• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to run dash client on linux tails

wevifediku

How to run dash client on linux tails

I run tails from an USB with a persistent volume. How do I run dash from it?

I downloaded the dash file for linux, I get a TGZ file, but when I open the TGZ, nothing happens.
The tails system asks me with which application I want to open the files in the TGZ.

I am a linux noob. Please assist. Is there a download which I can click and open? I would like all my dash files in ONE folder, so I can back up everything (the blockchain and wallet) with one copy and paste.

The paper is 822 pages , OMG, is their not a simpler way? Just a folder I can download? Sorry for being a noob, but the paper is really a lot and complicated. Still i will study it, but I hope there is a file somehwere I can download and click. Why is it so difficult to run a wallet on linux? shouldn't be so complicated!!

i know - totally hear you - sorry
best is to study the ... (how do u call that) tree / beginning of doc / listing of all chapters ... u know what i mean and take it from there ;)

wallet on linux is no probs
download debian version from dash.org and boom

how to install
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/x/kIAc

This thread should help you too https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/linux-wallet-download-installation-guide.3901/
Note that:

so you need to extract files first and then use terminal to launch Dash wallet in Tails like any other cmd-line binary i.e. cd to its folder and then "./dash-qt"

I tried this in Tails, but it does not work. I tried this in Linux mint and it did work.
In tails it gives me an error, something like that there is no command.
Also I am not able to browse to the right folder in tails because it always gives me the error that the directory does not exist, so I have to place the dash-qt in the home folder, which is also not workable, because the home folder is not persistent.
I guess I have to read 822 pages :)

By the way, respect for the person that wrote these papers!

total respect to him - i agree

i suggest - download pdf - do. a search for tails and with that you should be able to narrow this down
but then - it is x mas - time off - might be a great opportunity to read 822 pages of highly technical talk ;)

My suggestion...
Play with dash using a standard linux first as was suggested before. Get your feet wet with how you do things in the Linux-verse, you don't even need to exchange dash there yet, or do it just temporarily. Once you feel comfortable with that, try to dive into Tails. Tails is non-trivial and assumes a lot about the user of Tails. :)

My suggestion...
Play with dash using a standard linux first as was suggested before. Get your feet wet with how you do things in the Linux-verse, you don't even need to exchange dash there yet, or do it just temporarily. Once you feel comfortable with that, try to dive into Tails. Tails is non-trivial and assumes a lot about the user of Tails. :)

Problem is that I am a big investor and have many masternodes. I now use windows but I do not feel safe. I already tried linux mint, which is OK. but I really want to try tails. I started with that document but I think that document will be a week long study at least. And the search and scan I did, didnt make me any wiser.

If there is anyone who could make me a step for step (detailed) instruction(if even possible) how to install dash on tails in a persistent folder, I will pay 20 DASH.

In tails it gives me an error, something like that there is no command.
Also I am not able to browse to the right folder in tails because it always gives me the error that the directory does not exist
That's weird.. Make sure you configured persistent volume AND rebooted.

Ok, I tried that myself and here is a step by step guide:
1. Download dash linux 32 bit via Tor Browser https://www.dash.org/binaries/dash-0.12.0.58-linux32.tar.gz
2. Open "Downloads" in Tor Browser menu
3. Right click line with "dash-0.12.0.58-linux32.tar.gz", click "Open Containing Folder"
4. Right click dash-0.12.0.58-linux32.tar.gz file, click "Extract here", open dash-0.12.0, open bin
5. Open "Persistent" folder, drag'n'drop dash-qt here from bin in step (4)
6. Open Terminal, type "mkdir ~/Persistent/.dash" and hit enter
7. Type "~/Persistent/dash-qt -datadir=/home/amnesia/Persistent/.dash -proxy=127.0.0.1:9050" in Terminal and hit enter - wallet should open and start downloading blocks

Note: .dash folder is not visible in nautilus, if you need to open it to copy wallet.dat or to use bootstrap.dat or to grab backups or whatever, you need to open Terminal, type "nautilus ~/Persistent/.dash/" and hit enter. If you want it to be visible you can give data folder another name e.g. "Dash" (simply replace ".dash" with "Dash" in steps 6 and 7 above).

