• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Force - Dash Community Energizer

InTheWoods

Foundation Member
Problem

Dash doesn’t have a strong enough visible presence on social media when it comes to active social media engagement and that can be a problem at times. If you take a look at the comments posted in response to Brian Armstrong, the Coinbase CEO’s recent reddit post, that suggests Coinbase is moving towards integrating other cryptocurrencies, Dash was totally absent there and it's not for the lack of a big community. It's because paid activists of a rival projects swoop in and stole the spotlight. It also lead to an article where Dash isn't even mentioned. Dash didn’t manage to get enough Stackexchange.com votes for the same reason. The community just wasn’t motivated enough to get actively engaged. To provide another concrete example, the Overstock CEO of the US retailer Overstock, Patrick Byrne, issued a community challenge, asking which 2.0 Crypto platform is the best one and in that case, following a strong community showing, Counterparty was selected because it had the most vocal community. Dash stands to lose a lot by not having a vocal active community presence on social media and the previously mentioned Coinbase reddit interaction or lack thereof is a good example of that.

It would seem the average age of the Dash community is higher than that of other crypto communities and that doesn't play in our favor at times when it comes to active outreach.
The high barrier to entry when it comes to owning a masternode could be a reason why this is the case. The young, social media savvy active people, have less disposable income according to statistics and are less likely to be actively involved with Dash. The older population tends to be more lethargic on social media and less engaged than the younger generation.

Perception is reality, as they say. This is especially true in the cryptocurrency space. If you're not out there creating it, others will do it for you and most often than not it won't be in your favor. PR agencies work to some extent, but they are slow to react, and bureaucratic and don't have what it takes to work in the current environment and tackle some of the challenges, where active engagement on Reddit, for example, is often more important than articles that may appear sterile and unimpressive. Often, the comment section is way more important than the article itself. For example, you can have a bunch of Dash pieces, but 2-3 negative comments placed there by competitors, set on ruining Dash to prop up themselves, is often more than enough to nullify all the positive of that press release or Dash related article, especially when no Dash community members step in to engage them with sensible counter arguments.

Solution

I've put together a team of Dash activists. Our aim is to be actively engaged on social media and to fight for Dash wherever & whenever it would be required. Other projects have well organized teams conducting such efforts in an effective manner. Our Dash Force team will be limited to 7 members. Our team won't be about making social media announcements. There are folks already handling that. Our aim is active engagement, reddit discussions, forums, twitter engagement, article comments. We also aim to weed out Dash disinformation wherever we find it because there's plenty of it and to present the Dash value proposition in a positive manner.

We will also combine this proactive approach with the Swarm model that was used quite successfully by NXT in the past. All community members, aside from our main team. will be encouraged to link, retweet, post, like and engage in exchange for small Dash tips. A series of bounties will be created in order to achieve this goal of getting community members engaged. A screenshot proof or link to their social media contribution will have to be posted in a dedicated document or in a dedicated chat channel.

This approach will be very cost effective. I believe that having a strong social media presence can go a long way and have a big impact on how Dash is perceived as a project. Not being seen or heard on social media can create a negative perception, that of a project that doesn’t have a strong following. Bitcoin managed to get where it is now because it had a hardcore community following of crypto enthusiasts. Dash Force aims to be the engine driving community growth by energizing and mobilizing the Dash community.

175 Dash will be allocated to pay 7 active Dash Force members who will be the bread and butter of this community activist effort and will also act as community coordinators.
100 Dash will be reserved for Dash Swarms, an organized effort to incentivize all community members to get actively engaged in the Dash Force community outreach efforts.

The following article written by The Desert Lynx goes into detail to explain why such organized community efforts make sensehttp://thedashtimes.com/2016/09/26/cryptocurrency-needs-activists/

The Dash Force team consists of the following members:

InTheWoods - Dash slack owner and mod
The Desert Lynx - known crypto journalist
Macrochip - Dash slack mod, Dashpay reddit mod
SovereignBTC - Sovereign BTC podcast author
Tao - active Dash community member who runs the TaoOfSatoshi Twitter account
Elisha - Dash Times owner and author
Buster - Darq.io/The Cryptoreport author and Dash publick slack owner/mod

Proposal URL: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/Dash-Force

Last edited:
Absolutely in favor (but then again I'm obviously biased). The tech behind Dash is solid, it should just be a simple push of more exposure to start seriously creeping in on Bitcoin's territory. I think a nice, concentrated push by a few good evangelists is all it would take to get Dash positioned to be one of the top cryptos before Evolution even comes out.

