• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Evolution Development - Subcontractors (Oct)

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from www.dashcentral.org/p/evo-dev-gen-201610

This proposal provides continued funding for additional subcontracted development resources to accelerate the delivery of Evolution. The original proposal can be found here: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-evolution-development-subcontractors.9736/

For the second month in a row, we only require a partial month of funding. Because we were able to complete the X11 Hash Port proposal for less than initially budgeted, we were able to redirect leftover funds toward the Evolution Development Subcontractors budget. As outlined in that proposal, unused funds were to be directed towards this purpose.

We are currently supporting 7 developers including one hourly, four part-time, and two full-time roles with these funds, beyond funding provided by the core team budget.

Requested funding is as follows for the October 5th budget cycle:
Total: 250.39 Dash

Note: Any unused funds from this Dash-Evolution development funding will be directed toward other development expenses.

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 14c752743f0dba74e5ee0f584cebfc24786f2638a0f20cf9a0bd5f492f2e839e yes
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 14c752743f0dba74e5ee0f584cebfc24786f2638a0f20cf9a0bd5f492f2e839e yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 14c752743f0dba74e5ee0f584cebfc24786f2638a0f20cf9a0bd5f492f2e839e no
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 14c752743f0dba74e5ee0f584cebfc24786f2638a0f20cf9a0bd5f492f2e839e no

So just how much is evolution development going to cost? Do we have a running tally?

And who are these devs? Do we get to talk to them? Or just you?

So just how much is evolution development going to cost? Do we have a running tally?

And who are these devs? Do we get to talk to them? Or just you?
We have committed to providing quarterly financial reports at a proposal level, so you will receive quarterly "tallies" of the expenses specific to Evolution and remaining balances within each budget. The original proposal anticipated $10,000 a month, but our actual run rate is a bit lower (I believe about $8,000 at current exchange rates). That is part of the reason we've been asking for less funds each month recently.

You will have to ask @AndyDark if you have a need to discuss something with his team. I suspect that unless there is a specific need, he would prefer they focus on their assigned tasks.

We have committed to providing quarterly financial reports at a proposal level, so you will receive quarterly "tallies" of the expenses specific to Evolution and remaining balances within each budget. The original proposal anticipated $10,000 a month, but our actual run rate is a bit lower (I believe about $8,000 at current exchange rates). That is part of the reason we've been asking for less funds each month recently.

You will have to ask @AndyDark if you have a need to discuss something with his team. I suspect that unless there is a specific need, he would prefer they focus on their assigned tasks.

I just want to know whos who and whos doing what so we can have a little foresight into how this is going, simply saying we spent XXX on 7 devs and would like to continue to do so to build evolution, in my opinion is not nearly enough information.

I just want to know whos who and whos doing what so we can have a little foresight into how this is going, simply saying we spent XXX on 7 devs and would like to continue to do so to build evolution, in my opinion is not nearly enough information.
I'm afraid I'm not intimately familiar with who is working on what tasks. You really would need to ask Andy directly. We have a wide variety of skills within the team including several node.js developers, CSS, LESS, HTML, backbone/react, Wordpress, and backend / C++.

I'm afraid I'm not intimately familiar with who is working on what tasks. You really would need to ask Andy directly. We have a wide variety of skills within the team including several node.js developers, CSS, LESS, HTML, backbone/react, Wordpress, and backend / C++.

Does that mean you don't know who the developers are? I'm not particularly interested in exactly what everyone is doing every day, but you're saying we need to reach out to AndyDark to even find out who they are? It doesn't seem to me like this would be a difficult thing to answer, especially since you've already provided this level of detail "We are currently supporting 7 developers including one hourly, four part-time, and two full-time roles with these funds, beyond funding provided by the core team budget." unless you're just copying something Andy had you write...

Is it that unreasonable to expect people who are being funded from the blockchain, to be able to come out of their hardcore 24/7 programming prison and interact with the real world, maybe say hello?

Lol bro dont buzz word me pls.

CSS/HTML/WORDPRESS/LESS = Web Designer

node.js/backbone/react = javascript

c++ = c++

Thats 3 skill sets. Could be covered by 3 people. We have 7. And we don't know a thing about them yet? Cmon guys. I know you can do better than this.

Who does what? @AndyDark? This is quite the expensive software project thus far. Some metrics would be helpful along with dev profiles and intros please. If you could go above and beyond this request and provide other valuable information we'd all be very greatful. These proposals have gotten shorter and more and more are based on trust each month as opposed to metrics and success.

edit: @kot mind doing one of your amazing reports and have it be about cash spent to date and some sort of scale that shows how far we have come compared to how long we expect evolution to take and what not please?

Lol bro dont buzz word me pls.

CSS/HTML/WORDPRESS/LESS = Web Designer

node.js/backbone/react = javascript

c++ = c++

Thats 3 skill sets. Could be covered by 3 people. We have 7. And we don't know a thing about them yet? Cmon guys. I know you can do better than this.

Who does what? @AndyDark? This is quite the expensive software project thus far. Some metrics would be helpful along with dev profiles and intros please. If you could go above and beyond this request and provide other valuable information we'd all be very greatful. These proposals have gotten shorter and more and more are based on trust each month as opposed to metrics and success.

you need to speak to the proposal owner :) it's up to them what they reveal on a particular proposal. there is nothing in the protocol that forces proposers to have to reveal how they spend the money. That would have to be dealt with at a governance level.

In terms of the Evo team... it's up to them whether they want to come here and interact publically. Some of the devs are anonymous and don't want that, some are already posting here, and everyone is on github :)

you need to speak to the proposal owner :) it's up to them what they reveal on a particular proposal. there is nothing in the protocol that forces proposers to have to reveal how they spend the money. That would have to be dealt with at a governance level.

In terms of the Evo team... it's up to them whether they want to come here and interact publically. Some of the devs are anonymous and don't want that, some are already posting here, and everyone is on github :)

Wow.

I'll see myself out.

It's like pulling teeth to get the most basic answers out of you both. Is it amusing to be pointing fingers at each other and giving us the runaround?
Just want to ask the MNOs how they would view a similar proposal like this coming from the outside (non-core), where proposal owner and project owner are wasting everyone's time

Back