• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Human Resources Consulting Project Wrap Up

Leonidas

Weird, I couldn't reply to @fernando 's post because of insufficient privilege : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/human-resources-consulting-project-wrap-up.14710/. Is it normal ?

Anyways, the post said : "AVT did a lot of research to determine what the market salaries were for the positions in the team. (...) The compensation analysis had to consider not only the profiles and roles, but also geographic location, which made it extra difficult. (...) As a result of this work we are happy to announce that all full time Core Team members are now paid full market salaries".

First, thanks for the updates.

Second, could we have more in depth details about the philosophy that was followed to decide the salaries ?

I understand that AVT has done some research for every position as compared to where the person was living. However, when that number was known, what was decided ? That the salary should be the same as the lowest quote from the market, the same as the average, the highest ?

Now that a HR process has started, I think that it's could to start thinking about how we would like our dash members to be paid.

My opinion is that organization is ok like that for the moment. However, I really would like that we had a deeper conversation about that. Many companies, strong companies have very different politics about salaries. Dash is unique and has proven that it could invent new ways of organization. So why should we stick with current ways of salaries politics and not create our own that everybody agrees on (for example I'm not sure I would take into account geography. That's my personal opinion, but that could be the one of manies)?

What do you guys think ?

Yes, it is normal that you couldn't reply to that thread. The idea of that subforum is to have only updates so someone can catch up quickly on things without needing to go through pages of discussion, that can be had anywhere else in the forum.

First, a couple of clarifications:

-This project was about HR for the core team, which is only one of the DAOs that work for Dash. The core team has no power over other DAOs and they are free to pay their contractors as they please because they are only accountable to the network.

-Specific decisions about salaries belong to the very private sphere of contractors and won't be shared or discussed publicly. The core team has the mandate to perform certain tasks and for that it hires people, but not everything is shared or public. We, the contractors, are just cogs in a machine. The network hires the machine, not the cogs. Ryan has shared some big magnitudes when making the proposals, going more granular would violate the privacy of many people.

Having said that, I can share a few things about our process:

-We were given brackets of compensation for each position. The final decision on each salary had many factors into consideration. We have tried to to pay everyone fairly. This means not to little and not too much, but if you want to attract top talent you can't be the cheapest in the market. Also deserves mention the fact that we can't provide any kind of benefit yet.

-Location has been considered. Some places in the world are very expensive. Other places provide no social services and employers usually pay more to compensate. The idea of ignoring location is tempting, but it is not realistic because people live in specific locations. If you don't adjust, you either limit yourself only to the cheapest locations, or you overpay a lot. We want neither.

Thank you very much for your answers.

-This project was about HR for the core team, which is only one of the DAOs that work for Dash. The core team has no power over other DAOs and they are free to pay their contractors as they please because they are only accountable to the network.

I totally understand that, and I fully agree with it given where we are in our network development progression.

However, I only did wanted to point out that, in the future, we could have a general voted strategy about HR processes so that each DAO could stick to it. Like that, the network would share its voice about how it believes remuneration should take place generally plus, doing so, each DAO won't need to contrat an HR team and go through all the work you guys have been doing (which could be an excellent point of departure).

Thank you very much for your answers.

I totally understand that, and I fully agree with it given where we are in our network development progression.

However, I only did wanted to point out that, in the future, we could have a general voted strategy about HR processes so that each DAO could stick to it. Like that, the network would share its voice about how it believes remuneration should take place generally plus, doing so, each DAO won't need to contrat an HR team and go through all the work you guys have been doing (which could be an excellent point of departure).
I'm not sure that is possible or even desirable. The only thing the governance system does, is to fund or not fund. We have used it in the past for general questions, but the reality is that there is no way to enforce that vote. I think that whoever makes a question to the network is bound by the result, but nobody else. Then, if that person/team/entity doesn't respect the result, the network can pull all funding from other proposals by the same person/team/entity. Of course, any responsible actor in the ecosystem should listen to questions to the network made by others (also to comments in social media, forums, and any other way the community uses), but the system does not force coherence among different proposals/questions, so each approved proposal is a mandate to the proposing party by itself and unaltered by other proposals.

The only thing the governance system does, is to fund or not fund. We have used it in the past for general questions, but the reality is that there is no way to enforce that vote

Of course there is no way to enforce the vote. However, I still believe that it is important. If, let's say, the Masternode network would vote agree through a proposal that no one in any DAO should be paid less than xxx $/hour, that would be a great official indicator for the Masternode to make their decision on continuing funding a DAO that don't respect that. If think in the end we are saying pretty much the same.

As nothing can be enforced, I believe the better option is to use the highest symbolic reference to influentiate decision and actions in the community. And this is the Masternode network.

Back