• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Zeronet, Openbazaar & market places

Dworf

Like all applications, DASH need a big community to rise its value. Market places are naturally the best way to use a currency. But Eb*y and Ama*on even do not accept Bitcoin for payments - not to talk about DASH. There were some discussions about a Openbazaar fork for DASH support. But since OB itself is not a killer app for now it seems unlikely that it will be in the near future. Another suggestion was to implement a darkmarket. But I think that is the wrong way for a serious currency since it would just give the whole project a shady touch.

To solve this problem (and some more with Eb*y et al) I suggest a project to implement a completely decentralized market on Zeronet with DASH and Bitcoin as primary payment solutions. The idea originated before: http://themerkle.com/zerobazaar-combines-zeronet-with-openbazaar/
But it looks like the development has been stopped (or never started).

Basically there is Bitsquare which proves that decentralized markets with cryptocurrencies can work quite well. But it does not use Zeronet (which it does not need to use since all data is in local setups or the blockchain). It has the same shortcoming like Openbazaar - if the application is not running the offers are not visible. But Zeronet could solve this problem since it shares all data over its peers and make it independent of a single peer running or not.

So my suggestion for a very basic architectural overview would be:

1) create a single site ID (Zite in Zeronet) for the market place overview and search (that may be subject of change in later stages)

2) for any offerer of selling goods a new zite must be automatically created which binds his identity (derived from his ZeroID) and offers.

3) payments as well as trading status are stored on a blockchain (DASH ?). If a trade is initiated both participants secure the trade with a fund into a simple smartcontract (multisignature address).

The idea is to drive the discussion on this. If anyone is interested he may participate. If the outcome of the discussion is well accepted and sufficient resources to implement the market are available it may go over into a proposal to fund this project.

I realise bitsquare and openbazaar are not the same, but I just want to re-iterate my support for adding dash to bitsquare as a native currency. While you say it's a disadvantage for offers to disappear when the software isn't running, I personally prefer it that way and consider it an advantage.

I've tried to encourage Manfred to make a proposal but I don't think it got very far. But I'm just hoping so much that someone else here can try to talk him around / offer the help he needs. I get the impression he's overworked and could do with some help.. but then I also wonder if there are project management issues.

Anyway, someone please PLEASE get behind the bitsquare project because it works and has a lot of potential.

This is really interesting
there (now) is so much talk with OB coming on TOR (couple of month) and honestly i do not get it , as OB is really not the app it was supposed to be

That zero bazaar sounds cool (have to read up to it)
i saw and read the diiscussion on Telegram group
maybe @akhavr and @ashmoran (OB guys) can ship into this discussion

I belive (and i really do not know too much about it) that something like this should be run independent (not Official Dash),
there is a whole legal tail behind it + it should be an Open - Bazaar to BTC and Dash, the more you put the Dash label on the less other (BTC and other crypto pips) u will get on there
running the hashes over Dash Blockchain - i would not suggest and solve this in another way

coolest would be if something like this is developed and launched by community people or a 3rd Party.

Edit:
bitsquare.io is an exchange not a marketplace (sell and buy goods)

3) payments as well as trading status are stored on a blockchain (DASH ?). If a trade is initiated both participants secure the trade with a fund into a simple smartcontract (multisignature address).

At first glance, it sounds like the trade status would be better managed as an Evolution service – it doesn't need to be permanently recorded on the blockchain as it isn't needed to derive spendable balances.

Anyway, someone please PLEASE get behind the bitsquare project because it works and has a lot of potential.

A useful first step might be to speak to the Bitsquare developers and see how receptive they are to the idea. From what I've seen from comments on Reddit, the lead developer of OpenBazaar doesn't see any problems with Bitcoin, which means a patch to add Dash support would be have to be really compelling to be merged.

The biggest immediate issue with OpenBazaar-Dash integration is that the necessary code dependencies (btcsuite/btcd) haven't been ported to Dash. It would also be worth checking that the necessary dependencies have been ported to support Bitsquare. I spent quite a while on OB integration before I realised it was impossible :)

adding to the bitsquare discussion:
@tungfa mentioned it already - there is a difference between Bitsquare and Openbazaar since Bitsquare is an exchange and Openbazaar is a generalized market
anyways both of them have the same shortcoming - as soon as the client is switched of the offers disappear

Zeronet (maybe also the DASH Evolution drive?) would provide a solid base to keep the offers persistent without any client running continuously.

