• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Will Dash Evloution be Shoppable?

rafique

I have already reached out to both Evan and Andy regarding this question via email. I have also posted in two of the Dash Slack channels #development_lab and #evolution

My questions are as follows:

1. Will Dash Evolution be shoppable with an ecommerce layer?
2. How is Dash proposing to onboard merchants? Will the platform be Plug n Play or are they expecting merchants to migrant to Dash Evolution?

I haven't received a response to these questions so it seems that nobody actually knows if Dash Evolution will be shoppable at the moment.

If nobody knows if it will be shoppable then what is everybody working on??

Please shed some light and let me know.

I have already reached out to both Evan and Andy regarding this question via email. I have also posted in two of the Dash Slack channels #development_lab and #evolution

My questions are as follows:

1. Will Dash Evolution be shoppable with an ecommerce layer?
2. How is Dash proposing to onboard merchants? Will the platform be Plug n Play or are they expecting merchants to migrant to Dash Evolution?

I haven't received a response to these questions so it seems that nobody actually knows if Dash Evolution will be shoppable at the moment.

If nobody knows if it will be shoppable then what is everybody working on??

Please shed some light and let me know.

The Evolution whitepaper would be worth a read:
https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPaper-v13-v1.pdf

Short answers, yes, by being the best digital cash out there, whatever is best for merchants. To the best of my understanding ofc, the ecommerce end of things doesn't interest me as much as how Dash can be used to pay for regular stuff (the most viable cryptocurrency for retail btw) but a big chunk of the community is very focussed on ecommerce.

EDIT: That's quite an old doc and while the core is the same some things have changed. Naming for ex. InstantX is now InstantSend, DarkSend is now PrivateSend, etc.

So from what I see in the whitepaper is it will be from Merchant to Dash rather than an integrated shopping experience via DE?

Or have I missed something?

I would appreciate a definitive answer rather than an opinion. I am optimisitc about DASH and want it to succeed. The focus for me is whether DASH Evolution will be shoppable as I would like to make a proposal but want as much information about the platform before doing so.

Last edited:
So from what I see in the whitepaper is it will be from Merchant to Dash rather than an integrated shopping experience via DE?

Or have I missed something?

Integrated merchants are part of it, not sure what the plans are there though. The DAPI is the main part for the other way around, merchants integrating Dash. Kind of like the paymet widget is the wallet and that's all it needs, something like a "pay with paypal" button added to a page or site does the whole thing. Lots more to it than that but that's what that part would look like to the merchant, extremely simple.

Integrated merchants are part of it, not sure what the plans are there though. The DAPI is the main part for the other way around, merchants integrating Dash. Kind of like the paymet widget is the wallet and that's all it needs, something like a "pay with paypal" button added to a page or site does the whole thing. Lots more to it than that but that's what that part would look like to the merchant, extremely simple.

I get that, the thing is Dash could be missing an important part out of their platform if it is not a shoppable marketplace. They will find it extremely difficult to convince exsiting merchants to adopt them as a payment method on top of the ones they have already.

So my focus is and the focus of this thread is to establish whether Dash Evloution will be shoppable and how they intend to onboard merchants?

Either by a Plug n Play mechanism or will they expect merchants to migrate to their platform or some other method?

This is what I am trying to find out here.

Last edited:
I get that, the thing is Dash could be missing an important part out of their platform if it is not a shoppable marketplace. They will find it extremely difficult to convince exsiting merchants to adopt them as a payment method on top of the ones they have already.

shoppable content would be on the merchant side. merchants can use DAPI to list products so they could pull the info out like that. but an API can't be shoppable..unless you have a different meaning.

BTW welcome to Dash Forum and I never received any emails from you

Andy

So my focus is and the focus of this thread is to establish whether Dash Evloution will be shoppable and how they intend to onboard merchants?

Either by a Plug n Play mechanism or will they expect merchants to migrae to their platform or some other method?

This is what I am trying to find out here.

Lol. some degree of migration will be necessary, they're not suddenly going to find a "Pay with Dash" button on their site one morning or be abducted and force to sell goods for Dash ;) Like Andy says, could you explain what you mean by "shoppable"?

shoppable content would be on the merchant side. merchants can use DAPI to list products so they could pull the info out like that. but an API can't be shoppable..unless you have a different meaning.

BTW welcome to Dash Forum and I never received any emails from you

Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for joining the thread I sent an email to you and Evan on 30th June to your .org addresses maybe check your spam or junk folder :)

I wanted to run a proposal by you first as I think there might be potentially a way to make merchant adotion easier.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, will merchants be able to push products from their existing stores to be listed on Dash Evolution so users can make purchases without leaving DE?

If that is the case will the API also support pushing order information back to the merchant platform for fulfilment?

Done via the API of course?

Lol. some degree of migration will be necessary, they're not suddenly going to find a "Pay with Dash" button on their site one morning or be abducted and force to sell goods for Dash ;) Like Andy says, could you explain what you mean by "shoppable"?

