• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: DASH PrivateSend De-Anonymization Contest

Would you vote for this proposal? MNOs only please!

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Abstain

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
I have no objection to looking at what other projects in the cryptosphere are up to. It would be foolish not to. I very much object to having a highly publicized contest (with a big reward) to find problems and weaknesses in other coins/projects. And if we do find issues, the way it's supposed to work with white hat people is to alert them to the problem and give them an opportunity to fix it. But not some big PR witch hunt. That just makes us look petty.

Oops, I was only half-awake and had the bug bounty program in mind. Yeah, offering a reward to break something like a Tezor wouldn't be right at all.

I am strongly suggesting this proposal take this two-pronged approach, with a very aggressive prize fund for breaking or debunking other cryptos.

This would change my vote from a yes to a no. Remember there are 2 points to this

1. Actually finding and fixing a problem with private send if there is one.
and/or
2. Using the fact no one can break private send as a marketing tool.

The idea you suggest is bad for both of those things and makes us look hostile and aggressive (there is no point debating weather it actually is hostile or aggressive, the problem is it looks hostile and aggressive).

I dont want to spend dash treasury funds running bug bounties or trying to break other coins, or giving them good marketing materials when no one can claim the prize.

Your idea would makes this so much less targeted and less focused.

This would change my vote from a yes to a no. Remember there are 2 points to this

1. Actually finding and fixing a problem with private send if there is one.
and/or
2. Using the fact no one can break private send as a marketing tool.

The idea you suggest is bad for both of those things and makes us look hostile and aggressive (there is no point debating weather it actually is hostile or aggressive, the problem is it looks hostile and aggressive).

I dont want to spend dash treasury funds running bug bounties or trying to break other coins, or giving them good marketing materials when no one can claim the prize.

Your idea would makes this so much less targeted and less focused.

Then fine, let's also put up a proposal for dash to have SegWit because we have never voted on such a controversial move. Indeed, there are people here that are concerned about the custom hardware required in the future to deal with on-chain scaling. And there also people here that are concerned about SegWit's security i.e. largely untested, relatively speaking.

The Bug Bounty is for us to find and fix problems.

The widely publicized and never claimed prize serves two other purposes, great PR for the masses and a tool to silence our competitors who can't say enough bad things about our privacy function.

And the longer it goes unclaimed the better the marketing gets and the more empty our competitors claims sound.

The worst case scenario (and the most unlikely) is that somebody outside Bug Bounty finds a problem, and claiming the prize is (well, should be in my opinion. I'm not the proposer.) conditional on letting us know the problem before announcing it publicly. This encourages "white hat" behavior rather than trying to take advantage of the weakness. Then we fix it, announce it and double the bounty. Win, win, win.

Last edited:
I still need 4 multisigs for this proposal. I can be one as PO. Need 3 more.

@UdjinM6 , @kot , @mastermined , can you serve as the other 3? If not, can you suggest an alternate?

Also, @kot can I use a dash.org email address for this contest? Perhaps I should just put that in the proposal and then if it passes we'll consider that approved!

I like this. I'd make the pot grow with the value of dash (fixed amount of dash). And have a days left countdown website that showing the current value of the pot.

This could be a prominent banner or sticky or permanent sidebar on all the popular Dash outlets/forums. I would never end it. Instead of counting down, I would count up the days.

@DashDude - OK, if the project is approved. However, I cannot promise, I will be monitoring every single details about it (too many duties at this time)

Hi @DashDude , I like this idea!
You have a knack for this - very professional.

My comments:
-I would request 500 Dash with the proposal and put the Dash equivalent to $100,000 USD at time of proposal into a multi-sig trust account so the "carrot" is there.
-I don't think an escalating reward is going to generate much hype, unless it goes up by something substantial like $100k/mo
-Max time limit = 6 months. Need to put some urgency and incentive on this.
-Bounty ticker going up like the US Treasury Debt Clock
-Strict rules and conditions to payment reviewed by Core

I want to get this proposal submitted this month. Missed the deadline last month due to missing multi-sig members. Only need one more signer! Suggestions/volunteers please!

Did you get all your multi-sig members all lined up? If no, go post on the DashNation slack channel and get this thing live and ready to go.

I recently discovered that superblocks can't pay out to multi-sig addresses. I need to go old school and find a trusted community member to act as escrow for my proposal.

I recently discovered that superblocks can't pay out to multi-sig addresses. I need to go old school and find a trusted community member to act as escrow for my proposal.

Well, as excited as I am about doing this ASAP, may as well do it right, cross the t's, dot the I's and have it work well the first time. Take your time, next month is almost as good as this month.

I want to see this happen asap and you should be able to figure this out quickly. We really need this to fight the trolling and this would help shut down misinformation real easy.

I did use coingun for a escrow for a proposal a while back. If i was to do it over i'd say anyone doing a escrow should get some sort of fee out of it - built into the proposal. It is some work but more it's a stress to be responsible for not losing the dash. Submitting proposals is stressful enough. This is also not part of the what the core is getting paid to as far as i understand. It is basically volunteering your own time to do this as a core member.

Last edited:
Thanks for the enthusiasm @ampp ! I plan to sort this out quickly so it can be put in this budget cycle. I have also recently thought about a nominal fee for escrow service. Perhaps 1% for non-insured escrow is reasonable?

I like this proposal. Combination PR move/bug bounty on an issue Dash can't lose on, all the while pointing out how flush the Dash treasury is. What better than to end XMR style propaganda than putting our money where our mouth is.

As long as you get some very high profile judges with the charity incentives, and distribute the promo far and wide, this looks really good. Creative and functional. I'd suggest a standalone landing page for this promo so that press sources can easily link to a full page of details/terms.

Back