how do we know this will not 'drift off' into trolling / bad language / harassing other coins / .... as other communities have shown using these kind of efforts ? :rolleyes:

how do we know this will not 'drift off' into trolling / bad language / harassing other coins / .... as other communities have shown using these kind of efforts ? :rolleyes:

Resolve not to do it....? lol

Seriously, in the troll/hate game, even if we set out to do that, we'd be far behind, too far to catch up. We already know who the troll kings are. The way Dash wins is through honesty and decency. The community/tech/adoption/stability/etc. is already there to make a winner. We just need more consistent, persistent exposure.

Resolve not to do it....? lol

Seriously, in the troll/hate game, even if we set out to do that, we'd be far behind, too far to catch up. We already know who the troll kings are. The way Dash wins is through honesty and decency. The community/tech/adoption/stability/etc. is already there to make a winner. We just need more consistent, persistent exposure.

Exactly !
i totally agree and am NOT pushing to go there (negative) at all - the opposite (positive, professional well 'behaved' is the way forward!
still question is how do we 'enforce' that (none trolling, professional comments, no harazements, no foul language,....) are used ?
emotions take over and then .... know what i mean ;)

Exactly !
i totally agree and am NOT pushing to go there (negative) at all - the opposite (positive, professional well 'behaved' is the way forward!
still question is how do we 'enforce' that (none trolling, professional comments, no harazements, no foul language,....) are used ?
emotions take over and then .... know what i mean ;)

It's easy to control the 7. For one, they have already been hand-picked by the project lead to properly represent the Dash community. Second, if they screw up after the first month, the project can either be defunded or a lone offending member can be booted.

As for the "swarms" that crop up around, there's no iron-fisted way of controlling what every Dash supporter ever will say. The best course of action is to have the 7 set a positive example that attracts others of the kind, as well as reward good swarm members with attention.

There's a bunch of good info here in Swarmwise on how to deal with "mavericks" when you're trying to lead a swarm activism effort:
http://falkvinge.net/files/2013/04/Swarmwise-2013-by-Rick-Falkvinge-v1.1-2013Sep01.pdf

no offence
but i have seen some crazy things in my day here
and obviously there are many different opinions and styles in "how to" approach that !

if the 7 are "easy to control' than ok ...
but just remember , ("Second, if they screw up after the first month...") by then the damage is already done and Dash gets another 'bad reputation budget'
question is how to control that before hand (and before that kid is in the well again)

i will be quiet now, just had to express my concerns ;)

Edit:
last 'disaster' with M... community trickery - Dash Community had to use our own funds to solve that again ! i really do NOT wanna go through this again !

Last edited:
no offence
but i have seen some crazy things in my day here
and obviously there are many different opinions and styles in "how to" approach that !

if the 7 are "easy to control' than ok ...
but just remember , ("Second, if they screw up after the first month...") by then the damage is already done and Dash gets another 'bad reputation budget'
question is how to control that before hand (and before that kid is in the well again)

i will be quiet now, just had to express my concerns ;)

Understandable, and it definitely is a valid question to ask when people are asking for money. Everything has a risk vs. reward proposition. I think the masternode holders will be very pleased with the results.

@tungfa

All the people included in this team are and have been hardcore Dash supporters. Your last edit is a direct jab at one of the team members. That member has his faults and made his share of mistakes, just like the rest of us. I believe what he brings to the table more than compensates for his shortcomings. Other community members can testify to that.

Dash Force will be a well coordinated team effort. No one member will wonder off and do his own thing.

I say let bygones be bygones and let's try and bury the hatchet. What say you? I would also like to invite you to join the Dash public slack.

@tungfa

All the people included in this team are and have been hardcore Dash supporters. Your last edit is a direct jab at one of the team members. That member has his faults and made his share of mistakes, just like the rest of us. I believe what he brings to the table more than compensates for his shortcomings. Other community members can testify to that.

Dash Force will be a well coordinated team effort. No one member will wonder off and do his own thing.

I say let bygones be bygones and let's try and bury the hatchet. What say you? I would also like to invite you to join the Dash public slack.

no hatches here - just concerns
(i have to put somewhere as everybody else) :rolleyes:

Invite ? Anytime please
[email protected]

tx man

This is something that is definitely needed. I do however have similar concerns as Tungfa.