Sorry for a bit late reply...

I know how to implement such solution, be it a fork of an original OB, or a zeronet, or wait for Dash EvoDrive, or going straight to IPFS to store the offers and trades. Yet, right now I'm short on resources, so I can't do it as a classic free opensource project.

And before starting work on a budget proposal, I'd better know what would be marketing channels for such product: how it will reach the sellers and buyers? Building two-sided market always was the hard thing, doing it in crypto is even harder, becase the audience is smaller.

Even better, if there would be a co-author of budget proposal, who will cover the marketing/sales/business development side of such venture. Coding and deployment is on me.

Like all applications, DASH need a big community to rise its value. Market places are naturally the best way to use a currency. But Eb*y and Ama*on even do not accept Bitcoin for payments - not to talk about DASH. There were some discussions about a Openbazaar fork for DASH support. But since OB itself is not a killer app for now it seems unlikely that it will be in the near future. Another suggestion was to implement a darkmarket. But I think that is the wrong way for a serious currency since it would just give the whole project a shady touch.

To solve this problem (and some more with Eb*y et al) I suggest a project to implement a completely decentralized market on Zeronet with DASH and Bitcoin as primary payment solutions. The idea originated before: http://themerkle.com/zerobazaar-combines-zeronet-with-openbazaar/
But it looks like the development has been stopped (or never started).

Basically there is Bitsquare which proves that decentralized markets with cryptocurrencies can work quite well. But it does not use Zeronet (which it does not need to use since all data is in local setups or the blockchain). It has the same shortcoming like Openbazaar - if the application is not running the offers are not visible. But Zeronet could solve this problem since it shares all data over its peers and make it independent of a single peer running or not.

So my suggestion for a very basic architectural overview would be:

1) create a single site ID (Zite in Zeronet) for the market place overview and search (that may be subject of change in later stages)

2) for any offerer of selling goods a new zite must be automatically created which binds his identity (derived from his ZeroID) and offers.

The idea is to drive the discussion on this. If anyone is interested he may participate. If the outcome of the discussion is well accepted and sufficient resources to implement the market are available it may go over into a proposal to fund this project.

basically Evolution has a market place where the data is visible if nodes are running or not so Dash will be containing openbazaar-like functionality.

zeronet is cool but the main purpose is (decentralized) content provision where you can verify that content through the pubkey in the URL. In Evolution it's (decentralized) API based so content doesn't get served from Masternodes so we don't really need that function - Masternodes serve API requests and the user can verify authenticity through SPV via other nodes. For a market place, i think an API based solution is more flexible than each merchant having to serve content for their store direct from the Dash network.

we could probably extend the functionality to do what bitsquare is doing later

If anyone wants to work on this my suggestion would be join the team and consolidate resources :) although multiple solutions is always healthy i guess.

Andy

If anyone wants to work on this my suggestion would be join the team and consolidate resources :) although multiple solutions is always healthy i guess.

Is there anything to work on in Evolution? I'm still struggling to catch up on 12.1 testing thread

Is there anything to work on in Evolution? I'm still struggling to catch up on 12.1 testing thread

Hey @akhavr. most of the Evo team are split off right now working on either 12.1 or dash.org rennovation or different frontend / backend components. do you want to join the team slack? easier to connect with people and get involved there

Hey @akhavr. most of the Evo team are split off right now working on either 12.1 or dash.org rennovation or different frontend / backend components. do you want to join the team slack? easier to connect with people and get involved there

I can, but I'm not very slack person and tend to dissapear from time to time. If that's ok - send the invite?

basically Evolution has a market place where the data is visible if nodes are running or not so Dash will be containing openbazaar-like functionality. ...

is any documentation available? (timeline)
will it be Openbazaar like or a crypto market like Bitsquare?

is any documentation available? (timeline)
will it be Openbazaar like or a crypto market like Bitsquare?

As far, as I get from Evan's interviews, it would be a backend, that we, developers, can use to implement either DEX, or marketplace, or whatever. Still have to see some source code.

As usual, I might be wrong :)

Back