• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Conference & Travel (Aug)

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from www.dashwhale.org/p/cnftl-sm-swag-201608

This proposal seeks funding for addition conference expenses for the Conferences & Travel budget. There are several items included in this budget.

First, there were several expenses for the d10e conference for which we are seeking reimbursement. There are some leftovers that will also be used at the Atlanta Blockchain Meetup. These items include:
- Color double-sided hardstock handouts / brochures
- Conference swag (bags, notebooks)
- Dash signage

Second, @oaxaca incurred expenses to package and ship the soda machine that exceeded the original estimate of $1,200.00. Because the machine was picked up at a rural location, the shipper required packaging, and both the origin and destination lacked loading docks, there were significant additional charges. Actual costs ended up at $1,750.00. An additional $550.00 is therefore owed to oaxaca.

Oaxaca incurred additional expenses such as fuel, mileage, soda stocking costs, and parking... not to mention an enormous amount of time and sweat to store, load, and unload the machine (and then back to his house again). He will not be charging us for those direct costs, nor for his time. So a big thank you to oaxaca for all the effort and donated expenses!

EDIT: @buster deserves a special shout-out as well for helping transport the machine, and submitted pictures and video to allow us all to remotely "be there". He also purchased a router extender, and skipped the social events the first night of the conference to get it all working. What an awesome community!

Third, the soda machine has been a valuable resource for Dash at conferences to both attract thirsty conference-goers to our booth, and engage them in using InstantSend and learning how it functions. We would like to continue using the soda machine at future events, but it is in need of minor maintenance. For the time being, oaxaca is storing the machine for us, but would like his garage space back. We see two options to effectively utilize the soda machine in the future. Both options (which I will outline below) require moving the machine to Arizona and quickly servicing it. Therefore, we would like to request funding to ship the machine to Arizona and have it maintained. A coolant recharge is expected to cost about $140.00. Oaxaca saved the packaging from the shipment from Florida and agreed to package it for us, which will save significant costs. Costs to ship the machine from San Fransisco to Phoenix will cost $427.77. We will ship it directly to the repair shop to avoid additional expenses, and they will use their forklift to remove it from the truck, which saves money vs. transferring it to a lift-gate equipped local truck.

From there, we have two options with the soda machine: if it is repaired in time, it could be picked up by Dash Across America's John Bush and used at the Jackalope Freedom Festival and subsequent events on that tour. A second option is to store the machine here in Phoenix with the intention of using it for future conferences, as a demo machine for Evan and I to show prospective business partners / investors, and preserve it (assuming we are successful) as an article of potential historical significance that belongs to the network. If local transport is needed, Evan and I should be able to borrow a trailer and go move it ourselves, so there should be no additional transport costs.

Requested funding is as follows for the August 5th budget cycle:
  • 28.62 Dash for color handouts ($256.89 USD @ $8.976 per July 26th average rate at https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/price-dash.html)
  • 41.60 Dash for conference giveaways and placards ($373.43 USD)
  • 61.27 Dash for reimbursement of soda machine transport costs from FL to CA ($550.00 USD)
  • 47.66 Dash for transport of soda machine to Phoenix repair shop ($427.77 USD)
  • 15.60 Dash for coolant recharge ($140.00)
  • 5.00 Dash reimbursement for the proposal cost
Total: 199.75 Dash

Note: Any unused funds from this conferences and travel budget will be directed toward other future conferences-related expenses.

Manually vote YES on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 2f9d279ae4f9ccf050c0a243d0750e3f12a1096b259cd36f8cffa26a496ccb94 yes
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 2f9d279ae4f9ccf050c0a243d0750e3f12a1096b259cd36f8cffa26a496ccb94 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 2f9d279ae4f9ccf050c0a243d0750e3f12a1096b259cd36f8cffa26a496ccb94 no
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 2f9d279ae4f9ccf050c0a243d0750e3f12a1096b259cd36f8cffa26a496ccb94 no

Last edited:
oaxaca should be repaid ASAP ! in DASH, of course.

Surely a repair person can be engaged in and about every major city of the US without extensive shipping !!! Yikes !

IMO... Newbie Opinion, that is... Set up two more DASH vending machines so they may remain regional and extensive shipping costs are not incurred.
Any mc trailer can haul a vending machine and mc's are hauled to all sorts of party runs, nationwide...

Best
rc

Edit: I just found many soda machines for sale on Craigslist for $100 - $500usd.
(My bet is they would accept DASH ! ) ...the seller, that is ! lol Your fabricator of the wifi digital unit could surely build 'black box' conversion units which could be connected to some popular brand of soda machine mechanism...

Last edited:
cross post from dash whale...
the soda machine is getting expensive and should probably be retired to a permanent home after john bush's trip. i think he was wanting to put it in his bookstore which would be a great place for it. either that or on display in new hampshire next to the btc vending machine where it will get used.
maybe bring it out once a year for the big btc conference or porch fest etc.

i would suggest putting together a new proposal for a small portable dash vending machine that holds chips and non melting candy etc. it would make life easier and still get the point across.

p.s. i like rustycase's idea of another soda machine as well.

oaxaca should be repaid ASAP ! in DASH, of course.

Surely a repair person can be engaged in and about every major city of the US without extensive shipping !!! Yikes !

IMO... Newbie Opinion, that is... Set up two more DASH vending machines so they may remain regional and extensive shipping costs are not incurred.
Any mc trailer can haul a vending machine and mc's are hauled to all sorts of party runs, nationwide...

Best
rc

Edit: I just found many soda machines for sale on Craigslist for $100 - $500usd.
(My bet is they would accept DASH ! ) ...the seller, that is ! lol Your fabricator of the wifi digital unit could surely build 'black box' conversion units which could be connected to some popular brand of soda machine mechanism...

I think Rusty has some great ideas here. If we can have a few machines strategically placed around the country it would be much less expensive than hauling the one machine all over the place.

On the other hand, I like the idea of caring for this one, fixing 'er up and possibly even keeping her with Evan after John takes her to the Jackalope Freedom Festival event and on to Atlanta if that works out (don't know schedule) And in the mean time, we should have several machines made up in strategic locations - especially where up and coming events are scheduled. I don't know, at some point it might become old though.... LOL

Definitely take care of it and send it to Evan et al for safe keeping at the future Dash HQ :)

Thank you everyone, for voting so quickly on this one... I have already gone ahead and requested the pickup, since it looks certain to pass.

cross post from dash whale...
the soda machine is getting expensive and should probably be retired to a permanent home after john bush's trip. i think he was wanting to put it in his bookstore which would be a great place for it. either that or on display in new hampshire next to the btc vending machine where it will get used.
maybe bring it out once a year for the big btc conference or porch fest etc.

i would suggest putting together a new proposal for a small portable dash vending machine that holds chips and non melting candy etc. it would make life easier and still get the point across.

p.s. i like rustycase's idea of another soda machine as well.

The Dash Mobile definitely wants one!

Back