• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Foundation Donation

If MNs dont elect the next foundation members, then who will?

The Foundation Members. Those are the ones entitled with the right to elect the board to their Foundation. If they want to, they could maybe "agree" to concede one (or a couple of) vote to the Masternodes (as a symbolic gesture or whatever), though.

Each country has got its own laws, and very specific rules (the US law will not rule all other global jurisdictions - no matter how hard the US tries to). So, it could be quite a heavy burden for the Foundation to take care of it on its own. It would make more sense that each merchant/exchange "do their own homework" and hire their own trusted local legal couselor.

Anyway, if the Foundation needs an attorney in Brazil: www.liborio.adv.br ...:cool:

Huge Bonus points awarded here !
This, is the best reason for DASH service to remain apolitical.
P2P. Quickly, efficiently, securely, and a nonny mouse !

Best
rc

What better use could there be for un-used funds than the devoted Foundation ?

Best
rc

I can think of a couple of things but most importantly i dont like proposals that are created so short before new superblocks and with so little time to discuss it.
I call that taking unfair advantage of the budget system.

edit : in fact i wouldn't mind a restriction on the start date of budget proposals, they should not start a week before the next superblock in order to have a decent amount of discussion time.

Last edited:
I can think of a couple of things but most importantly i dont like proposals that are created so short before new superblocks and with so little time to discuss it.
I call that taking unfair advantage of the budget system.

edit : in fact i wouldn't mind a restriction on the start date of budget proposals, they should not start a week before the next superblock in order to have a decent amount of discussion time.

So you would propose a filing deadline ?
...That does not seem unreasonable, to me...
5 DASH and you may put it up for vote !
...Same for your other ideas... write 'em up !
:)
rc

What concerns me are the consequences if legal advice goes against dash's wishes in AML / KYC...

"Legal" does vary by jurisdiction.
Perhaps some functions of a DASH wallet would not be operational or even visible in every geopolitical location ???

Anther option would be the dark side of the force...
We all know how the empire feels about the rebel alliance.

rc

This is a good idea and could prevent a whale from abusing budget system.

Just an update for everyone on this proposal. While the proposal had enough net votes at the time the budget finalized, there was room in the budget for it, and some masternode commands were including it (such as the "mnbudget projection" command)... nonetheless it was not included in the final budget. The mnbudget projection command outputted:

},
"found-donate-210608" : {
"URL" : "www.dashwhale.org/p/found-donate-210608",
"Hash" : "10595c5f451bea07df631cf2333e35ce0e6163e6dcc8f1203512b278741601be",
"BlockStart" : 515096,
"BlockEnd" : 540020,
"TotalPaymentCount" : 1,
"RemainingPaymentCount" : 1,
"PaymentAddress" : "XfdeSpyao5RsuXs5aBRH4EayjGjdXHBMP8",
"Ratio" : 0.77146312,
"Yeas" : 637,
"Nays" : 189,
"Abstains" : 0,
"TotalPayment" : 124.17000000,
"MonthlyPayment" : 124.17000000,
"Alloted" : 124.17000000,
"TotalBudgetAlloted" : 7449.79000000,
"IsValid" : true,
"IsValidReason" : "",
"fValid" : true
}

I have spoken with Evan about it and it seems that some error in the code might be checking for the valid list of budgets in one list; while the code checks the list against mnbudget projection (to make sure it is included) it doesn't also check that everything in "projection" is included in the final budget. So there might be a small rounding error in the code that can prevent the last one on the list from paying under special circumstances. That area of the code is very complex, so it may take some time to correct, but given 12.1 is around the corner, we might skip addressing this bug altogether.

In any case, thank you for the support, and for passing the proposal. It is unfortunate it failed to pay as directed by the network. We'll hopefully be able to include more legal funding in the future, so that we can start addressing critical legal questions for our potential business partners.

@babygiraffe I think you may have assumed that the total budget available on Dashwhale was accurate. Blocks vary in amount so the final budget isn't always going to match the estimate. Leave yourself a few Dash open and it probably won't happen again.

@babygiraffe I think you may have assumed that the total budget available on Dashwhale was accurate. Blocks vary in amount so the final budget isn't always going to match the estimate. Leave yourself a few Dash open and it probably won't happen again.
No, it was confirmed to fit and we have gone right up to that exact same value before without issue. I did not use Dashwhale's number (which actually rounds down anyway), but rather calculated it. I think the lesson is correct though, going right up to the line may introduce a bug in 12.0, so next time we might round down to a whole Dash or whatever.

Just an update for everyone on this proposal. While the proposal had enough net votes at the time the budget finalized, there was room in the budget for it, and some masternode commands were including it (such as the "mnbudget projection" command)... nonetheless it was not included in the final budget. The mnbudget projection command outputted:
I have spoken with Evan about it and it seems that some error in the code might be checking for the valid list of budgets in one list; while the code checks the list against mnbudget projection (to make sure it is included) it doesn't also check that everything in "projection" is included in the final budget. So there might be a small rounding error in the code that can prevent the last one on the list from paying under special circumstances. That area of the code is very complex, so it may take some time to correct, but given 12.1 is around the corner, we might skip addressing this bug altogether.

In any case, thank you for the support, and for passing the proposal. It is unfortunate it failed to pay as directed by the network. We'll hopefully be able to include more legal funding in the future, so that we can start addressing critical legal questions for our potential business partners.

No, it doesn't work that way, there is no rounding error in the code and it doesn't have to make sure that everything from projection is included. At the end of the cycle someone must put finalized budget(s) on the network and usually it's Evan (or a script he runs) but can be really anyone who is willing to pay finalized budget fee. All this means is that finalized budget must include only items from "mnbudget projection" output and if it does then masternodes vote on it. There can be several competing legit finalized budgets however and the one that have most items with most priorities included wins. What caused you proposal not to be included is most likely that finalized budget was formed before your proposal got enough support and no additional finalized budget was submitted after that. iirc finalized budgets are usually created in advance of 2 days before the end of the cycle or smth like that so that votes of all masternodes were clearly submitted to the best finalized budget and not to any other "incomplete" one.

No, it doesn't work that way, there is no rounding error in the code and it doesn't have to make sure that everything from projection is included. At the end of the cycle someone must put finalized budget(s) on the network and usually it's Evan (or a script he runs) but can be really anyone who is willing to pay finalized budget fee. All this means is that finalized budget must include only items from "mnbudget projection" output and if it does then masternodes vote on it. There can be several competing legit finalized budgets however and the one that have most items with most priorities included wins. What caused you proposal not to be included is most likely that finalized budget was formed before your proposal got enough support and no additional finalized budget was submitted after that. iirc finalized budgets are usually created in advance of 2 days before the end of the cycle or smth like that so that votes of all masternodes were clearly submitted to the best finalized budget and not to any other "incomplete" one.
So all we had to do was run finalize budget one more time and it would have included it? Because we did have 11% support exactly 24 hours before the budget payout.

So all we had to do was run finalize budget one more time and it would have included it? Because we did have 11% support exactly 24 hours before the budget payout.
If my guess about what actually happened is right then yep, that's all what we had to do.

Back