As Tungfa said, we need to be seen as a positive professional community and that means absolutely no trolling, swearing or anything like that.

If you guys could lay down some guidelines/rules (no trolling, no swearing) and promise if anyone breaks those guidelines/rules that they will be off the team, then I would feel a whole lot better about this.

If you can promise to address what I have mentioned above then you have my vote.

P.S. Do you have any way of measuring the results of this proposal?

It's a public Slack bro! Don't want to spam your inbox -- http://dashchat.co feel free to let yourself in! We have cookies :D And maybe coingun could use some help :)

Nonsense ! The great Tungfa is always too busy, I made it easy on him and already sent an invite to that email for him. Surely he will join shortly, being the Core Social Media Guy and what not. @tungfa, welcome you are merely member #813 if you join quickly.

And to everyone knocking me, surely all these 'rules' are going to apply to other people right? Or just me? What about the other community representatives? I recall lots of talk about "my mental state" and so on, surely that would qualify as trolling, no? @coingun just today called me quite a few words I'd rather not repeat, surely he should be punished as he is a core member, no?

I will happily not be a part of this if it's that big of an issue, I'd rather the community actually get up and do something then deal with people being concerned with me. So whether or not I am on this team shouldn't matter to you, vote for @InTheWoods, I'm but a pawn in this plan to make up for the lack of coordination and supporters in Dash.

Nonsense ! The great Tungfa is always too busy, I made it easy on him and already sent an invite to that email for him. Surely he will join shortly, being the Core Social Media Guy and what not. @tungfa, welcome you are merely member #813 if you join quickly.

And to everyone knocking me, surely all these 'rules' are going to apply to other people right? Or just me? What about the other community representatives? I recall lots of talk about "my mental state" and so on, surely that would qualify as trolling, no? @coingun just today called me quite a few words I'd rather not repeat, surely he should be punished as he is a core member, no?

easy eh
no offence but
I have a kid and a job and a life as well
yes I will join but am now out for the day (as it is daytime - work hours here)

invite reveived !

This is something that is definitely needed. I do however have similar concerns as Tungfa.

As Tungfa said, we need to be seen as a positive professional community and that means absolutely no trolling, swearing or anything like that.

If you guys could lay down some guidelines/rules (no trolling, no swearing) and promise if anyone breaks those guidelines/rules that they will be off the team, then I would feel a whole lot better about this.

If you can promise to address what I have mentioned above then you have my vote.

P.S. Do you have any way of measuring the results of this proposal?

It would be counterproductive to what we want to achieve to act that way.

When it comes to metrics, I believe the increased social media activity will be quite obvious but we'll do our best to post detailed reports and make it as transparent as possible.

This proposal is really important. A few ideas come to mind. The stack exchange was a project that took longer than expected. It was only from the efforts from the several of the members in this proposal that we actually got past the first phase. There are many times when comments are put on Reddit that get downvoted quickly. This type of swarm activity can keep the positive Dash comments where they should be and make the entire community appear more engaging.

I will happily not be a part of this if it's that big of an issue, I'd rather the community actually get up and do something then deal with people being concerned with me. So whether or not I am on this team shouldn't matter to you, vote for @InTheWoods, I'm but a pawn in this plan to make up for the lack of coordination and supporters in Dash.
No need to step down. I just want to make sure things are in place before we do something like this as if they aren't then we could quite easily start looking like Moneros swarm group.

It would be counterproductive to what we want to achieve to act that way.

When it comes to metrics, I believe the increased social media activity will be quite obvious but we'll do our best to post detailed reports and make it as transparent as possible.

Awesome, you guys have my vote. Good luck!

No need to step down. I just want to make sure things are in place before we do something like this as if they aren't then we could quite easily start looking like Moneros swarm group.

Awesome, you guys have my vote. Good luck!

Thanks! :)

By the way, I should like to point out that, while not the angle we'd ever want to take, the Monero swarm managed to achieve its ends. It seems like they were relentless enough to succeed in spite of (not because of) undesirable behavior. Moral of the story: bad behavior is bad, but not as bad as inaction.

175 Dash will be allocated to pay 7 active Dash Force members who will be the bread and butter of this community activist effort and will also act as community coordinators.

Please could you name these 7 members of team (with info about results of their previous Dash-activity, if available).
It will help to understand the style and potential of this team. Thanks.

Back