• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Wrong Passphrase... but I wrote it down and it used to work... now not!

Newminer

Hi, I am quite confused. I encrypted my Dash QT Wallet with a Passphrase which I wrote down. Now, couple a days later it doesn't work. Thanks God, didn't have coins on it.... but how is this possible. How can I create a new QT Wallet?

You're really really sure it's not something you're doing? Tried it from the command line with the "walletpassphrase" option? I'd swear this has happened to me before (lost nothing either thankfully) but had to admit it must have been something I was doing wrong in the end as it just can't happen. What has happened before is the wallet becoming corrupted because the client was closed before encryption had completed, more on that in a mo.

First, shut down the client and find the dash data directory (/home/"username"/.dashcore on linux) and rename the file "wallet.dat" to something else, "badpass_wallet.dat" for ex. Start up the client and it will create a new empty wallet (ie. a new wallet.dat file).

Now, back to the corrupted wallet possibility. In the data folder there's a folder called "backups", iirc unencrypted backups are deleted when a wallet is encrypted but that may only happen when encryption completes so you may have wallet files in there you can use to restore. To use shut down the client and rename or (back up and remove) your existing wallet.dat, copy the the most likely file in "backups" to the main data folder and rename to "wallet.dat", start client.

Good thing nothing's lost, hope some of that helps.

u sure u are using the correct wallet.dat ?
misspelling ?
caps locked ?

Back