallet. Doesnt that mean my private is on Ledgers Servers??
We can't be sure with the Nano S. They claim to be operating on the same premise of deterministic seed pairs. But, since they're closed source, we really don't know. They could be setting up the most hilarious GOXing of all time. No way to know. If you don't understand what this means, google BIP32. We used it in the dashvend to assure the machine had no private keys in it to be stolen.

I don't even trust Trezor's browser plugin thingy... If it's in my broswer, I assume it's sending info to a server somewhere. Nope. Not doin' that.

Does it use the tiny screen to do the same random code confirm as the Trezor, to protect from a compromised machine?

Last edited:
Just for your information:
I made a firmware update with Ledger nano s
After this I had to enter my recovery seed and ! attention !
one of the words is/was "rythm"
but
on the screen of the device is no "Y" :-(
so I'm unable to recover the Ledger.
I'm lucky because the device was empty - no loosings.

Back