Will Dash Evolution have a shopping cart ecommerce layer??

That's as laymen as it gets :)

Andy da man for this and hopefully a few others will pipe in, some merchant info on the wiki incase it's any help:
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Merchants

I've already checked that and realised it was written some time ago and is essentially putting the cart before the horse imo.

For Dash Evolution to attract exisitng ecommerce mercahnts the platform has to be a shoppable marketplace where users can make purchases without leaving DE.
When it comes to alterations of checkout pages on established ecommerce platforms merchants will be very reluctant to do so.

I've already checked that and realised it was written some time ago and is essentially putting the cart before the horse imo.

For Dash Evolution to attract exisitng ecommerce mercahnts the platform has to be a shoppable marketplace where users can make purchases without leaving DE.
When it comes to alterations of checkout pages on established ecommerce platforms merchants will be very reluctant to do so.

The trouble is the "without leaving DE" part. The DAPI means that boundary doesn't really exist, accessing a wallet and clicking on a widget are more or less the same thing. As to actual item listings, I've no idea. There are some vids and info giving examples of merchants within Evolution but I'm not sure where.

I disagree with this. Is cash "shoppable?" How about credit cards? Apple Pay and things like that? As long as it seamlessly connects to the merchant point-of-sale, it'll be a large step ahead of what's already out there.

Beware of "Evolution bloat" where people try to cram everything into one interface. Other projects and business solutions exist, and it's fine if we let them do their thing, as long as Dash interfaces with them in the end.

I disagree with this. Is cash "shoppable?" How about credit cards? Apple Pay and things like that? As long as it seamlessly connects to the merchant point-of-sale, it'll be a large step ahead of what's already out there.

Beware of "Evolution bloat" where people try to cram everything into one interface. Other projects and business solutions exist, and it's fine if we let them do their thing, as long as Dash interfaces with them in the end.
I think DASH Evolution will miss a massive market but it's not my project so I'll hold fire on my proposal since it doesn't support a shoppable inteface.
I will still look forward to shopping with Dash in traditional brick n mortar stores though :)

I think you will find it very difficult to convince ecommerce merchants to add anything to their shopping carts that will confuse users which will only make adoption on the ecommerce side slower.

It's the cart before the horse in my opinion (no pun intended).

Last edited:
The trouble is the "without leaving DE" part. The DAPI means that boundary doesn't really exist, accessing a wallet and clicking on a widget are more or less the same thing. As to actual item listings, I've no idea. There are some vids and info giving examples of merchants within Evolution but I'm not sure where.
So the answer is "No" it doesn't have an ecommerce shopping layer...

Was that intentionally missed out or just not thought of yet?

The question isn't if "DASH is shoppable" rather is "DASH Evolution shoppable"

Last edited:
It seems like nobody really understands the question or do not have a definitive answer but either way it is worrying :(

I think he is asking about the "Evolution marketplace", a term I have heard used sometimes by Evan and others. Evolution obviously is not responsible for selling products but the question seems to be more about what is the marketplace experience like when someone uses Evolution. Is there a decentralized, searchable marketplace stored in DashDrive? Or do merchants just add in a snippet on their own websites to integrate dash as a method of payment from an evolution wallet? (Trying to get at what the OP is actually asking here...)

The second question was about how Dash intends to onboard new merchants (or how does evolution bring merchants and customers together) and that has not yet been addressed in this thread.

Last edited:
I think he is asking about the "Evolution marketplace", a term I have heard used sometimes by Evan and others. Evolution obviously is not responsible for selling products but the question seems to be more about what is the marketplace experience like when someone uses Evolution. Is there a decentralized, searchable marketplace stored in DashDrive? Or do merchants just add in a snippet on their own websites to integrate dash as a method of payment from an evolution wallet?

Thanks for your understanding and clarity. I apologize if I wasn't as clear in posing the question.

The trouble with the current direction (if it is the case) in convincing merchants to add a new feature to their existing checkout will create another barrier for merchant adoption which make the current effort futile. However, If products can be made available to purchase on an "Evolution Marketplace" merchants will be more open to having their products made available for sale as it is a softer barrier to overcome - exisiting checkout implementations should come after when the payment technology is proven and merchants can see that customers are actually buying with Dash which will be measured through sales.

Asking them to add a feature to their checkout without proving it works is asking them to experiement with the technology and will likely lead to poor results.

Lets not forget overstock.com has been accepting bitcoin for years and still we haven't seen many merchants adopt it as an alternative form of payment this is because the cart has been put before the horse so to speak.

It seems like nobody really understands the question or do not have a definitive answer but either way it is worrying :(
Maybe you could help us understand "shoppable" can you give a clear description of what that means.

What would this look like for example a small online retailer that today uses wordpress woocommerce / paypal to sell artwork. How do you see them selling through evolution.

Back