Reactions: daf
Hi UdjinM6
thank you for the NOOB proof tutorial. I wish for more of these noob proof easy step by step tutorials, it will help a lot! Your method worked, my mistake was that I used the 64 bit version!
I can send dash to XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6 right?

there is one problem left..
Every time I restart tails and dash-qt, all my settings are reset, which is not a big problem, but is there a way that my settings are saved when I start the dash-QT? The wallet and blockchain are saved, but settings not.

Happy holidays to everyone ;)

Hi UdjinM6
thank you for the NOOB proof tutorial. I wish for more of these noob proof easy step by step tutorials, it will help a lot! Your method worked, my mistake was that I used the 64 bit version!
I can send dash to XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6 right?

there is one problem left..
Every time I restart tails and dash-qt, all my settings are reset, which is not a big problem, but is there a way that my settings are saved when I start the dash-QT? The wallet and blockchain are saved, but settings not.

Happy holidays to everyone ;)

Cool! Glad it helped :)

Sadly GUI settings are saved in os/platform specific location which cannot be moved afaik. You can override some settings by adding them to command-line or by saving them them in dash.conf file in dash datadir folder (i.e. ~Persistent/.dash/dash.conf in this case) e.g. you can add line "proxy=127.0.0.1:9050" to it and dash-qt will always use proxy (i.e. you'll be able to run it by specifying datadir only "~/Persistent/dash-qt -datadir=/home/amnesia/Persistent/.dash"). You can see the list of such settings in Help -> Command-line options.

Re tip: yep, you can use that one, thanks! :)

PS. and thanks for reporting back!

Problem is that I am a big investor and have many masternodes. I now use windows but I do not feel safe. I already tried linux mint, which is OK. but I really want to try tails. I started with that document but I think that document will be a week long study at least. And the search and scan I did, didnt make me any wiser.

If there is anyone who could make me a step for step (detailed) instruction(if even possible) how to install dash on tails in a persistent folder, I will pay 20 DASH.

This, is the proper option, IMO.
A "big investor and have many masternodes" is a quite serious matter requiring management skills.
Programming and IT work is a separate and distinct function.
I hope you are able to engage a competent person you may trust.
rc

UdjinM6 tip paid, thanks a lot, i appreciate the help.

rustycase: Holger manages my masternodes, I pay him and he manages all my masternodes. I just need a safe place to keep my wallet, and do some trading at the same time. Tails is perfect, makes a backup very easy, it is anonymous, it is safe, without having to trust anyone, without complications! I do not think I need anything else, or do I see it incorrectly? anyone who corrects me and gives me advise that is really of help for me, I will send him a payment.

Last edited:
hi guys! thanks in advance.... have the methods of installing the dash wallet on to TAILS perhaps changed ?

(i feel like i have been banging my head on a wall trying to install the wallet on tails) .... any help or referral will be so so highly appreciated. cheers!

@jimmyjames111 I saw you posting everywhere! Let's take this forward on this thread.

Maybe you could start by describing where you are running into problems? Did you try following these up to date guides:

GUI installation: https://docs.dash.org/en/latest/wallets/dashcore/installation-linux.html
SSH installation: https://docs.dash.org/en/latest/masternodes/setup.html (just ignore any steps related to transfers and masternode starting)

Hey mate. Thanks heaps for that info. I managed to get it working so glad.

However the only issue is that now the wallet is not syncing. It has been approx 4 hours and I have steady internet. But it is still on 0% just 'calculating'. Any help would be so amazingly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

Please provide more details on the version of the wallet you are using and whether you are on mainnet or testnet. Then check your network is configured correctly. You could try to use the

addnode "node" "add|remove|onetry"

command to add a known good masternode from e.g. dashninja.pl if you are having problems finding good nodes.

Back